Reason to be pessimistic

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
There are a few reasons to be pessimistic about our chances of beating the Packers.

- Mack is brand new to the defense, and while his talent could naturally take over, he will be a little rusty and not in "football" shape.

- Smith is a rookie and has missed all of camp and all the preseason games. while he has had some chances to learn the defense, he too may not be in football shape.

- The Offense is brand new and the starters did not play a lot in the preseason. It should be expected that the offense will not be running like a machine in the first game of the season.

- Head Coach is first time HC, and while he may have called plays in KC and in the preseason, the season opener is a Prime time game on the road and now that the games count, that is a whole different level of pressure.

- AR is still recovering, and while we might have other weapons to use, he is our best chance of having success.

So... I still think we can surprise and even beat the Packers on Sunday night, and once all those pieces start getting experience, look out the Bears are for real this year.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Covering the TE Grahm by one of our LBs will be a key matchup. AR won't have time to go deep so covering the dump guy and TE will be the keys to stopping GBs O.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes. This is a perfect counter to Kool-Aide.

BUT I like kool-aide and Life Springs Eternal. Hope is a way better perspective IMHO

Hammer

Liked Posts:
It's crazy to open a Debbie Downer thread and not mention Trubs inexperience, shaky O-Line with snap issues, bad RT, Daniels on the bench, etc.

:smug2:

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
It's crazy to open a Debbie Downer thread and not mention Trubs inexperience, shaky O-Line with snap issues, bad RT, Daniels on the bench, etc.

:smug2:

I left some meat on the bone for all the other Debbie Downers :yep:

Monster

Liked Posts:
After Sunday we will drink more Koolaide or dump it in the toilet...
Five days and we will see.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't understand the 'football shape' argument. These guys are world class athletes. It's not going to take months of conditioning for them to get into shape. Roquan should have had plenty of time. Mack may be a stretch, but he doesn't strike me as the type of guy who has been sitting at home eating Lays potato chips.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The one thing I am worried about is Smith. I don't think he should play much in this game. He may be a giften athlete, but that is THE matchup Rogers and Graham will attempt to exploit if it's available.

The rest arent as much issues as possible concerns...

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I don't understand the 'football shape' argument. These guys are world class athletes. It's not going to take months of conditioning for them to get into shape. Roquan should have had plenty of time. Mack may be a stretch, but he doesn't strike me as the type of guy who has been sitting at home eating Lays potato chips.

There is a difference, even the guys that stay in shape, improve as the season progresses. I'm sure you have also heard of "playing weight" because it is real.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
You forgot Floyds club. Won't matter though, Nagy will blow Pettine's weak defense to pieces. They won't know what hit them.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
The one thing I am worried about is Smith. I don't think he should play much in this game. He may be a giften athlete, but that is THE matchup Rogers and Graham will attempt to exploit if it's available.

The rest arent as much issues as possible concerns...

I’d use Smith as a “spy” for Rodgers and drop Floyd into coverage with Graham

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:

There is a significant difference from being “in shape” and being “in football shape.” Being “in shape” is what comes from spending hours in the weight room, swimming pool, or on the field doing strength training, cardio training, speed and agility work, and everything else in between. Being “in football shape” comes from (among other things) doing position-specific drills, putting the pads on and doing full-contact team drills, and lining up across from another player and doing one-on-one drills. While every player is required to show up to training camp “in shape” — they will quickly find themselves unemployed if they do not — very few (if any) players show up “in football shape.”

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Another reason to be pessimistic is that no one expects us to win really, even with Mack in the fold. That's a good thing though, IMO.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
-You're over 60 and are generally an old cuss who complains about anything and everything.
-You're a contrarian millennial. You think you're clever, but you're not. You're unoriginal and not funny.
-Your wife is sleeping with another dude
-You're failing intermediate algebra and it's your 3rd time taking it.
-You have no soul and you're really just a Packers fan.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
-You're over 60 and are generally an old cuss who complains about anything and everything.
-You're a contrarian millennial. You think you're clever, but you're not. You're unoriginal and not funny.
-Your wife is sleeping with another dude
-You're failing intermediate algebra and it's your 3rd time taking it.
-You have no soul and you're really just a Packers fan.

Let us know if you need to talk......

Reactions: DC

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
- Mack looks jacked and not out of shape in any way. He also has years upon years of high level experience to fall back on. He's at least a new piece that the Packers now have to worry about.

- Yes Smith hasn't played yet but he's practiced and is now going through a game week which involves specific game planning.

- Who knows what the offense will look like, but I don't think the lack of 25 snaps in the preseason is anything to go on.

- Nagy has play calling experience and has called plays on a bigger stage than the season opener.

- AR is fully recovered and has been cleared to play for a while now. How could you know if he's our best chance of having success? Perhaps Jordan Howard runs for 150 yards and 2 TDs, or maybe Trubisky has a great game in throwing to Burton/Miller/Gabriel/Cohen/Howard. Robinson doesn't need to have a big game in order for the Bears to play well and win.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
- Mack looks jacked and not out of shape in any way. He also has years upon years of high level experience to fall back on. He's at least a new piece that the Packers now have to worry about.

- Yes Smith hasn't played yet but he's practiced and is now going through a game week which involves specific game planning.

- Who knows what the offense will look like, but I don't think the lack of 25 snaps in the preseason is anything to go on.

- Nagy has play calling experience and has called plays on a bigger stage than the season opener.

- AR is fully recovered and has been cleared to play for a while now. How could you know if he's our best chance of having success? Perhaps Jordan Howard runs for 150 yards and 2 TDs, or maybe Trubisky has a great game in throwing to Burton/Miller/Gabriel/Cohen/Howard. Robinson doesn't need to have a big game in order for the Bears to play well and win.

Damn it BIG, quit hitting me with logic.... :)

Joliet Jake

Liked Posts:
There are a few reasons to be pessimistic about our chances of beating the Packers.

- Mack is brand new to the defense, and while his talent could naturally take over, he will be a little rusty and not in "football" shape.

- Smith is a rookie and has missed all of camp and all the preseason games. while he has had some chances to learn the defense, he too may not be in football shape.

- The Offense is brand new and the starters did not play a lot in the preseason. It should be expected that the offense will not be running like a machine in the first game of the season.

- Head Coach is first time HC, and while he may have called plays in KC and in the preseason, the season opener is a Prime time game on the road and now that the games count, that is a whole different level of pressure.

- AR is still recovering, and while we might have other weapons to use, he is our best chance of having success.

So... I still think we can surprise and even beat the Packers on Sunday night, and once all those pieces start getting experience, look out the Bears are for real this year.

All of that makes perfect sense. But one fact trumps all of the above: John Fox no longer coaches the Bears.

pepethebear

Liked Posts:
Pretty much all of the pessimism that's warranted in my view is on the offensive side of the ball. And it's more uncertainty than pessimism depending on what you think of Trubisky. The offensive line is the weakest area of the team in my view and its not really that bad.... yet.

Defensively there are no valid reasons for much pessimism. Anxiety about potential injuries is about as far as it goes for me. Mack makes every single player on that defense better and they were already good.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

Nagy's been game planning Pettine's defenses for months now. Clay Mathews will come out crying after the game suggesting that Nagy cheated he got beat so bad.