Rate the last movie you watched

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Are you guys talking about Blade Runner (1982), or Blade Runner 2049?

Im assuming, Bearsombie, you're talking about the 1982 version, right?

The original '82 film is a feast for the eyes and brain with its shot selection and lighting. I've only seen it 3 times. But I enjoyed it more the older I got.

Blade Runner 2049 is 2h 44m long. Honestly, for a film like this you have to commit to spending 2h 44m to see it. And it's a shame you can't see it in the theatre anymore, as that's the place to see it. It sets up its environment/world, which takes time. I'm not saying it isn't slow. Slow doesn't mean bad. It's the type of film it is.

This might just not be the type of film you like. I didn't like 2049 near as much as 1982, but I was still entertained.

The original was a very good movie with a great story... but the studio ruined it.
The voice over and the ending pretty much shit all over what was being told by the movie itself.

The second one was entertaining but pointless.

In a perfect cut of the movie, they would spend far less time on the identification methods for replicants and the creepy buildup to the love story and spent more time establishing the replicant "family ".

They spent a criminally short time on Roy, and his arc.
Him going from murderous replicant to ultimately forgiving Deckard and saving his life should have been more of a focus.

They show him fighting the physical shutdown of his body but don't really dig in to how he became "human" and placed a value on all life, no matter who it is.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
The original was a very good movie with a great story... but the studio ruined it.
The voice over and the ending pretty much shit all over what was being told by the movie itself.

The second one was entertaining but pointless.

In a perfect cut of the movie, they would spend far less time on the identification methods for replicants and the creepy buildup to the love story and spent more time establishing the replicant "family ".

They spent a criminally short time on Roy, and his arc.
Him going from murderous replicant to ultimately forgiving Deckard and saving his life should have been more of a focus.

They show him fighting the physical shutdown of his body but don't really dig in to how he became "human" and placed a value on all life, no matter who it is.
Haven't heard it said better than that. You're right, the climax of the film is Roy saving Deckard, and perhaps the biggest moment is Roy killing his "father", but we hardly know who this guy is. Seems like there should have been much more, as you say, to his story arc, who he was. The film kind of just makes him a monster villain the first 3/4 of the story, which just doesn't fit the main themes of the film.

Did you think the Ridley Director's Cut fixes the issues?

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Haven't heard it said better than that. You're right, the climax of the film is Roy saving Deckard, and perhaps the biggest moment is Roy killing his "father", but we hardly know who this guy is. Seems like there should have been much more, as you say, to his story arc, who he was. The film kind of just makes him a monster villain the first 3/4 of the story, which just doesn't fit the main themes of the film.

Did you think the Ridley Director's Cut fixes the issues?

Minimally- but they could have done so much better.
It still felt like Deckard and his love interest were the sole focus and Batty just was just something to overcome.... which would have been fine if Batty was a static monster just there for danger and suspense.

BUT- at the end of the day, Batty is a christ figure.
The dove protected in one hand, the old school nail through the other.
Giving his life to be the savior of his people...
(Deckard hunts and kills his people, Battys actions ended that extermination.)

And they really dropped the ball on fleshing out the motivation.
They pretty much just flat out stated it at the end, which fell flat.

His speech, while awesome, was a shortcut.

It would have been cool to see him flash back to the first time he registered awe, wonder, love, loss, regret, and ultimately realize that all life is precious.

The Deckard question is a big one... but Batty is the redemption in the film.

So perhaps I am too focused on how Batty became the redemption...But that is the more interesting story to me.

Perhaps I was meant to accept Batty as the magical savior as a macguffin, and focus on Deckard as mankind and accept that as the story.
The entire story is biblical (snake, pyramid, nail, dove, immaculate creation, struggling to find the reason for being)... with a twist.
If Batty is Jesus, Tyrell is god, and Batty killed him. Batty also has no ressurection.
Is Deckard Peter or Judas?
Is it possible Batty is an old testament god? He saw thing that will be lost to time (miracles, creation, wonderous things) and we are to be left wondering if Deckard in his new path becomes jesus? Batty "creating" the new Deckard, setting him on his course?

