Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
But we had a pretty good running back. We didn’t have a pretty good quarterback.
Yep, 948 yards rushing screams good running back.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1. The era that ruined black quarterbacks for the Bears (Stewart/Burris)
2. The Lesbian
3. Ron Rivera being fired
4. Michael Haynes
5. Drew Brees
I was going to mention the Rivera thing. He would have been gone in a year anyway but that year may have got us another SB.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
yah she promised not to sell the team. She kept her word. I wager the next person(s) it is passed down in her will may state same in the fine print.
It's kinda understood that the team will sell when she passes. Bunch of smaller owners will have issue with the taxes. That said, the team has value and they could leverage that but it would be like heading cats and I'm sure many of them would rather have and could use the cash.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
I was going to mention the Rivera thing. He would have been gone in a year anyway but that year may have got us another SB.

Are you saying if Rivera stays in 07 we go back to the SB?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Greater possibility. Everything changes with a coordinator difference including the O etc. Call it domino or butterfly effect. With how the season actually played out, no, it likely wouldn't have mattered but I suspect it would have gone differently with Rivera there they win a few more games. Once you're in the playoffs...

We went from 5 to 28 on defense. That entire year, the D looked like the 2nd 1/2 of the SB and lacked Rivera's aggression.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
1. Trubisky. Monumental fuck up by Pace. Trading up from #3 to #2 to take him is an all-timer for not just the Bears, but the league as a whole.

2. Mel Tucker. Teams were consistently dropping 40-burgers on the Bears. It was the worst defense in the history of the organization. I still get flashbacks.

3. John Shoop. The offensive equivalent to Mel Tucker. I don't have the numbers but I can confidently say his regime produced the worst offense in Bears history. Shoop calling plays for Jonathan Quinn was unwatchable and vomit-inducing.

4. The Mistake by the Lake. Only the combo of Michael McCaskey and Ted Phillips could have looked at the new stadium plans and thought, "I like it - it's a great design. Let's do it."

5. Trestman over Arians. Decided by a fake press conference put on by Phil Emery. Emery lasted 3 years and is now a scout for the Falcons. Enough said

Terry O'Shea(?) called plays for Quinn. Shoot left the year prior when that coaching regime got canned.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
5. Cade McNown
4. Mirer trade
3. Stadium without seriously listening to Daley's retractable roof.
2. Dave McGinnis fiasco
1. Passing on Watson

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Greater possibility. Everything changes with a coordinator difference including the O etc. Call it domino or butterfly effect. With how the season actually played out, no, it likely wouldn't have mattered but I suspect it would have gone differently with Rivera there they win a few more games. Once you're in the playoffs...

We went from 5 to 28 on defense. That entire year, the D looked like the 2nd 1/2 of the SB and lacked Rivera's aggression.
Rivera was a big loss. Lovie getting more control with his new contract was just as big of a hit to the defense. The players he pushed for once he got power killed this team.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
5. Cade McNown
4. Mirer trade
3. Stadium without seriously listening to Daley's retractable roof.
2. Dave McGinnis fiasco
1. Passing on Watson

It's everything since 2000

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears

LOL! There is no way they go back to the SB just because Rivera is still there. Grossman and Griese were a shit show, the offensive line went to shit and they lost TJ. Not happening.

And 5 to 28??? Stop going by yards allowed and go to FO or PFR where offense and defense are measured more accurately. The Bears went from #2 DVOA in 06 to #12 DVOA in 07.

No fucking way they go back to the SB just cause of Rivera.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think so, much like the ship started to take on water after Vic left. Plus that 07 team had more talent in their prime than this one... but then again we lost Vasher (who I thought was overrated, but a solid corner) and Chris Harris (who I thought was overrated too, he was ok). Under Rivera they were 3rd in the league in scoring in 07 dropped to 16th. Bob Babich? He was an idiot.

That was a stacked team. Like I have said before, the 03-04 drafts were solid. Say what you want to about Rex he was 'good enough' with that defense to get them to multiple super bowls.

EDIT: note that I did NOT say *win*

Last edited:

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I really wish people would do more research on this. Thomas Jones was not good at the time they drafted Benson. Average at best.
I don't know man. In 14 games he had 948 yards (4.0 ypc), 7 TDs, 56 receptions for another 427 yards. I know he was a flop in Arizona, but almost 1400 total yards in 14 games isn't too shabby especially considering that Anthony Thomas was still on the team.

At the end of the 2004 season the Bears knew Thomas > A-Train and they already had him locked up for the following 2 years. What did they do? Draft his replacement who ended up just being a bust for the Bears.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL! There is no way they go back to the SB just because Rivera is still there. Grossman and Griese were a shit show, the offensive line went to shit and they lost TJ. Not happening.

And 5 to 28??? Stop going by yards allowed and go to FO or PFR where offense and defense are measured more accurately. The Bears went from #2 DVOA in 06 to #12 DVOA in 07.

Who gives a fuck about DVOA it's point scored, that's all that matters.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know man. In 14 games he had 948 yards (4.0 ypc), 7 TDs, 56 receptions for another 427 yards. I know he was a flop in Arizona, but almost 1400 total yards in 14 games isn't too shabby especially considering that Anthony Thomas was still on the team.

At the end of the 2004 season the Bears knew Thomas > A-Train and they already had him locked up for the following 2 years. What did they do? Draft his replacement who ended up just being a bust for the Bears.
TJ was a beast. He wasn't a flop in Arizona, he never started. He was behind Michael Pittman (which why Arizona never started TJ is idiotic, he's clearly light years better than Pittman ever could be)

Drafting Benson that year, actually should be on my list I think that was a turning point for the roster , I wanted the Bears to draft Rolle. I was so pissed.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You're way more passionate than the 07 D. Filed position, turnovers and playing with a lead helped the 05 and 06 teams a lot. The 05 O was a bigger shit show (28th) but they contended. No one said they definitely would have returned to the SB in 07 with Rivera. I said they may have had another shot if he stayed.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
Terry O'Shea(?) called plays for Quinn. Shoot left the year prior when that coaching regime got canned.

You're right. Shoop canned in 2003, Quinn was in KC 2002-2003 (played in 1 game) and then Bears 2004. Aftershocks.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You're right. Shoop canned in 2003, Quinn was in KC 2002-2003 (played in 1 game) and then Bears 2004. Aftershocks.
Shoop was still bad though. Granted he didn't have a QB to work with but every route Shoop had his WR's run were 5yd routes

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
On the field? Fumbling through the end zone against the Saints, not picking up live ball against the Packers…

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Trading 5 picks to draft Doug McDermott, I mean Mitchell Trubisky.