Reason for Optimism

Bust

Liked Posts:
I thought the biggest reason for optimism is that the offensive line played really well last night. This helped Montgomery look great as well. Other than that, I saw no reason for optimism.

only put up 10 points. 1 of 7 on 3rd downs.

bears lose to the lowly texan's next week it's over

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes I already did the math. That is still not enough. We need as much data on Fields as possible. He needs about 25-30 passes a game period IMO. I don't care about winning games. We know at this point that some of his called pass plays will end up being scrambles so you adjust accordingly.

Obviously part of that is too many 3 and outs but part of the 3 and outs is too many plays called that are not really playing to Fields strength. As I joked, Getsy remembered Fields is mobile at the half. This is the 2nd game in a row where we waited until after the half to really get Fields on the move. We don't have the WRs and or the QB quite frankly to run so many static pocket passing plays and that is part of the reason we are stalling so much.

Again, 40 to 50 percent of the called pass plays need to be play action and getting Fields mobile and they need to be mixed throughout the game from start to finish not just when things stall. There is no rhythm to this offense right now. Further a huge focus coming into this week should have been getting Mooney and Kmet involved. Period. You can't go 2 games in a row where they have just 2 catches combined. There are plenty of ways to scheme to get those guys the ball. Where are the TE screens that we saw Kmet run in the preseason. Where are the slants to Mooney that the Pack used effectively.

Right now it feels like Getsy is calling plays in the first half that have no connection to our players strengths then when we struggle he remembers it at half time but at that point the O is out of sync. None of that means Fields is a good QB because he has his own problems. The point is let him succeed or fail doing the things he is actually good at rather than the things he isn't. If he succeeds then you can incorporate some of the other things to supplement. Right now Getsy has him running the playbook as if he is Aaron Rodgers ie an experienced QB who is really good at the whole playbook.
I get what you are saying. You think Getsy need to “dumb down” the playbook until Fields starts showing the ability to start “processing what he sees” or “reading the defense”. These were the common phases that were used during Trubisky’s 2nd year before everyone stopped supporting him and just said he was an inaccurate bust who can’t read a defense.

The think the common factor is lack of supporting talent. That’s what needs fixed. These receivers are horrible. It doesn’t matter who is calling plays, when you only have a #2 and a bunch of #4 receivers. Instead of fixing this, Poles tried to improve the defense. This only makes sense if you are ready to move on from Fields.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
The packers are really good at confusing young QBs. Fields looked lost at times.

I would say Green Bay's defense has probably improved, but Fields was his own worst enemy at times.

This is the NFL - It's time for him to put the big boy pants on.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Yes said that elsewhere but still not enough in my opinion.

Agreed. Seems like they wanted to go run heavy, which they did, but when the D could not get off the field and it was 24/7, it was time to make some moves/shifts.

That interception sealed the deal on total pass plays as well. Oh well, this is what happens when your offense is dead last in cap downs and you have $60M in dead cap. You get humbled by teams more talented than you.

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins

Snap counts for last night.

While I didn't expect us to beat the Pack, I did expect us to look like what we witnessed (twice) last season had been because of the idiots in charge. Not to then witness something of similar ilk.

The oline was good enough to block for whoever was taking the hand off, so not totally buying that 'they were at fault for ...' Seems like it was a perfect storm/multitude of things.

Thank fuck we're not on in prime time until week 6. It's hard enough trying to get behind this team every season, without further showing the franchise up to be all the things the public and the media think it is.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Idk that GB adjusted to stop them. Bears had the scoring drive, then if I remember they had a penalty to put them in a hole the next drive. Then the next drive kmet dropped a 1st down pass. This team is exactly the type of team that can't make mistakes like that. Also, kmet is awful. He isn't a threat in the passing game and can't block @clayharbor.

Fields is frustrating because he processes everything too slow. He has all the skills to be phenomenal and can make any throw but if he can't learn to process pre and post snap quickly it will be meaningless.

The defense is atrocious. Kyler Gordon is making other teams not target Vildor.

That was a 5yd throw on 1st & 10 with blanket coverage. How was it a first down catch exactly? No excuses to not make the catch though.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Would prefer they lose as I want a better draft pick. What I want to see is them being developed win or lose. This was not a good game to see that because we only threw 11 times.
Not sure you want to see them lose. If they lose to the Texans, that means Fields probably had a bad game against a lesser team. That would be bad for his future.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
That was a 5yd throw on 1st & 10 with blanket coverage. How was it a first down catch exactly? No excuses to not make the catch though.
I was saying it was on first down. Creates a manageable 2nd and 4 or 5 which is where this team needs to live because they aren't capable of many chunk plays so they have to take what's given to them

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Not sure you want to see them lose. If they lose to the Texans, that means Fields probably had a bad game against a lesser team. That would be bad for his future.
There's really no reason to believe the Texans are a lesser team than the Bears other than being a homer

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Idk that GB adjusted to stop them. Bears had the scoring drive, then if I remember they had a penalty to put them in a hole the next drive. Then the next drive kmet dropped a 1st down pass. This team is exactly the type of team that can't make mistakes like that. Also, kmet is awful. He isn't a threat in the passing game and can't block @clayharbor.