I guess at the end of the day I still wonder if the story is incomplete or derailed. The directors cut nullified the lame happy ending and left it open ended... but I do have to wonder what other visions never made it to film at all.
I would love to see a really good pass made at the movie that gives Scott impunity to tell it like he wants.

Last edited:

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Another small point on the directors cut- It sucks that it took so long to come out and it sucks that I had watched the original and had that distorting my thoughts.
Watching the directors cut knowing the studio forced additions that altered things greatly, I still have that tainting my absorption of what is being told.
Maybe one day soon I will sit and watch it again and do my best to go scene by scene and watch it as new.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
BUT- at the end of the day, Batty is a christ figure.
The dove protected in one hand, the old school nail through the other.
Giving his life to be the savior of his people...
(Deckard hunts and kills his people, Battys actions ended that extermination.)
It's been quite a while since I saw the film (Director's Cut last). Why/how did Batty's actions end the extermination of replicants? I know Deckard went his own way, and won't be a blade runner anymore, but I don't know why there won't be other blade runners just the same as always?

And they really dropped the ball on fleshing out the motivation.
They pretty much just flat out stated it at the end, which fell flat.

His speech, while awesome, was a shortcut.

It would have been cool to see him flash back to the first time he registered awe, wonder, love, loss, regret, and ultimately realize that all life is precious.
I would love to see a really good pass made at the movie that gives Scott impunity to tell it like he wants.
Absolutely. I read on wiki there were 7 versions of the film; but there probably wasn't much film shot of Batty's story. Maybe it wasn't in the script either. I'd like to see Ridley, or someone else shoot new material for the film where necessary, or just make a better version.

If Batty is Jesus, Tyrell is god, and Batty killed him. Batty also has no ressurection.
Is Deckard Peter or Judas?
Is it possible Batty is an old testament god? He saw thing that will be lost to time (miracles, creation, wonderous things) and we are to be left wondering if Deckard in his new path becomes jesus? Batty "creating" the new Deckard, setting him on his course?
Yeah, I don't know. I kind of saw it as the latter, Deckard is new creation and living the new life.

Last edited:

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Concrete Cowboy

Decent acting.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Blade Runner is a visionary movie made by an extremely talented director. It does require the patience of an adult to watch and enjoy it.

I wonder what children think of Apocalypse Now? This mentality is the reason we’re inundated with super hero and Star Wars movies and all of the other mindless shit that is released these days.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Finally saw the new Bill and Ted. I think I might have slightly chuckled (and that's being kind) maybe once in the entire movie. It's surprising that it received such great rotten tomato scores. I mean, I wouldn't call it "shit" exactly -- the story, structure, and pace are fine enough -- but isn't the whole point of a Bill and Ted movie supposed to be comedy? It really was a non-funny movie to me.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Blade Runner is a visionary movie made by an extremely talented director. It does require the patience of an adult to watch and enjoy it.

I wonder what children think of Apocalypse Now? This mentality is the reason we’re inundated with super hero and Star Wars movies and all of the other mindless shit that is released these days.
Yeah, pretty much. Hasn't been a lot of good cerebral films in the last decade. What's a few you've seen?

Not that any of these are Oscar nomination films, but cerebral films worth a look: Anon (2018) a committed sci-fi film. Jupiter Ascending (2015), Cloud Atlas (2012) are Wachowskis Siblings films (The Matrix) that are worth a watch.

Speaking of super hero movies, there's been been a few admirable tries at some higher content, like Days of Future Past and Sam Rami's Spiderman 2.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Yeah, pretty much. Hasn't been a lot of good cerebral films in the last decade. What's a few you've seen?

