Quinn vs Floyd How do we use Quinn?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Floyd and Quinn have different skill sets. Do you see us adjusting the scheme to fit the personal. Can Quinn cover? Will be be asked to? Who is gonna pick up the coverage duties of Floyd? What is the best way to use Quinn, we did not bring him here to drop in coverage. My question... How do we adjust things.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Floyd and Quinn have different skill sets. Do you see us adjusting the scheme to fit the personal. Can Quinn cover? Will be be asked to? Who is gonna pick up the coverage duties of Floyd? What is the best way to use Quinn, we did not bring him here to drop in coverage. My question... How do we adjust things.

I don't know for sure but i'm thinking Quinn is pretty much only a rusher and is decent at stopping the run but don't think covering TE's or RB's out of the backfield is something he'll be looked at for. Luckily we have two very good coverage ILB's in Trevathan and Smith so i'm sure Pagano will find ways to use them and Skrine and Gipson to help Quinn with any coverage issues. One thing L.Floyd was pretty damn good at and will be missed is his coverage skills and he was probably better than Quinn against the run as well.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
What would you rather have....a OLB that is good in coverage or pass rush? My opinion is that an OLB is more valuable as a pass rusher. The position is not a primary pass coverage position, but I am sure that Quinn will be ask to drop into the flats on occasion, and he has good speed that could allow him to be acceptable in disrupting the play.

If you have corner that can defend the run but is not very good in coverage, is he really helping the team....
Floyd was good in coverage and run defense, but he was below average at pass rush, so essentially he was a strong safety but playing out of position.....

Im not overly concerned about Quinn, because he is good at the primary duty of an OLB, not the secondary duties.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The Bears are in nickel 75% of the time so it is a bit of a moot point. Our Nickel will have 2 of Hicks/Goldman/RRH/Nichols playing inside with Mack and Quinn as the ends. They then wouldn't have coverage responsibilities as that rest of the front 7 would be Quan, DT, and Skrine.

In our base D which we only play 20-25 percent of the time, they most likely have Mack and Quinn around half the time in base leaving around 10-15% of the snaps where they actually drop into coverage.

Floyd only dropped into coverage 126 times last year or 8 times a game. Mack did so 57 times or close to 4 times a game. Neither is enough to really worry about. Floyd has 384 coverage snaps in 54 games so about 7 a game.

The fact is Floyd's coverage skills have always been greatly exaggerated by Bears fans desperate to pretend he was good at something.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
What Remy said, especially that last part!

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Quinn is pretty good at stopping the run. He is at least the equal of Floyd and I think he's better.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
As has been said, I think Quinn will not be asked to drop into coverage more than Mack, and the OLB will be in coverage a lot less now that Floyd is gone. And Quinn is capable to go into coverage when required. Kind of a boring answer. ⚗

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
With Quinn and Mack at OLB and Hicks, Goldman, RRH/Nichols at DL, those 5, I expect, are going to face a ton of max protects, so the point will be moot. Both Mack and Quinn will drop a handful of times to keep teams honest, but I expect the best year on defense in a decade.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
You want Quinn to rush more than Floyd did, and to drop in coverage less. The biggest difference though will likely be the quality of the rep, not as much what the player is asked to do.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The Bears are in nickel 75% of the time so it is a bit of a moot point. Our Nickel will have 2 of Hicks/Goldman/RRH/Nichols playing inside with Mack and Quinn as the ends. They then wouldn't have coverage responsibilities as that rest of the front 7 would be Quan, DT, and Skrine.

In our base D which we only play 20-25 percent of the time, they most likely have Mack and Quinn around half the time in base leaving around 10-15% of the snaps where they actually drop into coverage.

Floyd only dropped into coverage 126 times last year or 8 times a game. Mack did so 57 times or close to 4 times a game. Neither is enough to really worry about. Floyd has 384 coverage snaps in 54 games so about 7 a game.

The fact is Floyd's coverage skills have always been greatly exaggerated by Bears fans desperate to pretend he was good at something.
My God, that front 7. Hnnnnng.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I sure hope they do not use him like they used Floyd, then everyone is gonna be bitching about him not getting sacks.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The only question mark on this entire D is CB2.
I'm pretty optimistic about Jaylon Johnson contributing right away. Who knows, but I think we got a steal there.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
With Quinn and Mack at OLB and Hicks, Goldman, RRH/Nichols at DL, those 5, I expect, are going to face a ton of max protects, so the point will be moot. Both Mack and Quinn will drop a handful of times to keep teams honest, but I expect the best year on defense in a decade.

Well 2018 is tough to beat as ints are volatile and 2018 had a huge amount of Ints. It is not exactly a linear progression where more pressure guarantees more ints.

I suspect you see more of a Niners D ie great pass rush and D without the reliance on Ints. The Niners just grind you down.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I'm pretty optimistic about Jaylon Johnson contributing right away. Who knows, but I think we got a steal there.
The front 5 is going to make almost any DB look good.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Between Johnson and Toliver I’m relatively confident in that being handled as well.

The front 5 is going to make almost any DB look good.
Not to mention Smith and Skrine are both pretty damn good at blitzing.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
You use Quinn as a pass rusher cause that's what he does. He's not good at stopping the run and not meant to be in pass coverage so you could look at Smith and Trevathon to cover those gaps left in pass coverage.