Random Musings About The Bears.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just some thoughts as I take stock this Bears team after 6 games.

Defense

1. The last defensive play of the game to me is important moving forward. It was the 6th pressure of the game for Quinn which led the Bears. He has started off slow dealing with an injury but is slowly starting to emerge from hibernation. If he gets close to where he was last year then this D can be very dangerous.

2. The other reason it was important is because the Bears were in Dime. Over the years the Bears have rarely played dime preferring 2 LBs on the field in most passing downs. However, DeAndre Houston Carr was in the game because the Bears went Dime removing DT from the field. This is important going forward because I think the Bears need to make DT a strictly run down LB. On obvious passing downs or downs with 3 or more WRs, the Bears may be better off rotating in the safeties in DT's 2nd LB spot. We have some depth there with DHC and Bush both capable of holding their own in the run game and offering more coverage ability than DT.

3. Goldman is surely missed but the unheralded depth on this team is flashing. 5 DL rotated at the 2 DL spots next to Hicks with Nichols, RRH, Edwards, Urban and Jenkins all getting at least 15 snaps and no one getting more than 20 except for Nichols. This hopefully allows them to play full speed each snap and prevents them from getting worn down in the run game as only Jenkins really has the size to be a NT.

4. Kyle Fuller is sending the league a message. His passer rating against is 7th in the NFL despite his preference playing off man and he is putting WRs on notice that if they enter his zone trying to make a catch, there will be repercussions. Those big hits are the kind of plays that have WRs short arming or not going all out to catch a pass and will pay dividends later even if the refs haven't caught up to Fuller's brand of violent but clean football.

5. The rest of the secondary has had its ups and downs but this is a solid group. More importantly, as the pressure ramps up, there will be opportunities for these guys to make plays. They have been close a few times and the refs and Hicks (on the fumble) got in the way but these guys are getting ready to swarm if the Front 7 continues to play as they are.

Offense

1. Foles has not been great. However, he understands the offense, he understands what the defense is trying to do and generally you can count on him to diagnose things properly. Where he has struggled is in his accuracy and he takes unnecessary risks like that bone-headed interception after the D got the fumble. All and all though, he is clearly the best QB for the team right now as he is just better at running the offense even if he is more of a game manager right now.

2. I have been very critical of Kmet as he has done very little thus far but it is time for him to get on the field more. Harris is definitely a better blocker but the run game still sucks and will continue to suck so at this point you might as well play Kmet and let him develop. Any benefits Harris provides in the run game is basically wasted anyways because of the shitty OL blocking.

3. My god is this OL awful. Any good feelings from the beginning of the year was clearly the result of this OL taking advantage of 3 awful defenses. These guys couldn't block my grandmother's bridge partners at the old folks him. I was crapping on the lack of improvement of the OL all offseason and the concern that Castillo could not fix it all by himself and after initially eating a bit of crow to start the season, I am now ready to spit it out and piss on it. No one on this line is playing particularly well at the moment.

4. Mooney is the real deal but we should have drafted another WR. Miller is just too inconsistent and ARob is in his final year. More importantly, we don't really have any WRs with good YAC ability. Pretty much everything is catch the ball get a yard or two and fall to the ground. We really are missing a dynamic WR that can take the short passes this O is predicated on and turn it into YAC. Quite frankly I would not pay ARob 18-20 million and I would use that money and draft picks to get more YAC guys. That is the only way this offense is going to work and I have no idea why Nagy thought he could run the KC offense without them.

Last edited:

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Nobody wants to throw against Ejax and JJ is playing really well for a rookie. He is tightening up his technique away from this team having the best secondary in football. Quinn at 100% and Mario Edwards off the bench is slowly creeping to the best pass rush. Dangerous combo as long as the health luck continues.

Green Bay IMO is probably the only thing keeping this team from repeating 2018 with a QB that could take them there.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Kyle Fuller is playing otherworldly right now. Body slamming tightends, blowing up RBs and textbook Dexter murdering WRs. He’s a low key trash talker too, got in Stephen Davis’s face for going oob.

Having a true NT is less important than the LBs and everyone hitting their gaps and containing edge. Rush D looked a lot better this past week with the LBs hitting gaps.

Secondary is on pace for 10 passing tds against on the season.... that is insane. ‘18 Bears gave up 21 for reference...

Pass rush is moving QBs off their spot on 3 step drops. I’d like to see more Roquan blitzes on occasion. He closes so damn fast.

