Rate the last movie you watched

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Didn't know where else to post this, but I Guess Joker 2 with Joaquin Phoenix is happening. I really enjoyed the first one, but not sure about a sequel. I think it works much better as a standalone movie, but you know, film companies just have to milk everything and it will no doubt haul a massive box-office profit.
I had a difficult time enjoying Joker. I dont think they went near far enough in to his descent in to the role.

I finished it and just sat there feeling bad for someone with massive mental issues and a rough life.

Had it been anyone other than the joker, I would have thought it was a really solid movie.

As the joker, I dont see any particular craftiness or planning... just someone snapping and killing people.

Phoenix was great in the role, but the role was lacking as an origin story about the greatest villain in comics.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I had a difficult time enjoying Joker. I dont think they went near far enough in to his descent in to the role.

I finished it and just sat there feeling bad for someone with massive mental issues and a rough life.

Had it been anyone other than the joker, I would have thought it was a really solid movie.

As the joker, I dont see any particular craftiness or planning... just someone snapping and killing people.

Phoenix was great in the role, but the role was lacking as an origin story about the greatest villain in comics.
Yeah, that's fair. What I really liked about it was how much sympathy I felt for the character, especially in the beginning. The whole thing with his laugh being due to a brain injury was just fantastic in my view and Phoenix nailed that aspect of it, making the character sympathetic -- that's what impressed me the most about his performance. I love when you can feel sympathy or root for a character even though he is a villain. It's like you feel bad for the guy throughout the entire movie, even when it's clear he's falling into madness -- that makes a villain so much more interesting. I agree that it didn't do anything for the Joker classic character, but I enjoyed it from a separate lens. To me, although they chose to call it Joker, it isn't really about that specific character; it's about a random dude who got dealt an awful hand and what happens to people who don't necessarily deserve or seek their current predicament/fate.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, that's fair. What I really liked about it was how much sympathy I felt for the character, especially in the beginning. The whole thing with his laugh being due to a brain injury was just fantastic in my view and Phoenix nailed that aspect of it, making the character sympathetic -- that's what impressed me the most about his performance. I love when you can feel sympathy or root for a character even though he is a villain. It's like you feel bad for the guy throughout the entire movie, even when it's clear he's falling into madness -- that makes a villain so much more interesting. I agree that it didn't do anything for the Joker classic character, but I enjoyed it from a separate lens. To me, although they chose to call it Joker, it isn't really about that specific character; it's about a random dude who got dealt an awful hand and what happens to people who don't necessarily deserve or seek their current predicament/fate.

The story and acting absolutely was deeper than a superhero flick.
It is interesting- he nailed exactly what you said...
But make him a little colder and smarter and I could see him playing a very good old school joker.

I just kept picturing batman kicking the ever loving shit out of him and it would just make me think bats was a dick.

On a completely different note- I would l9ve to see Mark Hamill play the joker in live action.
He is by a long shot the best voice of the joker, and I bet he could pull it off quite well.

Granada

Liked Posts:
The story and acting absolutely was deeper than a superhero flick.
It is interesting- he nailed exactly what you said...
But make him a little colder and smarter and I could see him playing a very good old school joker.

I just kept picturing batman kicking the ever loving shit out of him and it would just make me think bats was a dick.

On a completely different note- I would l9ve to see Mark Hamill play the joker in live action.
He is by a long shot the best voice of the joker, and I bet he could pull it off quite well.
Completely agree with everything, especially Hamill -- his voice is perfect for that character. If he was just a bit younger he'd be perfect for live action, but even still, I'd love to see him even now in live-action. Plus Hamill just seems cool in general, always get a kick out of his tweets.

Watched a Netflix movie called Windfall last night. It was one of those movies were the cast consisted of 3 characters: Jason Segal, the actor who plays the red-headed weirdo in Breaking Bad, and Lily Collins. The intro was very Hitchcock-like. I'd call it a "decent little movie." Basically, it's about a guy (Segal) who breaks into a tech-mogul's (red-headed weirdo's) mansion and gets caught by said tech mogul and his wife (Collins).

The thing about movies nowadays, especially these streaming movies, is that they have zero re-watch-ability factor, which is important to me. Same applies to Windfall -- I mean, it's decent, but I have zero urge to ever watch it again. It's nicely shot and the acting is solid -- with an interesting enough premise (albeit slow for some people) -- but still, it's almost like it was made to be watched once, which is how a lot of these streaming movies are. It's a decent option if you're desperate for something to watch and you don't want to waste a ton of time (hour and a half), which seems like the new standard when it comes to movies nowadays, which is sad.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Completely agree with everything, especially Hamill -- his voice is perfect for that character. If he was just a bit younger he'd be perfect for live action, but even still, I'd love to see him even now in live-action. Plus Hamill just seems cool in general, always get a kick out of his tweets.

Watched a Netflix movie called Windfall last night. It was one of those movies were the cast consisted of 3 characters: Jason Segal, the actor who plays the red-headed weirdo in Breaking Bad, and Lily Collins. The intro was very Hitchcock-like. I'd call it a "decent little movie." Basically, it's about a guy (Segal) who breaks into a tech-mogul's (red-headed weirdo's) mansion and gets caught by said tech mogul and his wife (Collins).

