Relax, guys...

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been quiet on here because of all the negativity here on CSS. The negativity isn't anything new, though.

What drives me nuts is that we KNEW this would be a bad team. We KNEW there would be growing pains here and there. We KNEW we have shitty talent around Justin Fields. We KNEW we were in a tough spot because of limited draft capital and cap space. We KNEW it was going to be an overall rough year because of the house cleaning.

With that being said, just enjoy the positives. Like, Jenkins is looking like a stud at RG. That's awesome and one piece for the future. We have a great running game. The team plays hard and fights like hell to win. Games are close. We could easily be 4-2 or whatever.

So, try to relax, enjoy the rest of the season, find the positives. The upcoming off-season will be fun. All that cap space and back to having a regular amount of draft picks will help a lot. Also, we will know which one of these 1-year-contract guys will be the ones to stick around or not. Maybe we'll find a gem, maybe not. Just enjoy.

Good things are coming in the future.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I've been quiet on here because of all the negativity here on CSS. The negativity isn't anything new, though.

What drives me nuts is that we KNEW this would be a bad team. We KNEW there would be growing pains here and there. We KNEW we have shitty talent around Justin Fields. We KNEW we were in a tough spot because of limited draft capital and cap space. We KNEW it was going to be an overall rough year because of the house cleaning.

With that being said, just enjoy the positives. Like, Jenkins is looking like a stud at RG. That's awesome and one piece for the future. We have a great running game. The team plays hard and fights like hell to win. Games are close. We could easily be 4-2 or whatever.

So, try to relax, enjoy the rest of the season, find the positives. The upcoming off-season will be fun. All that cap space and back to having a regular amount of draft picks will help a lot. Also, we will know which one of these 1-year-contract guys will be the ones to stick around or not. Maybe we'll find a gem, maybe not. Just enjoy.

Great post. Yes we KNEW this would be a bad team, well most of us. Not sure why anyone in here or anywhere were predicting anything more than 6 wins. IMO Jenkins is good, Brisker and Gordon BOTH will be very good. And Fields will be fine by this time next year, we will all (well, most of us) know he is the real deal. As some had said, the win against the Niners was bad for this fan base as a whole.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Well said. IF Fields turns out to be the real deal they will have a franchise qb for the first time in many decades.

What this season is also showing is how badly Pace constructed this roster and managed the draft and cap space.

Always try to look at the positives.

Last edited:

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well said. IF Fields turns out to be the real deal they will have a franchise qb for the first time in many decades.

What this season is also showing is how badly Pave constructed this roster and managed the draft and cap space.

Always try to look at the positives.

I don't think he managed anything "badly". His options were severely limited. He couldn't make a splash. He hardly had any picks and the fact he managed to turn 4 or 5 into 12 or whatever is a win, especially if a couple turn out to be good players.

I think the REAL judgment on Poles begins with the 2023 off-season. Gotta see what he can do with all that cap space, real value draft picks, AND almost no dead weight.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I don't think he managed anything "badly". His options were severely limited. He couldn't make a splash. He hardly had any picks and the fact he managed to turn 4 or 5 into 12 or whatever is a win, especially if a couple turn out to be good players.

I think the REAL judgment on Poles begins with the 2023 off-season. Gotta see what he can do with all that cap space, real value draft picks, AND almost no dead weight.
Agreed. I was talking about how the current status of the roster is an indictment on how badly Pace mismanaged things and kept kicking weight down the road.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Dick J. spewing truth. Year 1 of a rebuild always looks bad.

The true test of a GM is drafting pass rushers and a QB. Poles will do both the next 2 drafts and we will see what we have.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed. I was talking about how the current status of the roster is an indictment on how badly Pace mismanaged things and kept kicking weight down the road.

Yup, and when Pace took over everybody blamed Emery, and when Emery took over everybody blamed Angelo.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great post. Yes we KNEW this would be a bad team, well most of us. Not sure why anyone in here or anywhere were predicting anything more than 6 wins. IMO Jenkins is good, Brisker and Gordon BOTH will be very good. And Fields will be fine by this time next year, we will all (well, most of us) know he is the real deal. As some had said, the win against the Niners was bad for this fan base as a whole.
@Visionman

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I mean, for fucks sake, THIS.

