Reasonable & comprehensive article on all QB options available. SI

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He got lasik surgery. He came into the TB game and promptly fired a Td. He can probably take advantage of Mooney's speed on deep routes. And he has leadership qualities

they ran a gimmick play that the Tampa did not defend.
He threw 30 ints and 7 pick sixes in one season of football.
I think after the 20th INT and 4th pick,six...I think his leadership qualities were the least of what the Buccaneers needed

True....
Now the flip side ......5100+ passing yards (8th all-time) and 33 Tds. And now he can see better (I know personally what that can mean).

Here's some trivia: over the same period in their careers, Peyton Manning actually threw more ints.
George Blanda once threw 42 INTS. in a season

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Didn't he also get arrested for shoplifting ? I think it was seafood , crab legs perhaps ?

Wrong.....the workers at Publix gifted out free food items to FSU FB players on the down low. Winston didn't wanna squeal / snitch so he took the fall. This can be verified.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you think the mention of Cam or Tyrod is the supposed ANSWER to QB woes, you're missing the point.

Those are just best/value - cheapest bridge options to field a team until able to get their real answer b/c let's face it....

Bears are fucked right now. #20. In cap hell. Need OL, WR, and more hold to fill.

They aren't going to SB this season.
Gotta have somebody take snaps...some articles including this one even concede the possiblity Foles does it. Yikes, but it beats blowing the next several years of resources now just to save Nagy/Pace's ass for another 8-8 year vs. tank w/ a bridge, build an OL, fill holes & get their QB in 2022 with a delayed rookie contract & tools to train the dude with. Just my take though.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could see Cam being the next Bears QB to tell his coach to fuck off. ?

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
True....
Now the flip side ......5100+ passing yards (8th all-time) and 33 Tds. And now he can see better (I know personally what that can mean).

Here's some trivia: over the same period in their careers, Peyton Manning actually threw more ints.
George Blanda once threw 42 INTS. in a season
And I would take either over Winston.
Blanda won 11 games the year he threw 42 and made the playoffs. Winston 7 and no playoffs
Peyton was a rookie the year he threw 28 and never looked back. Winston was in his 5th season

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
I know Trask been discussed elsewhere, and what I’m reading about him leads me to believe he’s better that trubisky with some of the same issues, ie decision making, lack of experience. But, he’s 6’5 and has improved his footwork and deep ball accuracy. Would he be worth an early 2nd round look? And would he even be there?

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
I agree with this. Take as many swings as possible at the QB position. Even if you feel good about Trask/Jones/Lance...keep swinging every draft year.

I think the Bears have to draft a quarterback....That does not mean, however, he needs to be a starter on day one. I don't know how long the leash is for Nagy/Pace, but I have to think they'd prefer a veteran starter next year. Signing a 'bridge' quarterback (T-Mobile?) seems like a possibility.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Based on this article, which is pretty thorough and concise, considering what it reads is actually a likely scenario, I like these possibilities: (with drafting a QB)

Cam Newton - He can run an offense, bootleg and is a rushing threat

Alex Smith - He played really well before he went down with the injury. If he checks out medically, he could be good.

Jimmy Garoppolo - Hometown kid. Certainly has some talent and experience, could be a good pairing.

Mitch Trubisky - He played well those last 5-6 games. He might actually keep improving a bit.

JD Trendleton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. LA Clippers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Florida Gators
Mitchell Trubisky , Dak Prescott , Philip Rivers , Jameis Winston , Ryan Fitzpatrick , Andy Dalton, Jacoby Brissette , Tyrod Taylor , Cam Newton , Joe Flacco.

That is...depressing. Maybe we could grab a combo of Cam and Joe, or Fitztmagic and Dalton and continually rotate them throughout the game.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Based on this article, which is pretty thorough and concise, considering what it reads is actually a likely scenario, I like these possibilities: (with drafting a QB)

Alex Smith - He played really well before he went down with the injury. If he checks out medically, he could be good.

Jimmy Garoppolo - Hometown kid. Certainly has some talent and experience, could be a good pairing.

Mitch Trubisky - He played well those last 5-6 games. He might actually keep improving a bit.
No to Mitch. He did not improve at all since his rookie year, he was fortunate to play a lot of awful teams this season.

