Re-drafting: A Bears tradition GM Ryan Pace must end

Nick80

Phil Emery, trail blazer on the precipice of a new dawn. What a ledge.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We get a scheme specific DT that we didn't have or draft 4 repeats 4 and after, BFD. 4s on are not likely starters and you tend to repeat those until you hit. Better to allow yourself to do so when the grade if there than to be convinced that your previous fail was a win and be married to your picks.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
A bit weak, but not exactly surprising. I think most know that Emery was pretty horrible at drafting. He had Long and Fuller in his lap and that's about it. Angelo would make curious decisions at the top, but at least you could count on him to find players after the second round. Emery almost made you fond of Jerry.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
well, considering this draft was conducted by a new gm...

theres also the fact that last time i checked a team needs more than one player at each position moon listed. even if vareen ends up being a stating safety, the rest of the safeties on the roster are older stop gaps at best, the NT position being addressed for the new 3-4 has nothing to do with a 4-3 dt being taken last year, and o-line depth in the late rounds is simply solid drafting. which brings me around to the most important point, you go BPA regardless, it would be terrible fucking drafting for a gm to go "you know what, that guys the bpa by far, but we already drafted one last year, so nevermind."

get back to your bottle moon.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I do think Vereen is a long time player in the NFL. They should identify his position.

I'm not buying bpa, because that's very subjective - sounds nice, but doesn't mean much. It's a good thing for every GM to say. Good draft.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
My Bears re-draft:

1st Round: Kevin White – Wide Receiver – West Virginia

2nd Round: Eddie Goldman – Nose Tackle – Florida State

3rd Round: Eli Harold – Outside Linebacker – Virginia

4th Round: Hroniss Grasu – Center – Oregon

5th Round: Jeremy Langford – Running Back – Michigan State

5th Round (Traded up): Adrian Amos – Safety – Penn State

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
UDFAs I Would Have Targeted:

UDFA: Brandon Bridge – QB – South Alabama

UDFA: Jake Kumerow – WR – Wisconsin–Whitewater

UDFA: Wes Saxton – TE – South Alabama

UDFA: Rob Crisp – OT – NC State

UDFA: Taiwan Jones – ILB – Michigan State

UDFA: Jacoby Glenn – CB – Central Florida

UDFA: Anthony Harris – SS – Virginia

TheDane

Liked Posts:
My Bears re-draft:

1st Round: Kevin White – Wide Receiver – West Virginia

2nd Round: Eddie Goldman – Nose Tackle – Florida State

3rd Round: Eli Harold – Outside Linebacker – Virginia

4th Round: Hroniss Grasu – Center – Oregon

5th Round: Jeremy Langford – Running Back – Michigan State

5th Round (Traded up): Adrian Amos – Safety – Penn State

This draft would be mind-boggingly good, but I highly doubt that Grasu would fall a round more.

I too had Harold as my BPA at #71, but I'm still really happy with Grasu. It's great finally to have a GM that picks players that you actually like more often than not

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do think Vereen is a long time player in the NFL. They should identify his position.

I'm not buying bpa, because that's very subjective - sounds nice, but doesn't mean much. It's a good thing for every GM to say. Good draft.

His position is excellent third string safety and special teamer for now. He is young enough to play FS and strong enough to play SS. I prefer a Rolle/Mundy tandem this year under Fangio, with excellent development choices in Vareen and Amos behind them. Safeties will get hurt, probably all 4 play some and the young guys won't get used up before they are truly ready.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A bit weak, but not exactly surprising. I think most know that Emery was pretty horrible at drafting. He had Long and Fuller in his lap and that's about it. Angelo would make curious decisions at the top, but at least you could count on him to find players after the second round. Emery almost made you fond of Jerry.

You can't possibly be serious.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:

wtf?

every team puts together a board consisting of what , yes, in their opinion, is the best player to the worse player and believe it or not some teams, usually the better ran ones, draft the player at the top when their pick is up. crazy, i know.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
97b50dd2ad6b19f59eab7443041812b6.gif

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The draft mirrored last years because those were need positions and very few of last years picks proved much at all.

On top of it picks from 2013 seemed to regress or stay bad, Mills, Bostic, Greene, Wilson.

It would have been awesome if Wilson had studded out and the Bears could have gone defense in the 1st, but he didn't.

It would have been awesome if Ferguson had taken a starting job and run with it at NT, but he didn't.

The list goes on.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I always laugh at this logic.

