Reason for Optimism

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought the biggest reason for optimism is that the offensive line played really well last night. This helped Montgomery look great as well. Other than that, I saw no reason for optimism.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
It shouldn't be all too surprising that we struggled to stop the run like we did. This is a gap integrity defense with a bunch of new guys, some of which aren't all that great. After that game with the Packers setting the template even with an undermanned Oline, this could be a theme on the year.

Agreed though on the optimism. This team won't get beat cause they're lazy or lack heart. They'll get beat primarily because they're undertalented. Hopefully the coaching issues are just growing pains for a HC and an OC both new to the positions.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Pretty weird how assembling a bad roster yields bad results.
Even weirder how a total rebuild can look pretty ragged in its initial stages. Its almost like Poles & Eberflus are taking a long term perspective here, and not going all in with whatever gives them the best chance to win right now. You’ve hit the nail on the head; it’s just weird…

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I thought the biggest reason for optimism is that the offensive line played really well last night. This helped Montgomery look great as well. Other than that, I saw no reason for optimism.
I thought jones looked like shit most of the game

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You guys know damn well that if the Bears score a TD there, Rodgers goes down the field with ease and goes back up 14.

Montgomery was good on the night, but the only reason he beasted during that drive was because the Packers were more than happy to let the Bears continue to run clock.

It was not that close. The Bears were in the palm of the Packers' hands from the 2nd quarter onward.

I'm not so sure. They figured something out in the 2nd Half and wouldn't have to sell out to stop the run like they did after the 4th down stop.

This game was a valuable learning experience, especially for the coaches. Hoping they learn from it. They had a good game plan to start off, GB adjusted & it took the coaches 25+ minutes to re-adjust. Just sucks that Fields showed very little and they gave him very little to show.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Look for large parts of the game the D and O was bad but here is the silver lining. We were one stupid shotgun snap on 4th down and inches from being down just one score.

This is a young team and a young coaching staff. Both made a lot of mistakes tonight but again we were one shotgun snap on 4th down and inches from being down one score. This team battles. They arent very good but they somehow find a way to hang in there.

So how do we fix this.

1. Fields needs to be allowed to throw more. One way or another we have to see what he has.

Agreed 100%
2. 40-50% of our plays involving Fields has to be him on the move or play action. The threat he poses with his legs had to be present on every play.

Agreed
3. Fields has to take what the D gives him. He has gone back to hunting for big plays and not getting rid of the ball quicker.
He missed a few plays that were there for him. Seemed to me this mostly happens when he's in the pocket.
4. Fields has to stop trying to be a classic pocket passer. If you reach the end of your drop and you dont see anyone them take off. These WRs are not good enough to sit in the pocket and wait on them and cant as this OL to hold blocks for 4 or 5 seconds.

I believe he will over time. There is a delicate balance of trying not to take off too early while hanging in there versus just taking off. LIke you said, drop back through your initial reads and if it's not there get out of town.
5. Mooney and Kmet have to get involved. Find ways the get them the ball period even if it is just short stuff.

This is not a talented team but I think this staff has instilled a certain resilence in the team already. They now need to get out of their own way and stop overthinking things. Let these guys play and let's what we have.
Mooney is only a #1 WR by default, he is not a real #1 and it shows. HIgh on our list of needs this offseason is to get a true #1. IMO He just can't get open versus the other team's top CB. Even on that bad overthrow bomb to him, he was not close to being open. I don't where preseason Kmet went.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Mooney is only a #1 WR by default, he is not a real #1 and it shows. HIgh on our list of needs this offseason is to get a true #1. IMO He just can't get open versus the other team's top CB. Even on that bad overthrow bomb to him, he was not close to being open. I don't where preseason Kmet went.

Mooney is a #2. Kmet should be a 3rd option. Kmet has been blocking a lot and hasn't run a lot of routes. (His drop didn't help)

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You don’t really don’t know how many pass plays were called. We know that they had 41 offensive plays. 19 of 41 were handoffs to the RBs. Fields ran on 8 plays, I can only think of 2 of those are obvious designed QB run plays. The other 6 plays plus the 3 sacks that were obviously passing plays and the 11 pass attempts would be 20 possible passing called plays and 21 rushing called plays.

Yes I already did the math. That is still not enough. We need as much data on Fields as possible. He needs about 25-30 passes a game period IMO. I don't care about winning games. We know at this point that some of his called pass plays will end up being scrambles so you adjust accordingly.