Karensman

Liked Posts:

I know this is a discussion and we don't have a say in it but I'd like to offer this :

[1] We have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL with the biggest problem being the turnstiles at OT. Both Massie & Leno I believe are free agents and not worth resigning. Why not draft a couple of OT's in the first 2-3 rounds and save the money ? Hopefully Daniels comes back healthy next year and with Whitehair and Mustipher [ Barrs can back up ] the center & guard positions should be okay.
[2] Young QB's are helped greatly by a good TE. We've had the worst TE's in the last couple of years ; Graham & Kmet are a huge upgrade although it took Nagy some time to incorporate Kmet into the offense. Trubisky's late season resurgence was mainly due to improved blocking from the interior line and a lot of play action rollouts with Kmet or Graham as targets. I would be remiss if I didn't note Mooney's continued improvement. It appears that our TE position [ please no injuries ] can actually be a strength going forward.
[3] Trubisky claimed the reason for improvement was the change in offensive philosophy / play calling. I would agree; Trubisky did not suddenly improve/ change. He is what he is. He is a competent QB that could flourish in the right system. He tends to play well late in games and wins more games than he loses. He is not a top 10 QB but he is in the top 20. One of his assets is his mobility and the chance to make a play with his feet. Foles does not have that ability.
[4] As far as options for QB : there really aren't many that seem to fit:
Garoppolo - injury prone and how long would he last behind our O-Line ? Also not very mobile.
Alex Smith - Great story, great leadership, but see above with Garoppolo. Do we want to see him die on the field ?
Cam Newton - Interesting, but the offense has to be designed to fit his skills [ running ability ] , if he gets injured the team would be screwed unless backup QB was similar in talent/style. Foles is about 100% opposite of Newton so Foles and his $8 salary has to go if we get Newton. Also at Newton's age there is valid concern whether his career may be over due to injuries.
[5] I would prefer to see T. Taylor picked up at the right price and let him and Foles compete. Both are competent but tend to be injury prone. Taylor has more mobility but Foles is higher in accuracy.
[6] Unless something unforeseen happens the Bears are not going to draft a franchise QB at #20 in the draft. Unless we upgrade the O-Line a rookie QB will be chewed up and wrecked if he is thrown to the wolves.
[7] I agree with most of the article except I don't think Cam Newton is the answer and I don't understand why he quickly dismissed Marcus Marriota who I think might be the best choice ! Marriota has the skills but got chewed up by injuries playing for the Titans [ thanks Jeff Fisher ] and lost his confidence and signed with the Raiders. He sat most of the year [ not active most of their games, still recovering from injuries ] and finally got a chance to play late in the year against the Dolphins and looked really good when given a chance. He's Trubisky level : not top 10 but definitely in the top 20. In the right system he could flourish.
[8] No matter which way we go, without high level coaching the decision could turn into a disaster no matter who we go with as QB. With Nagy as coach I'm afraid that will happen.

Karensman

Liked Posts:
T
No to Mitch. He did not improve at all since his rookie year, he was fortunate to play a lot of awful teams this season.
Tough to be a successful QB when the plays that are called are bubble screens to Adam Shaheen and deep passes to J. Wims !

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
T

Tough to be a successful QB when the plays that are called are bubble screens to Adam Shaheen and deep passes to J. Wims !
Who is Adam Shaheen?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
And I would take either over Winston.
Blanda won 11 games the year he threw 42 and made the playoffs. Winston 7 and no playoffs
Peyton was a rookie the year he threw 28 and never looked back. Winston was in his 5th season

You're right....Blanda made the playoffs. But jeez, 42 ints over a 14 game season. With today's 16 game schedule and a playoff game, that prorates to around 51 ints.

On Peyton.....
I probably wasn't clear when I said at the same point. I was referring to the ints. during the first 5yrs of both careers. PM had 138 td's vs 100 ints. Winston 121 td's vs 88 ints. But I understand your discomfort with JW. Now that his eyes are fixed maybe he never throws 30picks again. ?

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You're right....Blanda made the playoffs. But jeez, 42 ints over a 14 game season. With today's 16 game schedule and a playoff game, that prorates to around 51 ints.

