Rapoport thinks Bears should pickup Trubisky's option

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"To me, I would say it would make a lot of sense to do it. Most teams, when in doubt, do it. And there’s far more examples of teams, you know, declining the option and regretting it than the reverse. "

Continued: Rapoport: Exercising Trubisky's option "would make a lot of sense"

Also in this article:
(Complete history of all fifth-year options exercised since they were introduced by the 2011 CBA. Including summary of... • hit rate by team • hit rate by position • hit rate by draft pick)

EWsmWpsUwAEXQBz

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
From a neutral 3rd party analysis, I can see where he is coming from. If you look at it through the lens of our front office, you can realize why they would have less reason to do it. If Mitch can't win out in camp and Foles roles as your starter, than you look foolish for the 5th year option. If Mitch comes out of camp the starter and eventually collapses and Foles steps in, you regret the 5th year option. If Mitch truly fails outright and Foles doesn't take the team to the playoffs, the front office is likely kicked out anyways. Unless they somehow think that Mitch is going to beat all odds, there is no benefit to the 5th year option and if they still want him to ride the bench as a backup, you throw him something other than 5th year option money.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Obviously not re-signing Trubisky is the cheapest route, so putting that aside: wouldn't picking up his option be the cheapest route? Surely you wouldn't want to franchise him.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
"To me, I would say it would make a lot of sense to do it. Most teams, when in doubt, do it. And there’s far more examples of teams, you know, declining the option and regretting it than the reverse. "

Continued: Rapoport: Exercising Trubisky's option "would make a lot of sense"

Also in this article:
(Complete history of all fifth-year options exercised since they were introduced by the 2011 CBA. Including summary of... • hit rate by team • hit rate by position • hit rate by draft pick)

EWsmWpsUwAEXQBz

I think they need to move on from their mistakes. Shaheen and Trubisky need to go.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Obviously not re-signing Trubisky is the cheapest route, so putting that aside: wouldn't picking up his option be the cheapest route? Surely you wouldn't want to franchise him.

5th year option and transition tag are basically the same for Trubisky, around 24.8Mil. I think the smart PR move would be to decline the option. Stupid fans would be up in arms if they picked up his option. If he plays and plays well in 2020, you can use the transition tag over the franchise tag. While you get no compensation if a team signs a player on a transition tag, it's not like anyone is giving up 2 firsts for Trubisky on a franchise tag, after 1 good year of play. I don't think there's much risk of anyone signing him to a deal on the transition tag either. Treat this just like the Kyle Fuller situation. Don't pick up the option. Make him earn it. It's no risk either way.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
5th year option and transition tag are basically the same for Trubisky, around 24.8Mil. I think the smart PR move would be to decline the option. Stupid fans would be up in arms if they picked up his option. If he plays and plays well in 2020, you can use the transition tag over the franchise tag. While you get no compensation if a team signs a player on a transition tag, it's not like anyone is giving up 2 firsts for Trubisky on a franchise tag, after 1 good year of play. I don't think there's much risk of anyone signing him to a deal on the transition tag either. Treat this just like the Kyle Fuller situation. Don't pick up the option. Make him earn it. It's no risk either way.
Agreed...patience is a virtue.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
This guy will be like fake news cnn “they should pick up his option”......bears pick up the option a month later he will say “those dumbasses should never have picked up his option”

Canth

Liked Posts:
Anyone know if Trubisky and Rapoport share an agent....? :)

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Unless they change the rules it's the strategically correct move. If he sucks you drop him. If he doesn't suck you can either drop him, or keep that 5th year to discuss an extension. I fully expect him to be gone, but that doesn't mean you get stupid about it.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It really doesn't hurt the bears to give him the option, they can always rescind it like they did to leonard floyd and just outright cut him.

So now I’m confused. Why is there a deadline to decide whether or not you’re going to pick up the fifth year option if you can just rescind it a year later? What am I missing?

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
So now I’m confused. Why is there a deadline to decide whether or not you’re going to pick up the fifth year option if you can just rescind it a year later? What am I missing?

It becomes guaranteed in the event of an injury. Not a chance I would want to take.

msadows

Liked Posts:
It becomes guaranteed in the event of an injury. Not a chance I would want to take.

It has to be an injury that prevents him from playing next year.

That rarely happens. But yes, its a risk. With trubiskys history and playstyle it could happen, but doubtful.