Obviously part of that is too many 3 and outs but part of the 3 and outs is too many plays called that are not really playing to Fields strength. As I joked, Getsy remembered Fields is mobile at the half. This is the 2nd game in a row where we waited until after the half to really get Fields on the move. We don't have the WRs and or the QB quite frankly to run so many static pocket passing plays and that is part of the reason we are stalling so much.

Again, 40 to 50 percent of the called pass plays need to be play action and getting Fields mobile and they need to be mixed throughout the game from start to finish not just when things stall. There is no rhythm to this offense right now. Further a huge focus coming into this week should have been getting Mooney and Kmet involved. Period. You can't go 2 games in a row where they have just 2 catches combined. There are plenty of ways to scheme to get those guys the ball. Where are the TE screens that we saw Kmet run in the preseason. Where are the slants to Mooney that the Pack used effectively.

Right now it feels like Getsy is calling plays in the first half that have no connection to our players strengths then when we struggle he remembers it at half time but at that point the O is out of sync. None of that means Fields is a good QB because he has his own problems. The point is let him succeed or fail doing the things he is actually good at rather than the things he isn't. If he succeeds then you can incorporate some of the other things to supplement. Right now Getsy has him running the playbook as if he is Aaron Rodgers ie an experienced QB who is really good at the whole playbook.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mooney is a #2. Kmet should be a 3rd option. Kmet has been blocking a lot and hasn't run a lot of routes. (His drop didn't help)

The thing is, it doesn't matter if Mooney is a 1 or 2. He and Kmet are the two best weapons you have so you need to get them the ball. If that means playing more 21 or 12 personnel to free up Kmet as a receiver then so be it. There is very little reason to run a lot of 11 personnel given our WRs.

They ran the one screen for Mooney but otherwise made no real attempt to get the ball in his hands. This is a guy that had a 70 yard TD off a screen against the Niners. I get that they are trying to win but sorry you aren't winning shit this year. We have big decisions on not just Fields but Mooney and Kmet are eligible for extensions next year. The focus should be on evaluating them at all costs whether that be throwing 30 times a game or ensure that Mooney and Kmet get 4 or 5 sure catches a game. A lot of this game is confidence and rhythm and we really aren't doing anything to get any of those three in a rhytm.

Last edited:

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
The packers are really good at confusing young QBs. Fields looked lost at times.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I'm not so sure. They figured something out in the 2nd Half and wouldn't have to sell out to stop the run like they did after the 4th down stop.

This game was a valuable learning experience, especially for the coaches. Hoping they learn from it. They had a good game plan to start off, GB adjusted & it took the coaches 25+ minutes to re-adjust. Just sucks that Fields showed very little and they gave him very little to show.
Idk that GB adjusted to stop them. Bears had the scoring drive, then if I remember they had a penalty to put them in a hole the next drive. Then the next drive kmet dropped a 1st down pass. This team is exactly the type of team that can't make mistakes like that. Also, kmet is awful. He isn't a threat in the passing game and can't block @clayharbor.

Fields is frustrating because he processes everything too slow. He has all the skills to be phenomenal and can make any throw but if he can't learn to process pre and post snap quickly it will be meaningless.

The defense is atrocious. Kyler Gordon is making other teams not target Vildor.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The thing is, it doesn't matter if Mooney is a 1 or 2. He and Kmet are the two best weapons you have so you need to get them the ball. If that means playing more 21 or 12 personnel to free up Kmet as a receiver then so be it. There is very little reason to run a lot of 11 personnel given our WRs.

They ran the one screen for Mooney but otherwise made no real attempt to get the ball in his hands. This is a guy that had a 70 yard TD off a screen against the Niners. I get that they are trying to win but sorry you aren't winning shit this year. We have big decisions on not just Fields but Mooney and Kmet are eligible for extensions next year. The focus should be on evaluating them at all costs whether that be throwing 30 times a game or ensure that Mooney and Kmet get 4 or 5 sure catches a game. A lot of this game is confidence and rhythm and we really aren't doing anything to get any of those three in a rhytm.
I would say Montgomery and Mooney are the best targets.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Fields is frustrating because he processes everything too slow. He has all the skills to be phenomenal and can make any throw but if he can't learn to process pre and post snap quickly it will be meaningless.

do i need to update <the list>?