On Peyton.....
I probably wasn't clear when I said at the same point. I was referring to the ints. during the first 5yrs of both careers. PM had 138 td's vs 100 ints. Winston 121 td's vs 88 ints. But I understand your discomfort with JW. Now that his eyes are fixed maybe he never throws 30picks again. ?
If Winston would have won games and made the playoffs...the sting isn’t as bad. But he contributed to the loses with that many pick sixes.....who needs that kinda of headache especially when you defense isn’t playing well

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know this is a discussion and we don't have a say in it but I'd like to offer this :

[1] We have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL with the biggest problem being the turnstiles at OT. Both Massie & Leno I believe are free agents and not worth resigning. Why not draft a couple of OT's in the first 2-3 rounds and save the money ? Hopefully Daniels comes back healthy next year and with Whitehair and Mustipher [ Barrs can back up ] the center & guard positions should be okay.
Agreed. Both Ts need replacing now (2 years ago). They maybe were/could be salvagable starters til' Nagy complicated things far past their ability & didn't hold anyone accountable when they struggled, even gave up trying.

[2] Young QB's are helped greatly by a good TE. We've had the worst TE's in the last couple of years ; Graham & Kmet are a huge upgrade although it took Nagy some time to incorporate Kmet into the offense. Trubisky's late season resurgence was mainly due to improved blocking from the interior line and a lot of play action rollouts with Kmet or Graham as targets. I would be remiss if I didn't note Mooney's continued improvement. It appears that our TE position [ please no injuries ] can actually be a strength going forward.
(y)

[3] Trubisky claimed the reason for improvement was the change in offensive philosophy / play calling. I would agree; Trubisky did not suddenly improve/ change. He is what he is. He is a competent QB that could flourish in the right system. He tends to play well late in games and wins more games than he loses. He is not a top 10 QB but he is in the top 20. One of his assets is his mobility and the chance to make a play with his feet. Foles does not have that ability.
Mitch cannot succeed with Nagy calling plays. This has been proven with actual games in A-B-A tests as Nagy clearly fell back into his ways of NOT playing to his strengths. With Mitch as yet the next guy (Foles did before & got benched) to call out the play calling. He's as good as gone. Honestly - good for him. He deserves better.

[4] As far as options for QB : there really aren't many that seem to fit:
Garoppolo - injury prone and how long would he last behind our O-Line ? Also not very mobile.
Alex Smith - Great story, great leadership, but see above with Garoppolo. Do we want to see him die on the field ?
Cam Newton - Interesting, but the offense has to be designed to fit his skills [ running ability ] , if he gets injured the team would be screwed unless backup QB was similar in talent/style. Foles is about 100% opposite of Newton so Foles and his $8 salary has to go if we get Newton. Also at Newton's age there is valid concern whether his career may be over due to injuries.
Any of them, if cheap enough could be fine as a bridge QB for a year or 2 (possible 2nd year as backup once Foles leaves next year).

[5] I would prefer to see T. Taylor picked up at the right price and let him and Foles compete. Both are competent but tend to be injury prone. Taylor has more mobility but Foles is higher in accuracy.
Sure - why the hell not!? Might just have a higher ceiling with athleticism. ?‍♂️

[6] Unless something unforeseen happens the Bears are not going to draft a franchise QB at #20 in the draft. Unless we upgrade the O-Line a rookie QB will be chewed up and wrecked if he is thrown to the wolves.
I hope you're right. So long as Pace isn't feeling his seat on fire, I do think he's reasonably pragmatic about not reaching. Who knows though. Pressure might be strong to trade away the future for a top 4 in the 1st. I really hope not.

[7] I agree with most of the article except I don't think Cam Newton is the answer and I don't understand why he quickly dismissed Marcus Marriota who I think might be the best choice ! Marriota has the skills but got chewed up by injuries playing for the Titans [ thanks Jeff Fisher ] and lost his confidence and signed with the Raiders. He sat most of the year [ not active most of their games, still recovering from injuries ] and finally got a chance to play late in the year against the Dolphins and looked really good when given a chance. He's Trubisky level : not top 10 but definitely in the top 20. In the right system he could flourish.
TBH, I never considered Marriota, but he could have a decent floor and ceiling (not top tier of course), but enough to bridge for a year or 2 & possibly guide a mid-round QB this year.

[8] No matter which way we go, without high level coaching the decision could turn into a disaster no matter who we go with as QB. With Nagy as coach I'm afraid that will happen.
Sadly, yes. Unless Pace DOES fix the Tackle position (both), and a QB happens to jive with Nagy's scheme, it'll be another shitshow, perhaps slightly better to another 8-8 season give or take a few. Goldman back, others heal up, Kmet & Mooney continue to grow. Loss of AR though ?‍♂️

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears