Red flag or non-issue

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Biggs recently said on 670 that the Bears offered McGlinchey 17 mil before he signed with the Broncos. If true, it raises some questions for me.
1. Like many others here, I didn't think Poles was willing to sign a player for that kind of money and his plan was to build through the draft.
2. Many here said he wasn't a fit for the Bears oline. Apparently at 17 mil he was.
3. What was Poles backup plan. Hard to believe it was McGlinchey or nothing.
4. Did he have a player at 9 that he wanted that wasn't a tackle or is there not a tackle at 9 that he thinks is worth that pick.

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:
Biggs recently said on 670 that the Bears offered McGlinchey 17 mil before he signed with the Broncos. If true, it raises some questions for me.
1. Like many others here, I didn't think Poles was willing to sign a player for that kind of money and his plan was to build through the draft.
2. Many here said he wasn't a fit for the Bears oline. Apparently at 17 mil he was.
4. Did he have a player at 9 that he wanted that wasn't a tackle or is there not a tackle at 9 that he thinks is worth that pick.
Given the physical type/profile of players that Poles, Cunningham, and Flus have brought in, I'm not buying that. Sometimes Biggs says shit, and if proven wrong, goes dead silent.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If true, I wouldn’t read too much into it. This happens to most teams every year. A free agent only can say yes to one team. The Bears can completely rebuild their team in one year and have a draft and the most money in cap space next year.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Who said he wasn't a fit the 49ers run a very similar offensive line.

Back up plan is the draft or possibly a trade but he probably won't overpay.

A player at 9 not worth it? Draft picks take time to develop they aren't overnight success stories most the time. Having a vet on a front loaded deal would make sense.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

I don’t think posters here said he’s not a scheme fit. Scheme fit and run blocking are his best attributes.

Poles had a ceiling on his offer and once the Broncos went higher, Poles moved on. That to me is discipline not a red flag.

Last edited:

InsideTheLines

Opinionated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Miami Marlins
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
  2. Northwestern Wildcats
Non-issue.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Huge non issue. Say he offered $17M/yr, then he offered the going rate and the player chose a different team.
Now ask your self where Biggs got that number, Poles, Cunningham, and Stein are the only 3 men that are privy to those numbers. Do you think any of those 3 feed Fat Bastard that information?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If Ryan Poles is doing his job, he's played out scenarios where McGlinchey did and did not sign with the Bears. Now we know that he didn't sign, I'm sure there are a variety of scenarios he's playing out. For instance, let's say he was now targeting an OT at #9. What happens if the Raiders or Falcons take his OT? What if the Titans trade up? The Patriots? Ravens?

Again, if he's doing his job he's played out as many scenarios as possible.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

1. He signed Edmunds for 18m a year so not sure what you thought that.
2. Don't recall anyone saying he was not a scheme fit as he has played in a similar outside zone scheme his entire career. The knock on him is that he isn't actually a particularly good pass blocker as he graded out pretty much the same as Borom from a pass blocking perspective. His value was in that he is a pretty good to great run blocker while Borom sucked in that regard.
3. I suppose the backup plan is to be patient and see if a solution presents itself in the draft or later in FA. Short of that then we still have 3 internal candidates with Jenkins, Borom, and Leatherwood. All young enough that they could still develop further.
4. Who knows.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think he wants to spend #9 on a RT and realizes his DL is even worse than his OL and that was before the signing at G. He got a capable body to throw into the OL mix and will draft more but I suspect not at 9. OL evaluation acumen should translate into finding and developing players later instead of spending a 1st on the obvious guy when you have a stronger need elsewhere.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I assume his contingency was paying a Nate Davis type to solidify the interior OL and either playing a high pick at RT or moving over Jenkins.

If RT is a failure this year he deserves criticism.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
I’m really torn on how the Bears should address RT. Using a top 10 pick on an RT is usually viewed as a reach, because that’s typically where a LT is drafted. However, if the Bears don’t draft an OT in the first round, I worry there won’t be a RT available towards the end of the 2nd round. A lot depends on how Poles/Cunningham view Jaelyn Duncan, Blake Freeland, or Carter Warren. All would be good fits, but are projects.

