Re-watch 2006 Comeback win over Arizona

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Fans can watch Bears' 2006 comeback victory

I have never seen the whole game, I just retired from the Army and was staying with my Brother-in-law. He had no internet or Cable TV, so I listened to it on the radio....

I'm going to watch this and reminisce....

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
whole game minus the commercials are on youtube but thanks anyways for the link to that one of a kind game

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Urlacher was a Monster

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I actually think it was better on the radio ?

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good heavens that defensive line in the first quarter is getting blown off the ball. Foreshadowing the Super Bowl. Only difference this is with Tommie Harris. Though if Grossman completes that first pass it's a much different ballgame.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ugh, at the 15:17 mark (5:47 left in the first quarter) of the video, deep pass attempt to Rashied Davis, who gave up on the route (not that he had a chance to beat him anyway, but that ball should have been intercepted).

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I know a few CCS posters have been saying we need to have a speedster that can take the top off a defense and watching Bernard Berrian proves that with the right QB it can work.

I went back to look up Bernard's name to make sure I was spelling it correctly, and on his Wikipedia it shows that his 40 time at the combine was 4.58!!

I guess it just proves there is a big difference between straight line speed and game speed.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
I know a few CCS posters have been saying we need to have a speedster that can take the top off a defense and watching Bernard Berrian proves that with the right QB it can work.

I went back to look up Bernard's name to make sure I was spelling it correctly, and on his Wikipedia it shows that his 40 time at the combine was 4.58!!

I guess it just proves there is a big difference between straight line speed and game speed.

Am sure it's different running with all that extra equipment on vs shorts.

There was 2 jocks at my high school when I was still residing in Chicago

The 2 fastest guys on the team had a race in shorts vs equipment.

Player A beat Player B in the 40 in shorts
Player B beat Player A in the 40 with equipment

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I'm a lover a speed (sometimes too much; I definitely err on the side of falling in love with speed and end up wanting players that have ended up being busts at times- see John Ross, though I didn't become a John Ross fan because of his 40 time, I was a fan of his after watching the college match-up of him vs Adoree Jackson. Some of that is the difference between quickness and natural speed. Berrian was a sprinter who came from a family of naturally fast guys (iirc he was the slowest of his three brothers). Quickness is acceleration, velocity is speed. Not everyone who has top-end speed has a great start, and even with a great start the combine 40 is weird, where timing starts as soon as you move and that weird start position with your arm back. Generally speaking, the combine 40 is measuring acceleration, not top-end speed (though some people can overcome bad starts with blazing top-end speed).

Here's what I look for when they say a football player is fast.

1. If it's a WR, whether it's a RAC run or a bomb, I look at the distance between himself and the other players. Basically, in that footrace with the defense (or offense if we're talking defensive player), is he gaining ground, losing ground, or neutral? If it's a defensive back, has he been in a trailing position to have to run down a receiver that maybe got past a teammate? Does he catch or gain ground on that receiver?
  2. You don't always get footage on this one, but I look to see if they can outrun the angle. This means being so fast that even when someone has the angle on you, you beat them anyway. This is rare speed; and the best example of this would be to go back and watch Chris Johnson's East Carolina highlights (
    )
  3. Check out their kickoff (not punt) return average. You see guys with a 21-22 yards per return, that's average. Not great, not terrible, just typical. When they start getting above 24 yards or so, and that's when you pay a little more attention. At the times when it's 26 yards or above, that's when it gets real. I go back to check other game footage to see if the speed shows in other places on the field- Renaldo Nehemiah being the perfect example of a guy who was blazing fast (probably one of the fastest NFL players ever) but a "track guy". For reference Gale Sayers holds the NFL record (to this day) for kickoff return average. But in general, looking at a guy's k/o return average will clue you in that he's got some speed. Here's a link to the kickoff return yards from last year: NCAA College Football FBS current individual Stats | NCAA.com
  4. Check out their 100m times. 10.1s in the 100m is Tyreek Hill speed. But a guy doesn't have to even be that fast to be dangerous. Anything 10.6 or below is going to be dangerous, if they can maintain that play that at that speed on the field.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I'm a lover a speed (sometimes too much; I definitely err on the side of falling in love with speed and end up wanting players that have ended up being busts at times- see John Ross, though I didn't become a John Ross fan because of his 40 time, I was a fan of his after watching the college match-up of him vs Adoree Jackson. Some of that is the difference between quickness and natural speed. Berrian was a sprinter who came from a family of naturally fast guys (iirc he was the slowest of his three brothers). Quickness is acceleration, velocity is speed. Not everyone who has top-end speed has a great start, and even with a great start the combine 40 is weird, where timing starts as soon as you move and that weird start position with your arm back. Generally speaking, the combine 40 is measuring acceleration, not top-end speed (though some people can overcome bad starts with blazing top-end speed).

