Rate the last movie you watched

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I had to google the connection, and as a result added "Stalker" to my list.
Solaris was my first love. Mirror is so good too. Stalker is good, but hmmm. It's good. I wanna say the most straight forward? You'll also see how much all sci Fi sucks. Like I watched Moon and was like yeah yeah yeah seen and done.

Granada

Liked Posts:
We had a film study elective class in high school.
The teacher said something that has always stuck with me.
"You can watch a classic, get the point entirely, appreciate what is being said, yet still not be impressed. It doesnt mean you missed anything. It doesnt mean you dont appreciate the medium. It is all a result of personal preference, and if you dont like the presentation that is just fine".

I for one am not a fan of slow moving, slow dialogue movies with lingering framing shots and dim lighting to set moods. It feels like overkill and puts me to sleep.
I will admit without hesitation that i absolutely went out of my head with boredom at the Godfather franchise.

weirdly enough I liked the presentation of "blade runner" even though it relied heavily on that, but despised the new blade runner for relying on it.
Movie enjoyment is hit or miss for me.
Great post, know exactly what you mean. I remember feeling that same boredom with Deer Hunter. Sometimes I can stomach it, sometimes I can't. Deer Hunter is one where I can't; it's a decent movie, but it isn't one of my favorites. The Godfathers have always been easier for me; even Saints of Newark I enjoyed. I've never seen the Irishman, but I've heard it's utterly atrocious.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I enjoyed it.
I hated emo bruce wayne, but thankfully that was kept to a minimum.

No spoilers, nothing about the plot itself in this comment...

They did something unique that I really enjoyed in this version- they came up with a logical way for batman to move around the city without attracting attention.
Several times he had to get from here to there and instead of a big gaudy batmobile, He jumped on a bike in plain clothes.
He was in the batsuit, had to get to the batsignal or whatnot, and he threw on a regular coat and helmet and ripped through the streets on the bike only to get there and change back.

I always had an issue overlooking the batmobile flying all over the city in traffic.
there are some blocakages or congestion that you absolutely could not get past, even on the sidewalk.
Since he didnt have a flying option, I appreciated a realistic means of transportation.
I finally saw The Batman and I agree, I liked it overall. I'm not into superhero movies normally, but this one was enjoyable. It was ambitious in that they were trying to mix Batman with Seven with some Taxi Driver, etc. I also liked how a few scenes were callbacks to scenes from other Batmans -- this was started by other directors, and it's like a weird tradition. Like the Bar scene where Batman goes to see the Penguin for the first time; and when Bruce is seeing Alfred, I couldn't help but think of the scene in the Joker when Fleck sees his mother in the hospital -- they both say "you lied" (or something to that effect). There were other scenes that were more obvious callbacks but I can't remember them now.

But what I really liked about it was how they made it more realistic, like you said -- not just with Batman, but with everything. The aesthetics, maybe not so much with the batsuit, but with Catwoman's suit and especially the Riddler's; that's really clothing anyone can get their hands on, which was cool. And the vehicles were just motorcycles; the batmobile was a bit exaggerated like usual, but compared to other batmobiles, it was definitely the most realistic looking one -- it wasn't some military-grade fucking tank rolling down the street, for example. And the Riddler using the dark web and social media was also a nice touch.

The casting was also spectacular. Dano, Pattinson, Kravitz -- just great and really did a solid job, in my view. Commissioner Gordon (forget his real name) and Ferrell were also good.

But yes, it's way too long. Really, no movie should be close to 3 hours long.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I finally saw The Batman and I agree, I liked it overall. I'm not into superhero movies normally, but this one was enjoyable. It was ambitious in that they were trying to mix Batman with Seven with some Taxi Driver, etc. I also liked how a few scenes were callbacks to scenes from other Batmans -- this was started by other directors, and it's like a weird tradition. Like the Bar scene where Batman goes to see the Penguin for the first time; and when Bruce is seeing Alfred, I couldn't help but think of the scene in the Joker when Fleck sees his mother in the hospital -- they both say "you lied" (or something to that effect). There were other scenes that were more obvious callbacks but I can't remember them now.

But what I really liked about it was how they made it more realistic, like you said -- not just with Batman, but with everything. The aesthetics, maybe not so much with the batsuit, but with Catwoman's suit and especially the Riddler's; that's really clothing anyone can get their hands on, which was cool. And the vehicles were just motorcycles; the batmobile was a bit exaggerated like usual, but compared to other batmobiles, it was definitely the most realistic looking one -- it wasn't some military-grade fucking tank rolling down the street, for example. And the Riddler using the dark web and social media was also a nice touch.