Not that any of these are Oscar nomination films, but cerebral films worth a look: Anon (2018) a committed sci-fi film. Jupiter Ascending (2015), Cloud Atlas (2012) are Wachowskis Siblings films (The Matrix) that are worth a watch.

Speaking of super hero movies, there's been been a few admirable tries at some higher content, like Days of Future Past and Sam Rami's Spiderman 2.
Solaris, The Social Network, Michael Clayton, Pulp Fiction, Up in the Air, There Will Be Blood, almost anything from the Coens, Memento, The Irishman and Nomadland are the types of films I enjoy.

Certainly not all cerebral but made for adults looking to be entertained...
I definitely enjoyed the first Matrix film.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:

It was decent, but I felt like it was missing something. Maybe, it the genre (based on IRL), but the last 4 movies (This, Concrete Cowboy, The Express, 12 Strong) Ive seen left me wanting here and there. Maybe the IRL translation to the big screen just loses something in the Hollywood formulaic process. IDK

Maybe, Im just missing something, it's possible.

Last edited:

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Solaris, The Social Network, Michael Clayton, Pulp Fiction, Up in the Air, There Will Be Blood, almost anything from the Coens, Memento, The Irishman and Nomadland are the types of films I enjoy.

Certainly not all cerebral but made for adults looking to be entertained...
I definitely enjoyed the first Matrix film.
Loved Solaris. Pulp is one of fav films. Clayton and Up in the Air were excellent (three Cloney films). Memento is a great pick for a good cerebral film. I found There Will Be Blood a bit labored, like sort of a darkly exhausting experience without much of an ending payoff. I haven't seen Irishman or Nomadland.

Actually, a good comedy in the sci-fi vein was Palm Springs (2020) hulu exclusive, but be sure you do not find out anything about it before you watch it. I had no idea where it was going, or what was going to happen next... love experiencing that in a film.

These were also good cerebral films: Primer (2004), Being John Malkovich (1999), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004), Gattaca (1997), The Huckabees (2004), Edge of Tomorrow (2014).

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Loved Solaris. Pulp is one of fav films. Clayton and Up in the Air were excellent (three Cloney films). Memento is a great pick for a good cerebral film. I found There Will Be Blood a bit labored, like sort of a darkly exhausting experience without much of an ending payoff. I haven't seen Irishman or Nomadland.

Actually, a good comedy in the sci-fi vein was Palm Springs (2020) hulu exclusive, but be sure you do not find out anything about it before you watch it. I had no idea where it was going, or what was going to happen next... love experiencing that in a film.

These were also good cerebral films: Primer (2004), Being John Malkovich (1999), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004), Gattaca (1997), The Huckabees (2004), Edge of Tomorrow (2014).
I really enjoyed Palm Springs and I’ve watched and liked every other film you suggested but Primer. I’ll check that out. Thanks Sculpt...

The Huckabees director David O’ Russell also made 3 Kings, Flirting with Disaster, The Fighter and American Hustle. All really good movies... He has other films too but those stand out for me.

Apocalypse Now is one of my all time favorites along with the first two Godfather films. Love Goodfellas too...

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys talking about Tarkovsky's Solaris or the remake?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
You guys talking about Tarkovsky's Solaris or the remake?
I was talking about the Steven Soderbergh' Solaris (2002) version; because I'm pretty sure playthrough2001 is talking about that version.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was talking about the Steven Soderbergh' Solaris (2002) version; because I'm pretty sure playthrough2001 is talking about that version.

I haven't seen that one, but the original may be my favorite sci-fi film. I know a lot of people prefer Stalker for his work, but I love Solaris.

And speaking of Tarkovsky, Mirror is getting a Criterion release in July. I've only seen it once, but I remember it having really fantastic imagery.

Here's the trailer for it:

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This popped up in the aforementioned video's related videos. It's also one of the last films I've watched and one of the most brutal.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I saw Wrath of Man yesterday. I didn’t think it was great, but I’d say it was worth a watch. Jason Statham was pretty good.