Here's what I look for when they say a football player is fast.

1. If it's a WR, whether it's a RAC run or a bomb, I look at the distance between himself and the other players. Basically, in that footrace with the defense (or offense if we're talking defensive player), is he gaining ground, losing ground, or neutral? If it's a defensive back, has he been in a trailing position to have to run down a receiver that maybe got past a teammate? Does he catch or gain ground on that receiver?
  2. You don't always get footage on this one, but I look to see if they can outrun the angle. This means being so fast that even when someone has the angle on you, you beat them anyway. This is rare speed; and the best example of this would be to go back and watch Chris Johnson's East Carolina highlights (
    )
  3. Check out their kickoff (not punt) return average. You see guys with a 21-22 yards per return, that's average. Not great, not terrible, just typical. When they start getting above 24 yards or so, and that's when you pay a little more attention. At the times when it's 26 yards or above, that's when it gets real. I go back to check other game footage to see if the speed shows in other places on the field- Renaldo Nehemiah being the perfect example of a guy who was blazing fast (probably one of the fastest NFL players ever) but a "track guy". For reference Gale Sayers holds the NFL record (to this day) for kickoff return average. But in general, looking at a guy's k/o return average will clue you in that he's got some speed. Here's a link to the kickoff return yards from last year: NCAA College Football FBS current individual Stats | NCAA.com
  4. Check out their 100m times. 10.1s in the 100m is Tyreek Hill speed. But a guy doesn't have to even be that fast to be dangerous. Anything 10.6 or below is going to be dangerous, if they can maintain that play that at that speed on the field.
Without a doubt BB was fast, but in the NFL it does take more than speed to get open.

Is there a guy in the draft that you like based upon your 100M/Return average/tape formula in this deep WR draft?

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Without a doubt BB was fast, but in the NFL it does take more than speed to get open.

Is there a guy in the draft that you like based upon your 100M/Return average/tape formula in this deep WR draft?

Oh gosh this WR group is so loaded it's frightening. Let me also fess up that I am wrong a lot more than I am right (see previous post about John Ross). Heck if I could pick 'em 100 (or even 75 percent) I'd be a GM making a couple million a year ?. From a previous thread, I think Devin Duvernay has the combination of speed and strength to be dangerous. He's a former 10.27 100m guy who's bulked up to NFL size, and hasn't lost *that* much off his 100m time (I'm going to estimate him to be a 10.4 100m person based on sight). I am open for debate/discussion though. Heck it's the offseason, a couple of weeks before the draft. We've got months to discuss this stuff.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Oh gosh this WR group is so loaded it's frightening. Let me also fess up that I am wrong a lot more than I am right (see previous post about John Ross). Heck if I could pick 'em 100 (or even 75 percent) I'd be a GM making a couple million a year ?. From a previous thread, I think Devin Duvernay has the combination of speed and strength to be dangerous. He's a former 10.27 100m guy who's bulked up to NFL size, and hasn't lost *that* much off his 100m time (I'm going to estimate him to be a 10.4 100m person based on sight). I am open for debate/discussion though. Heck it's the offseason, a couple of weeks before the draft. We've got months to discuss this stuff.

I love DD, just dunno how well he fits this scheme.

Nagy has shown to heavily favor WR's who can run excellent routes. DD's biggest weakness is route running.

My guess is look for the guy who runs awesome routes and is still a speed demon. That's probably the guy the bears are in love with.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I still love that dude if we can get him in the 5th round. Would be a steal.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Urlacher was all over the field. Amazing performance.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
After he made the tackle on an outside throw the comments for the announcers were that there must be two Urlachers on the field....

Performances like that are why he is a First Ballot HOFer.

msadows

Liked Posts:

I miss lack in his prime. Dude literally changed how MLB was played.

Hopefully roquan can get his head on straight and become the next great. I'm willing to bet he will do it.