Fields is frustrating because he processes everything too slow. He has all the skills to be phenomenal and can make any throw but if he can't learn to process pre and post snap quickly it will be meaningless.

The defense is atrocious. Kyler Gordon is making other teams not target Vildor.
The 3 drives after the first (TD) drive for Bears offense, all 3 & outs. Honestly think it was because they stopped running on first down so the offense got in a hole.

Drive 2: starts with a 5 yard sack on 1st down, Bears call 3 passes and end the drive punting on 4th and 12 (net -2 yards)

Drive 3: 1st down False start on a random TE who wont be on team next year. Once again, they punt on 4th & 12.

Drive 4: 1st down Kmet drop.

On all of these possessions the best down and distance Bears would see was 1st & 10 (and one of the drives didnt even have that). This season is about seeing what they have in Fields but in a game where you are averaging 9 yards per carry on the ground you should probably be run first or PA on first down.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I was saying it was on first down. Creates a manageable 2nd and 4 or 5 which is where this team needs to live because they aren't capable of many chunk plays so they have to take what's given to them
No you weren't.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I want to see them lose, the problem is as bad as i know a loss is what's best for this team and rebuilding it, when the game starts there's no way to keep myself from rooting for them. I've been trying hard every single game for years and just can't ever do it. To be picking top 5 in each round would be huge for us right now as long as Poles and his guys can make the right picks which isn't as easy as saying it. Hopefully we can trade R.Quinn as well and add more picks and any other vet some team wants.

To the bolded: especially if we need a QB.

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
I think this has more to do with who the other corner(s) are than him being some sort of shut down cb. I like JJ, but path of least resistance is through Vildor/Gordon.
Could be.

Edit: sorry I thought I had sent a more filled out reply and all I sent was 'could be'.

Yeah, to your point, it most likely explains it rather than just the fact that opposing O coordinators are staying away from JJ. When you have a rookie and a scrub playing corner/slot then it'd be crazy not to target them. Thing is, the blueprint is now set. Both those player will need help/and improve on their game.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I get what you are saying. You think Getsy need to “dumb down” the playbook until Fields starts showing the ability to start “processing what he sees” or “reading the defense”. These were the common phases that were used during Trubisky’s 2nd year before everyone stopped supporting him and just said he was an inaccurate bust who can’t read a defense.

The think the common factor is lack of supporting talent. That’s what needs fixed. These receivers are horrible. It doesn’t matter who is calling plays, when you only have a #2 and a bunch of #4 receivers. Instead of fixing this, Poles tried to improve the defense. This only makes sense if you are ready to move on from Fields.

No a good D makes sense because as bad as Fields was we still were a replay review from being in the game.

Again there was no easy fix for the O. St Brown and Pettis in less opps facing top CBs and better teams have outproduced Pickens, Thorton, Robinson, Moore, and Pierce. All those guys hace faced less Cbs for thr most part and been in on far kpre pass plays.

Chark has 52 yards which is pretty much what St Brown and Pettis has and he is in a much better offense.

So to date the only guy who I think would have clearly helped a bit was Kirk but Jags had more money and people laughed at what he got paid.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
No a good D makes sense because as bad as Fields was we still were a replay review from being in the game.

Again there was no easy fix for the O. St Brown and Pettis in less opps facing top CBs and better teams have outproduced Pickens, Thorton, Robinson, Moore, and Pierce. All those guys hace faced less Cbs for thr most part and been in on far kpre pass plays.

Chark has 52 yards which is pretty much what St Brown and Pettis has and he is in a much better offense.

So to date the only guy who I think would have clearly helped a bit was Kirk but Jags had more money and people laughed at what he got paid.
This is lacking so much context it’s actually painful.

You are ready to say none of those guys would have added anything?

The Steelers have trubisky and an awful o line. Id love to see Pickens in this o, at least giving the defense something to think about.

Sky Moore simply is the 4th option.

Alec pierce is injured and Matt Ryan looks like absolute dog shit on a shit team.

Pettis has provided 1 meaningful catch on a scramble drill, but realistically is a non factor. ESB as well mostly invisible.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
So part of your solution to this season per point number 4 is for fields to develop bad habits and stop looking downfield and just run? This is not how you develop a player.

Despite your PFF stats the o line cannot pass block. It ain’t safe back there. I haven’t seen an all 22 or any breakdowns but I’d be shocked if the WR’s are creating enough space for this o line to hold their blocks.

Nagy being gone is a huge boost, but surprise surprise the offense is still a complete disaster as there has been 0 investment on that side of the ball besides a first round QB.