My hope is that the Bears are able to trade down (again) and then draft an offensive tackle, while adding draft capital to address the defensive line.

If the Bears can’t trade down, I’m still leaning towards taking an OT, because I don’t want there to be ANY excuses for Fields to not perform well this season.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
It wasn’t an about fit. Poles graded him at a ceiling of 17mil . Denver offered 17.5 mil. McGlinchey took the higher offer.

It’s not that hard to follow.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
I don’t think posters here said he’s not a scheme fit. Scheme fit and run blocking are his best attributes.

Poles had a ceiling on his offer and once the Broncos went higher, Poles moved on. That to me is discipline not a red flag.

I agree.

It's easy to get sucked into a bidding war and overpay...The smart move is to walk away and spend those assets elsewhere.

1679506817495.png

greg23

Liked Posts:
I agree.

It's easy to get sucked into a bidding war and overpay...The smart move is to walk away and spend those assets elsewhere.

View attachment 27683
I get it....but at some point you keep walking away enough and you're left with the likes of mustipher and borom and a declining whitehair starting

This year so far he's added another guard who plays the right side like one of his two capable lineman.

Intersted to see his plan; but it's trending toward another band aid solution along the ol comprised mostly of role players and backup level players

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I know he's had a few missteps over the decades he's been covering the Bears, but I would be surprised if this is inaccurate from Brad Biggs. Its just an inconvienient truth that the Bears are not an attractive destination and ultimately when you get down to it the league believes more in a Russell Wilson bounceback year than a Justin Fields learns how to pass year.

All the shit you read about on social media like "this guy is A DUDE and you GOT TO BUILD around him CHICAGO!!! #BearDown" is just bullshit. Dan Orlovsky simply reported what he had heard, the most tepid possible criticism of Justin Fields, and the pitchforks came out. Nobody is going to offer a real opinion on him after that.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
McGlinchey had an obvious number that they were willing to stop at and it was 17. Digging way too deep into it over that

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know he's had a few missteps over the decades he's been covering the Bears, but I would be surprised if this is inaccurate from Brad Biggs. Its just an inconvienient truth that the Bears are not an attractive destination and ultimately when you get down to it the league believes more in a Russell Wilson bounceback year than a Justin Fields learns how to pass year.

All the shit you read about on social media like "this guy is A DUDE and you GOT TO BUILD around him CHICAGO!!! #BearDown" is just bullshit. Dan Orlovsky simply reported what he had heard, the most tepid possible criticism of Justin Fields, and the pitchforks came out. Nobody is going to offer a real opinion on him after that.

Bears offered 17m a year. Broncos offeref 17.5m a year. He went with the team that offered more. Math is hard! Derp!

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Non-issue in terms of intermediate and long FA.

The reasoning is probably a little bit f both money and fit.

Money- may not have been the 17m..May have been the length and/or the guaranteed.

Fit-putting yourself in McGlincheys position. Would you have chosen a) Chicago”s newer coach, gm, quarterback, and their ownership, or b) Denver with Payton, Wilson, and new Walmart money ownership?

Chicago needs to draft well. Time and again. Then in time when we start winning it’ll be a premier destination again for Free agents.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m really torn on how the Bears should address RT. Using a top 10 pick on an RT is usually viewed as a reach, because that’s typically where a LT is drafted. However, if the Bears don’t draft an OT in the first round, I worry there won’t be a RT available towards the end of the 2nd round. A lot depends on how Poles/Cunningham view Jaelyn Duncan, Blake Freeland, or Carter Warren. All would be good fits, but are projects.

My hope is that the Bears are able to trade down (again) and then draft an offensive tackle, while adding draft capital to address the defensive line.

If the Bears can’t trade down, I’m still leaning towards taking an OT, because I don’t want there to be ANY excuses for Fields to not perform well this season.
Who says if they take a tackle at 10 they will automatically play RT?