Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Does anyone know how to recover deleted texts from a Samsung Galaxy S8?

I will literally pay you if I have to... this is for an investigation and we need these.

@Crystallas ?

Last edited:

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

I will literally pay you if I have to... this is for an investigation and we need these.
I think you can contact your wireless provider and they can give you transcripts. Only on your account though. My buddy caught a cheating ex this way.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think you can contact your wireless provider and they can give you transcripts. Only on your account though. My buddy caught a cheating ex this way.

I called and they said they need a court order.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I have no idea if this works, but I found this doing a quick search:

Assuming you have the physical device. Looks like they have a tool for both Win and Mac.

Reactions: BNB

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have no idea if this works, but I found this doing a quick search:

Assuming you have the physical device. Looks like they have a tool for both Win and Mac.

Thanks, I'll give this one a shot. I tried some other ones, but it required the phone to be rooted, which I have no experience in doing.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
@BNB Why would you ask @Crystallas about something tech related? That’s like asking Trubisky for tips on being a good QB. Or asking @Urblock for moderating tips.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Sounds like a job for a D'tective

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Thanks, I'll give this one a shot. I tried some other ones, but it required the phone to be rooted, which I have no experience in doing.
It sounds like this one requires the phone to be rooted as well. There may be no way of getting around that.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It sounds like this one requires the phone to be rooted as well. There may be no way of getting around that.

Yeah... seems like it. I'm willing to try it, but I don't wanna turn the phone into a paperweight either haha

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah... seems like it. I'm willing to try it, but I don't wanna turn the phone into a paperweight either haha
Yeah. I wouldn't recommend using one of those apps out there that makes it "easy". E.g. King Root. I'd check the XDA forums for specific advice. If it gets too technical, maybe find someone who has some expertise to do it for you. I understand the general process, but have never done it because I haven't needed to. Good luck :)

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

@Crystallas ?
What kind of investigation and who is we?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Well, not an easy explaination. You can try premade apps to do it, but you have to realize sms/mms data, while not fully encrypted, are still custom kept from system to system to provide some protection from dataminers and exploits.

How are your adb tool skills? It's the basic tool-set for reading and writing data from one device to an android device. I would either do a raw dump of the partition, trying to recover over-written data and just run your favorite disk recovery tool, or go straight to the disk recovery tool. Android system and text partitions are less than 20gb total, so it would only take 20 minutes or so to do . And if you are lucky that those blocks have been fragmented and remain unwritten after delete, you can even try to just recover from the directory itself, and leave the rest alone. Sorry that I can only point you in a direction, as every manufacturer, and sometimes every device, can have a slightly different method of accessing data. But that is how you would do it, and whether you NEED root or not, depends on where the actual sms/mms database files are kept and how they are encrypted (if any). Your carrier only keeps logs.

So tl;dr ...
potentially optional: #1) Learn to root, find someone to do it for you that you trust.
#2) Find sms database location.
#3) Attempt file recovery.
#4a) if 3 succeeds, open the old database in your SMS reader.
#4b) if 3 fails, learn every song and dance move from every season of Glee, join a flash mob, and show up at Tribars house for poison lemonade.