The thing about movies nowadays, especially these streaming movies, is that they have zero re-watch-ability factor, which is important to me. Same applies to Windfall -- I mean, it's decent, but I have zero urge to ever watch it again. It's nicely shot and the acting is solid -- with an interesting enough premise (albeit slow for some people) -- but still, it's almost like it was made to be watched once, which is how a lot of these streaming movies are. It's a decent option if you're desperate for something to watch and you don't want to waste a ton of time (hour and a half), which seems like the new standard when it comes to movies nowadays, which is sad.
The streaming movie issue is something I was pretty sure was going to happen... I could go back and dig up the streaming thread but I am too lazy.
It is a race for content pure and simple.
There are some pretty entertaining movies that make it on there, but they are pretty surface level with nothing more.

It takes a big budget, time, and a theatrical release to make something with depth that you can watch several times and pick up something new each time.

Some will say the shallow movies being churned out is a result of the diminished attention span of americans, but I am not buying that. It is the race to release that is making things so shallow. Big money going to stars and visual effects, much less time and effort allocated to detail and tone.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Didn't know where else to post this, but I Guess Joker 2 with Joaquin Phoenix is happening. I really enjoyed the first one, but not sure about a sequel. I think it works much better as a standalone movie, but you know, film companies just have to milk everything and it will no doubt haul a massive box-office profit.
Well, shit.joker-sequel-musical-memes12.jpgjoker-sequel-musical-memes7.jpgjoker-sequel-musical-memes11.jpg

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What the hell? The report I read said nothing about it being a musical. This idea is getting worse by the minute, lol

To be fair, a musical is the most torturous thing I could sit through, so bravo to them for making the movie a supervillain style assault on the public.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The streaming movie issue is something I was pretty sure was going to happen... I could go back and dig up the streaming thread but I am too lazy.
It is a race for content pure and simple.
There are some pretty entertaining movies that make it on there, but they are pretty surface level with nothing more.
It takes a big budget, time, and a theatrical release to make something with depth that you can watch several times and pick up something new each time.
Some will say the shallow movies being churned out is a result of the diminished attention span of americans, but I am not buying that. It is the race to release that is making things so shallow. Big money going to stars and visual effects, much less time and effort allocated to detail and tone.
a good movie doesn't need a studio tentpole budget or monster distribution to be good, unless you like owe money to Michael Bay. I think what you sound annoyed with is the amount of quantity of non-studio-produced shows coming out, most of which is shit, but so was the case before streaming became a thing. At least now you can click away without paying beyond your subscription. I wouldn't go back to a movie theater given the habits of my fellow Americans unless they made another sequel to Tron. I still hail the golden age of TV from 1999-2008 or so as having "liberated" us from having to pay shit-tons of money to sit next to people snoring, farting, and transmitting disease next to us

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
a good movie doesn't need a studio tentpole budget or monster distribution to be good, unless you like owe money to Michael Bay. I think what you sound annoyed with is the amount of quantity of non-studio-produced shows coming out, most of which is shit, but so was the case before streaming became a thing. At least now you can click away without paying beyond your subscription. I wouldn't go back to a movie theater given the habits of my fellow Americans unless they made another sequel to Tron. I still hail the golden age of TV from 1999-2008 or so as having "liberated" us from having to pay shit-tons of money to sit next to people snoring, farting, and transmitting disease next to us
Love Tron.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

@BEARZOMBIE

Have u seen the new Jurassic Park movie? If not, are u planning too? I was wondering if it's worth it

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

@BEARZOMBIE

Have u seen the new Jurassic Park movie? If not, are u planning too? I was wondering if it's worth it

His reviews are usually spot on. I don’t see those type of movies in the theaters as much anymore. My nephews are at the age they rather hang with their friends lol

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

His reviews are usually spot on. I don’t see those type of movies in the theaters as much anymore. My nephews are at the age they rather hang with their friends lol

I'll check out that yt video. Jurassic Park use to be interesting then it turned goofy.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

The affordability and quality of a good TV setup is the greatest thing to ever happen to the movie experience IMO... I hate theaters myself, and did before covid.

My gripe about streaming platforms of large production companies is that the big budget greenlit shit is just formulaic and substance free remakes, sequels, or just vehicles for the hot stars to play themselves over and over.
The small budget stuff is shotgunned in bulk and everyone is hoping to hit on a napoleon dynamite or clerks.
(Along with tens of millions of terrible stand-up comedy shows).

I suppose I shouldn't just blame dilution by streaming- money and the rules that come with it have been influencing movies for quite some time.
Bad guys can't use iPhones if you want them in your movie.
Military can never have bad actors if you want cut rate military tanks, planes and ships.
If your movie is scheduled for release in china... which happens to fund a huge portion of blockbuster movies and holds a huge audience... you can't do anthing with religion, supernatural for the most part, or have nefarious government activity.

The list goes on and on from vehicles to electronics to locations on what is and isn't allowed.

The independent production companies are getting hammered on both sides by sell outs to the easy funding and the low budget volume of streaming services, and the independent ones with their own funding and lack of meddling are where the best stuff can be made.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Plan is to watch the new Beavis and ButtHead tonight.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The Shawshank Redemption

Very Good…

I’m probably the last person to ever see it.