Rate the last movie you watched

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Oh man, same thing happened to me with regarding to the book/movie with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and American Psycho. Once you see the movie, the book is essentially ruined, as half the fun of reading is imagining the characters and the surroundings yourself.

The last sentence nails it.
Horror stories are my favorite fiction to read but are my least favorite genre of movie.
The brain is way better at putting together a gloomy dark atmosphere with the impactful details in sharp focus and everything else inconsequential.
Movies can never get that feel to me.

... although, if you haven't done so, read Stephen kings short story "the mist" (in the skeleton crew collection).

Then watch the movie.

It is worth the effort, I promise. Book first, then movie.

It is one of the times where knowing the story, having my own opinions on everyone, and then watching it play out was just a jackpot of an experience.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is there anything worth watching on Amazon prime?

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really unsafe that this dude is driving while basically deaf.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll give it a sold c+ after consideration of LGS solid score of that pile of shit Swiss Army Man. It was ok.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Once upon a time in hollywood.. had a few moments, but meh.. Q needs to get back to slaying massive amounts of ppl.. Need a Django 2

Granada

Liked Posts:
Is there anything worth watching on Amazon prime?
I had Amazon for a year recently and I really didn't think it was good, I watched about 6 or 7 things I always wanted to see on it, then couldn't find anything else I wanted to watch, so I cancelled it. That said, these stand out:

Wheeler with Stephen Dorff is really solid. He assumed a fake identity, so the majority of people he comes across in the film think he's an actual musician; and since he has a musical background, he pulls it off beautifully, since he plays and sings the songs. He meets with real record producers, musicians, and studio guys in Nashville. It's sort of like Borat in that it's a "fake" documentary, but serious. It also has a real life tragic backstory, as Dorff's brother (who was starting to become a big-time real-life songwriter) helped him with the soundtrack of the film, but died I want to say during the release of the movie. Anyways, fantastic acting by Dorff and the music he plays is actually damn good (and I'm not a country fan, but still).

Beautiful Boy with Steve Carrell and Timothy Chalamet (or whatever) is also not bad. Great acting, based on a true story about a father's struggle with his son's heroin addiction.

Kid 90 -- documentary about the 90's by Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster). Was expecting it to be better, but if you're a 90's kid, you might like that. I stress, might -- I thought it was okay.

If you're an Elliott Smith fan, Heaven Adores You is on Amazon too, which is a documentary on his life.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The new Top Gun movie is getting heaps of praise. That really surprises me.
I thought it would be good because Tom isn't going to revive something as iconic as Top Gun without a great script and team behind it but i am very surprised at how universally praised it is. My only reservation about this movie is Miles Teller. I hate that guy. When i went to see Dr Strange opening night they showed about 5min of action from Maverick during the previews and it looks awesome.

Got my tickets for next Thursday. Cannot wait.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I thought it would be good because Tom isn't going to revive something as iconic as Top Gun without a great script and team behind it but i am very surprised at how universally praised it is. My only reservation about this movie is Miles Teller. I hate that guy. When i went to see Dr Strange opening night they showed about 5min of action from Maverick during the previews and it looks awesome.

Got my tickets for next Thursday. Cannot wait.
On that note, I am watching the Offer on Paramount+ and it's pretty damn good. Teller is the central character and he's not bad.

The show is about the making of the Godfather movie.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I had Amazon for a year recently and I really didn't think it was good, I watched about 6 or 7 things I always wanted to see on it, then couldn't find anything else I wanted to watch, so I cancelled it. That said, these stand out:

Wheeler with Stephen Dorff is really solid. He assumed a fake identity, so the majority of people he comes across in the film think he's an actual musician; and since he has a musical background, he pulls it off beautifully, since he plays and sings the songs. He meets with real record producers, musicians, and studio guys in Nashville. It's sort of like Borat in that it's a "fake" documentary, but serious. It also has a real life tragic backstory, as Dorff's brother (who was starting to become a big-time real-life songwriter) helped him with the soundtrack of the film, but died I want to say during the release of the movie. Anyways, fantastic acting by Dorff and the music he plays is actually damn good (and I'm not a country fan, but still).

Beautiful Boy with Steve Carrell and Timothy Chalamet (or whatever) is also not bad. Great acting, based on a true story about a father's struggle with his son's heroin addiction.

Kid 90 -- documentary about the 90's by Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster). Was expecting it to be better, but if you're a 90's kid, you might like that. I stress, might -- I thought it was okay.

If you're an Elliott Smith fan, Heaven Adores You is on Amazon too, which is a documentary on his life.
Wheeler sounds interesting. As far as Elliot Smith, when it comes to suicidal folk musicians, I like Nick Drake a lot better.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Wheeler sounds interesting. As far as Elliot Smith, when it comes to suicidal folk musicians, I like Nick Drake a lot better.
I've heard of Nick Drake but never really delved into his music, I'll have to check it out.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I know I've heard this song before, good tune. I'm almost positive it's in one of my favorite movies, The Squid and the Whale.

EDIT: never mind, I was thinking of Bert Jansch. Anyways, awesome movie and awesome soundtrack, highly recommend it. Put Jesse Eisenberg and Noah Baumbach on the map; produced by Wes Anderson.

Last edited:

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That said, I hate Frances Ha. Tell me you want to be Woody Allen without telling me you want to be Woody Allen. Also, @Heidenlarm and I have battled it out in Logan Square (actually, an Elephant & Castle in the Loop) about whether 'River Man' is better than 'Place to Be'.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That said, I hate Frances Ha. Tell me you want to be Woody Allen without telling me you want to be Woody Allen. Also, @Heidenlarm and I have battled it out in Logan Square (actually, an Elephant & Castle in the Loop) about whether 'River Man' is better than 'Place to Be'.
I mean Place to Be is a great song. Both albums the said songs come from are great. I don't care for Bryter Layter at all.