The casting was also spectacular. Dano, Pattinson, Kravitz -- just great and really did a solid job, in my view. Commissioner Gordon (forget his real name) and Ferrell were also good.

But yes, it's way too long. Really, no movie should be close to 3 hours long.

On the batmobile- gaudy and outlandish but it does appear to be an item a guy with tons of money could build under the radar for the most part.

My nerdy side was waiting for Kravitz to make some sort of fury road reference... because you could take that batmobile and throw it in to fury road and I doubt anyone would look twice at it.

The movie did have a se7en feel to it for sure, and I thought they did the detective part of batman justice. (Also shoutout to the penquin for calling them the world's greatest detectives sarcastically- that phrase is frequently used to describe bats).

Quite honestly I think if I had to categorize this movie in to a single genre, I would pick mystery over action.

I appreciate the cgi of the justice league and avengers movies, but this was a welcome break from that.

They felt similar to the Nolan movies with conventional stunts yet had a less grating batman.
The villain was very well done.
Before this i couldn't imagine enjoying the riddler as a villain- the new take was excellent and fit right in.

Your point about the costume was solid- it made you feel like it could actually be possible for a guy like that to exist.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great post, know exactly what you mean. I remember feeling that same boredom with Deer Hunter. Sometimes I can stomach it, sometimes I can't. Deer Hunter is one where I can't; it's a decent movie, but it isn't one of my favorites. The Godfathers have always been easier for me; even Saints of Newark I enjoyed. I've never seen the Irishman, but I've heard it's utterly atrocious.
Right there with you with Deer Hunter.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I liked deerhunter. My dad was a veteran and I remember watching it at like 4 years old

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The Shawshank Redemption

A+

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

??

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The Shawshank Redemption

A+

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

??
Anything with Morgan freeman gets a one star upgrade on him alone.
He killed it in that movie.

Steven King has had a lot of shitty movies made from great books, and often the character portrayals suck ass.

Freeman in that movie and the creepy fat fuck who played Will Darnell in Christine were fucking awesome though.
Reading the books I can only picture the actors now.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Steven King has had a lot of shitty movies made from great books, and often the character portrayals suck ass.

Freeman in that movie and the creepy fat fuck who played Will Darnell in Christine were fucking awesome though.
I never read the book but seeing the movie after doing a ghost investigation at the prison in Ohio made the movie very interesting. And I agree with your assessment of Freeman. He was the narrator on some science shows I used to watch. He made them more interesting.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I never read the book but seeing the movie after doing a ghost investigation at the prison in Ohio made the movie very interesting. And I agree with your assessment of Freeman. He was the narrator on some science shows I used to watch. He made them more interesting.
455.jpg

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Currently watching Flight of the Navigator to sate my childhood nostalgia.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I liked deerhunter. My dad was a veteran and I remember watching it at like 4 years old
I wasn't quite that young when I watched it. I think I was like 8, maybe. I distinctly remember the first time watching it, as a kid, I was seriously going out of my mind with boredom for like the first hour of that movie -- the wedding scene, the hunting scene, etc.

It's somewhat funny to think of kids that age watching that movie, lol. I think parents nowadays would have a heart attack at the thought.

Granada

Liked Posts:

Oh man, same thing happened to me with regarding to the book/movie with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and American Psycho. Once you see the movie, the book is essentially ruined, as half the fun of reading is imagining the characters and the surroundings yourself.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Watched Embattled with Stephen Dorff over the weekend (Showtime) about a successful MMA fighter and his son(s). Always been a fan of his, solid movie. Somewhat of an unrealistic premise at the end, but well-done overall. I'm not much of an MMA fan, but you don't have to be to enjoy this movie. I will say though, that the fighting scenes were beautifully shot.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
4 years ago, Morgan Freeman came into a blues club I was playing at in Memphis..He is a huge lover of the blues. He complimented us. Great night!
I was on a jury a few years back, and the only reason the forman was selected was because he looked exactly like Morgan Freeman. The judge even commented on it when we were all done.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Gentlemen

Guy Richie's best movie in a long time...which still doesn't make it a great movie, but the most fun since 'Snatch". Matthew McConaughey & Colin Ferrell shine amoung a forgettable cast of characters.

If you enjoyed Guy Richie 20 years ago & have Netflix, it's worth the two hours. Otherwise...meh.

6/10

Bearey Palpatine

Liked Posts:
Sonic 2, Secrets of Dumbledore, and Dr Strange 2. Out of the three Sonic was the most enjoyable. Strange had it moments but dragged on a tad to long. Both are good and worth giving a go in cinema. Dumbledore I would wait on and only if you actually like the Fantastic Beast movies.