Last edited:

smilebit

Liked Posts:
Trevathen has picked up his play as the season has gone on, were definitely going to need him in the game against the Titans. I don't think we're going to want to see DHC and Bush trying to close gaps with Henry running through them. That game is probably where we're going to miss Goldman the most. Honestly, the Titans are probably the worst matchup for our defense right now.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Trevathen has picked up his play as the season has gone on, were definitely going to need him in the game against the Titans. I don't think we're going to want to see DHC and Bush trying to close gaps with Henry running through them. That game is probably where we're going to miss Goldman the most. Honestly, the Titans are probably the worst matchup for our defense right now.

Titans game will be an L

smilebit

Liked Posts:
Titans game will be an L
I guess it just depends on if our LB's can contain Henry, I think Smith can for the most part but Danny has been a weak link in the lineup for sure, I'm just glad he's starting to pick it up some

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Titans lost their top OL for the year yesterday.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The secondary has been way more up than down. Eddie Jackson has been targeted 3 times in the last 2 games (really 0, but he's been the closest guy in zone). He's taking away part of the field. Tashaun Gipson has quietly bottled up TEs, and I believe is the 4th least targeted safety. Of course, the Bears haven't really faced a threat at TE other than the corpse of Gronk and Evan Engram, who's more slot WR than TE. Buster Skrine has also been pretty good for the most part this year.

So, you basically have offenses scared to test Fuller and Jackson at this point. Jaylon is going to really start to get picked on. He had some rough moments the last 2 weeks, but keeps coming back and making plays when he needs to. Other than that, teams better hope the Bears forget to take Trevathan off the field in clear pass downs or Roquan reverts to the coverage he was playing the first 2 weeks of the season. Because right now, there's nowhere to go most times. Bridgewater dropped back 41 times. He was sacked 4 times (3 could be considered coverage sacks), scrambled another 8 times, and threw 13 incompletions. Even if you account for the Fuller hit, the Moore 1-hand attempt, and the deep ball miss to Moore....that's about 1/2 the dropbacks where Bridgewater didn't have an open receiver.

smilebit

Liked Posts:
Titans lost their top OL for the year yesterday.
Great, so the excuses can go for them too if the Bears win, it happened with the Lions, Falcons, Bucs, Panthers and Giants. Not like the Bears are missing guys, I mean they're missing an entire offensive line ffs

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Titans are a different animal altogether as they obviously are predicated on the run game (I have Henry as a keeper in my main FF league). So I wouldn't expect much Dime packages against them. Henry is going to get his most likely but biggest issue is play action and the fact Tanny is playing at an elite level.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
DT passer rating against is 109.6. He hasn't improved to keep him on the field. He's not even worth putting on the field in run downs. His presence allows the opposing offense to simply audible a back to put him in coverage. He's flat out useless at this point, even in the run game, and Pace would be better by signing a street FA and cutting his worthless ass.

smilebit

Liked Posts:
Titans are a different animal altogether as they obviously are predicated on the run game (I have Henry as a keeper in my main FF league). So I wouldn't expect much Dime packages against them. Henry is going to get his most likely but biggest issue is play action and the fact Tanny is playing at an elite level.
That's the part that worries me the most if Henry gets going, Henry takes off and Jaylon is in for a very bad day I think. That's why Goldman's loss is going to be so impactful, he commands doubles everytime he's on the field and Nichols and Jenkins don't. They're going to run Henry right up the middle at our NT all day.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
DT passer rating against is 109.6. He hasn't improved to keep him on the field. He's not even worth putting on the field in run downs. His presence allows the opposing offense to simply audible a back to put him in coverage. He's flat out useless at this point, even in the run game, and Pace would be better by signing a street FA and cutting his worthless ass.

DT isn't even cuttable. It might be one of the worst contracts Pace has ever done. He adds 8.5 million to the cap to cut him next year and 3 million to cut him in 2022. In 2023 when the contract voids, there is a 6 million cap hit because 2023-2025 were dummy years to spread the signing bonus over.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
DT isn't even cuttable. It might be one of the worst contracts Pace has ever done. He adds 8.5 million to the cap to cut him next year and 3 million to cut him in 2022. In 2023 when the contract voids, there is a 6 million cap hit because 2023-2025 were dummy years to spread the signing bonus over.
I said this a few months ago, it is the absolute worst contract Pace has ever given to a free agent.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Could help if the offense can get up early

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Chiefs had a mediocre defense last year and shut them out. Key is to stop the run on the early downs and minimize the play action. They can be made one dimensional. Its not mission impossible as some have made it out to be on here.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah DT obviously has pictures of Pace blowing Mitch as that is the only logical reason for the contract.