Hmmm, let's see, we need a player at Position X, but since we drafted that position unsuccessfully last year, I will ignore the fact that I need one, and draft a player at a position where i do NOT need one.

And I really fail to see how Kevin White mirrors anything from last year's draft. Or who in this year's draft mirrors Kyle Fuller.

Oh, we drafted a D lineman? Yeah, we should never draft a D lineman in back to back years.

Reactions: WCL

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Re-drafting: A Bears tradition GM Ryan Pace must end

CSNMoonMullin

Organizations can get themselves into difficulty when they feel forced to re-draft the same positions repeatedly because of injuries or misses on picks. The Bears under new general manager Ryan Pace hope they are not falling into another of those holes, but the incoming staff felt the need for a virtual do-over from the final draft of the Phil Emery administration.

Four of the Bears’ six draft choices were at the same positions addressed in the 2014 draft. Pace and the Bears stayed on point with their draft board but four of six repeat selections cannot be excused to coincidence or grades.

Pace wasn’t aware of the organizational do-over he was transacting. “It was really best player available all the way through,” he reiterated. “That’s how it fell. We knew we had a lot of needs.”

Therein lies the problem.

This is not a good thing. Position players have cycles if they are NFL caliber. If they don’t, the team has to draft or go into free agency for their replacement too soon in the overall cycle. And re-drafting too frequently involves reaching on a pick because it is being made specifically to fill a need.

In his first draft as Bears general manager, Ryan Pace nearly did a re-draft of the 2014 class left by Emery:
2014 (round) 2015 (round)
DT Ego Ferguson (2) DT Eddie Goldman (2)
RB Ka'Deem Carey (4) RB Jeremy Langford (4)
S Brock Vereen (4) S Adrian Amos (5)
OT Charles Leno (7) OT Tayo Fabuluje (6)

Emery selected Ferguson and Will Sutton in rounds 2 and 3 last year. Because of either scheme change or performance – Ferguson fits in the 2015 plan, Sutton TBD – Pace and the Bears went into free agency to add defensive linemen Jarvis Jenkins and Ray McDonald in advance of this weekend’s draft.

Despite drafting Shea McClellin at No. 1 in 2012 and Jonathan Bostic at No. 2 and Khaseem Green at No. 4, the Bears needed to go into free agency for Sam Acho, Mason Foster and Pernell McPhee. Even allowing for the switch to a 3-4, this is a significant number of replacements for Bears players drafted in the first four rounds.

[NBC SHOP: Gear up, Bears fans!]

But Pace is necessarily less interested than mistakes of 2014 than with improving the hit quotient for 2015.

“What I’m excited about and what we talk about is there’s a lot of opportunities still going forward,” Pace said.

Dubious do-over history

The Bears were forced to reach for offensive tackles when Jimbo Covert’s career was cut short because of back problems. The real trouble came when they reached in the 1991 first round for Stan Thomas. When Thomas proved to be a bust, the Bears were forced to use a second-round pick on Troy Auzenne 1992. When Auzenne failed to secure left tackle, the Bears used another No. 2 pick in 1994 for tackle Marcus Spears – another bust.

At wide receiver, the Bears used a No. 2 pick in 1987 for wide receiver Ron Morris. The Bears used a No. 1 the next year for Wendell Davis, which should have set them up nicely in the pre-free agency era, but both Davis and Morris were out of football with knee injuries by 1993, when the Bears used the No. 7 pick of the draft for wideout Curtis Conway.

[MORE: Kevin White excited for transition to Chicago, Bears]

The Bears selected safeties in 11 of the 13 drafts from 2002-2014, using picks as high as the second and third rounds. Despite selecting Brock Vereen last year and signing Ryan Mundy last offseason, the Bears made safety a priority in 2015 free agency, signing Antrel Rolle to start, and in the draft, using a fifth-round pick on Adrian Amos from Penn State.

Ideally, Amos helps stop that repeating pattern.

“Some safeties you don’t get to see enough isolated in ‘man’ coverage a lot,” Pace said. “But you do with him. We’re going to start him out at safety and have him there. In different packages he can have different roles but he’s a safety first for us.”

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That piece of shit is the best Moon can come up with?

Agree. Piece of shit.

All that article says is that teams need their draft picks to succeed or they will have problems. Thats it. Moon dresses it up with some bullshit attempt at meta analysis. But all its really saying is its important that drafted players become good contributors. Whoopty fucking doo

squarehead_400x400.jpg