Realistic 2010 prediction

ButchCrassidy

Liked Posts:
South Side of Chicago (formerly of 87th, currently
I'm not an uber-gullible Cubs fan that thinks every year is going to be the Cubs year. The 2010 team has talent, but I'm not sure if they have the talent to win it all. I'm STILL not sold on Z as an ace, I doubt Dempster will win more than 15 games unless he gets good run support, and it's kind of sad that Cubs fans are waiting feverishly for Lilly, the #3, to come back to provide a little more stability to the starting rotation. The pen was an issue before the season. Guzman's career might be over, Grabow is Grabow, Smardzjia is...yeah, there are no-name guys, and Marmol can't pitch like this the entire season. Byrd will be a good player, but that's it. Don't expect .300-30-100 from him. Sori and Fuk? PASS. ARam will come around, hopefully. We just might have the softest-hitting middle infield in baseball and I love DLee, but I'd love him more if he would have big seasons during big seasons for the Cubs, and not when they're down (see his 2005 and 2009 numbers). This team has very little speed, lacks plate discipline, is not fundamentally sound, and doesn't really have the offense or pitching to make up for poor defense, which has been a problem during their start. Can this team win the NL Central? Of course. Are they a better team than the Red Sox, Yankees, Mariners, Phillies, Braves, Dodgers, Twins, and Giants? Sorry, but no Kool-Aid for me this year. Well...what do YOU think?

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why is it sad that we're waiting for Ted Lilly to come back? He was arguably our best pitcher last season, and he'll only make our pitching better. The bullpen has it's weaknesses, including GraBlow and Suckmardzija, but the rookies aren't bad. Berg hasn't been great, but he hasn't been a liability out there. Russell hasn't been giving a ton of chances, but he's been fine when he's been out there.

As for the defense, it hasn't been great, but it's not as bad as your making it out to be. Aramis is a solid 3rd baseman, D-Lee is one of the best defensive 1st baseman in baseball, Mike Fontenot is good defensively, and Theriot may not have great range, but he can make some difficult plays. Yes, Soriano sucks in LF, but Fukudome is a fine defensive RF, and Byrd is an average CF. He won't hurt you, but he won't make many spectacular plays either. Nady is still gaining arm strength and Colvin has been alright as a 4th/5th outfielder and a defensive replacement.

This team can contend if the pitching (Especially the bullpen) and the defense are above average. The offense needs to be consistent, which certainly is possible. I see them winning 80-88 games this season.

CBPtOSU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This team will win 85 games. Whether or not that's enough for the playoffs is to be seen

cubsjunkie

mistress
Liked Posts:
Eh, it's a transition year. I don't think "this is the year" or "next year is here" or whatever...

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
How does Fukudome go from being a good defensive RFer, to a below average defensive CF, to a below average defensive RF?

ButchCrassidy

Liked Posts:
Waiting for Lilly's return is kind of sad because Cubs fans know that they can't fully rely on Z and Dempster. Let's face it, our 1-2 just isn't that great, regardless of Z's potential/past, or Demp's 2008.
The defense hasn't been very good. It's not so much the errors, it's the misplayed balls and double play opportunities that have been missed. Outfielders taking bad angles on balls has been a problem a few times already.
I don't buy the Colvin hype...yet. He's been a defensive replacement for Sori only because Nady's just coming off Tommy John, and there aren't any other outfielders on the bench.
I'm not bashing the rookies in the pen, but we're not sure what they can do.
Other than that, the Cubs should be fine...I hope.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
i think dempster and z have potential to be nasty...it just depends..we need a stronger 3rd guy imo

i think we will be ok..we are getting a slow start here but i think we will pick it up

i wish we had lily right now tho

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
Well Zambrano needs to pull his head out of his arse and the bullpen needs to shape up and the bats need to get going. At this rate we will be lucky to see another winning season. Probably around 80 or so games unless they can get real hot real quick.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
with how bad this bullpen is and how this offense cant score without the HR we will be 500 team and thats just because or SP is really good.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
with how bad this bullpen is and how this offense cant score without the HR we will be 500 team and thats just because or SP is really good.
Finally someone who agrees w/ me that the Cubs have good starting pitching. Our rotation is top 5 in the NL IMO.

ButchCrassidy

Liked Posts:
Finally someone who agrees w/ me that the Cubs have good starting pitching. Our rotation is top 5 in the NL IMO.

Yeah, the starting pitching is good, as a whole. But in a short series against the Cards, Phillies, or Giants (maybe add the Rockies, Marlins, and Dodgers into that mix)...it doesn't look as good.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone doubts that the rotation is solid. Everyone with the exception of Big Z has pitched awesome. Maybe Pinella should kick around the idea of putting Z in the bullpen when Lilly comes back.