Ohio State QBs in the NFL​

YEARNAMEROUNDRECORDCAREER STATISTICS
1982Art Schlichter10-61,006 yards, 3 TDs, 11 INTs
1985Mike Tomczak*FA42-3116,079 yards, 88 TDs, 106 INTs
1988Tom Tupa34-93,430 yards, 12 TDs, 25 INTs
1992Kent Graham817-217,801 yards, 39 TDs, 33 INTs
1996Bobby Hoying33-9-12,544 yards, 11 TDs, 15 INTs
1999Joe Germaine40-0136 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs
2004Craig Krenzel53-2718 yards, 3 TDs, 6 INTs
2007Troy Smith54-41,734 yards, 8 TDs, 5 INTs
2011Terrelle Pryor**33-71,994 yards, 9 TDs, 12 INTs
2016Cardale Jones40-096 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT
2019Dwayne Haskins13-102,804 yards, 12 TDs, 14 INTs

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
do i need to update <the list>?

Ohio State QBs in the NFL​

YEARNAMEROUNDRECORDCAREER STATISTICS
1982Art Schlichter10-61,006 yards, 3 TDs, 11 INTs
1985Mike Tomczak*FA42-3116,079 yards, 88 TDs, 106 INTs
1988Tom Tupa34-93,430 yards, 12 TDs, 25 INTs
1992Kent Graham817-217,801 yards, 39 TDs, 33 INTs
1996Bobby Hoying33-9-12,544 yards, 11 TDs, 15 INTs
1999Joe Germaine40-0136 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs
2004Craig Krenzel53-2718 yards, 3 TDs, 6 INTs
2007Troy Smith54-41,734 yards, 8 TDs, 5 INTs
2011Terrelle Pryor**33-71,994 yards, 9 TDs, 12 INTs
2016Cardale Jones40-096 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT
2019Dwayne Haskins13-102,804 yards, 12 TDs, 14 INTs
If fields fails it has nothing to do with what school he came from

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
The Packers came out and planned to run the ball a lot more than they did week 1. Bears knew this and were in single high safety looks most first and second down plays. The biggest issue I saw last night that gave me bad memories of the Nagy led Bears was not being able to get off the field on 3rd down. The rush offense kept picking up big yardage on first and second, but in those situations where they got them into a 3rd and long, it felt like Green Bay was going to convert it (they were 5 for 9 on 3rd down for the night). There were definite chances to make a stop but the defense couldn't get off the field... meanwhile the offense couldn't stay on the field which felt very Nagy-esque.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes I already did the math. That is still not enough. We need as much data on Fields as possible. He needs about 25-30 passes a game period IMO. I don't care about winning games. We know at this point that some of his called pass plays will end up being scrambles so you adjust accordingly.

Obviously part of that is too many 3 and outs but part of the 3 and outs is too many plays called that are not really playing to Fields strength. As I joked, Getsy remembered Fields is mobile at the half. This is the 2nd game in a row where we waited until after the half to really get Fields on the move. We don't have the WRs and or the QB quite frankly to run so many static pocket passing plays and that is part of the reason we are stalling so much.

Again, 40 to 50 percent of the called pass plays need to be play action and getting Fields mobile and they need to be mixed throughout the game from start to finish not just when things stall. There is no rhythm to this offense right now. Further a huge focus coming into this week should have been getting Mooney and Kmet involved. Period. You can't go 2 games in a row where they have just 2 catches combined. There are plenty of ways to scheme to get those guys the ball. Where are the TE screens that we saw Kmet run in the preseason. Where are the slants to Mooney that the Pack used effectively.

Right now it feels like Getsy is calling plays in the first half that have no connection to our players strengths then when we struggle he remembers it at half time but at that point the O is out of sync. None of that means Fields is a good QB because he has his own problems. The point is let him succeed or fail doing the things he is actually good at rather than the things he isn't. If he succeeds then you can incorporate some of the other things to supplement. Right now Getsy has him running the playbook as if he is Aaron Rodgers ie an experienced QB who is really good at the whole playbook.
If they're going to lose anyway, I'd also like to see them running more screens until they get them right. They're great teaching moments and need reps to get coordinated.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Packers came out and planned to run the ball a lot more than they did week 1. Bears knew this and were in single high safety looks most first and second down plays. The biggest issue I saw last night that gave me bad memories of the Nagy led Bears was not being able to get off the field on 3rd down. The rush offense kept picking up big yardage on first and second, but in those situations where they got them into a 3rd and long, it felt like Green Bay was going to convert it (they were 5 for 9 on 3rd down for the night). There were definite chances to make a stop but the defense couldn't get off the field... meanwhile the offense couldn't stay on the field which felt very Nagy-esque.
The Pack targeted Gordon all day and seemed to know where he'd line up on every play. I suspect Rodgers had plays in hand for that.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
The Defense could not get off the Field so the O could build some Rythem

Bears didn’t do enough in FA on the Dline