People are acting like Ryan Pace is still in charge.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Yep.

What cracks me up are the people who have utterly CONVINCED themselves that this year is somehow a referrendum on Fields, and that the Bears will be drafting a QB this year or next.

Even if the GM DOESN'T believe in Fields, Fields has shown enough spots of special to warrant running out his entire contract, building a team AROUND him, and then when his contract is up, THAT season going to get a QB in the draft - because by that point if you feel you have all the other pieces necessary and Fields isn't it, at that point you CAN sacrifice a draft to trade up and get "your guy", and the actual clock on your job as GM won't start until THEN. You get to delay it by a TON.

Why wouldn't a smart GM take FULL advantage of that? Keeping Fields to the end of his contract is GM JOB SECURITY.

And as you build around Fields, he might end up growing into the role, similar to Hurts, or Allen from year 1 to year 2, etc.

All these fans who want the GM or think the GM will draft a starting QB in the next year or two are just brain dead on so many levels...

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
True. Pace walked into a bad situation also. Just shows how badly the Bears need consistent competency at the GM spot.

People won't want to hear this, but Pace early on was rebuilding the team in a VERY smart way. Signing vets to minimum contracts (that everyone was bitching about at the time) to buy time to draft their replacements.

The issue for Pace is that he fucked up the 2 biggest positions you CAN'T fuck up as a GM and expect to survive - coach and QB.

Well, that, and his lack of success in round 1 came back to bite him, which is how the Bears ended up in cap hell and we wound up in this situation in the first place.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Based off our soft schedule, a new offensive playcaller, and a hopefully improving young Franchice QB I thouught 7-8 wins would be the floor. Even Vegas had us at 6.5 wins. In recent history we beat teams like the Commanders and Giants consistently. So it's a bit of a let down for me so far.

Yet, the losses aren't as frustrating as the lack of a passing game. How are we supposed to develop and evaluate Fields with the supporting cast we have? And to assume it will get better in the offseason isn't a given...not even close. I'm afraid we have so much money we are going to over pay for a mediocre receiver of just not get anyone since the market is looking bare. It likely will make more sense to go defense. The draft isn't as deep at wr as some want to try and hype it up to be either. Hopefully I'm wrong.

But even then, that's just the immediate short term. And we will be much improved next season. I'm just concerned we could go the next two seasons and never be able to provide Fields a legitimate supporting cast or a legit #1 receiver. It only takes one play to lose him for the season...and then all he'll would break loose.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I agree. My worry is protecting Fields from getting seriously injured. This is where the play calling and keeping him in the pocket comes in. I don't worry about him running on his own. I worry about the pocket collapsing and the defensive linemen going for his knees.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Yep.

What cracks me up are the people who have utterly CONVINCED themselves that this year is somehow a referrendum on Fields, and that the Bears will be drafting a QB this year or next.

Even if the GM DOESN'T believe in Fields, Fields has shown enough spots of special to warrant running out his entire contract, building a team AROUND him, and then when his contract is up, THAT season going to get a QB in the draft - because by that point if you feel you have all the other pieces necessary and Fields isn't it, at that point you CAN sacrifice a draft to trade up and get "your guy", and the actual clock on your job as GM won't start until THEN. You get to delay it by a TON.

Why wouldn't a smart GM take FULL advantage of that? Keeping Fields to the end of his contract is GM JOB SECURITY.

And as you build around Fields, he might end up growing into the role, similar to Hurts, or Allen from year 1 to year 2, etc.

All these fans who want the GM or think the GM will draft a starting QB in the next year or two are just brain dead on so many levels...
You should learn to keep your thoughts to a few sentences. No one is reading all that bla(u)bber

Payton!34

Liked Posts:

Cap space, Poles will have no choice but to get defensive players as there really won’t be anything on offense to write home about.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Is a piss pot, crying over board negativity with this negative piss piece?

Its a long fucking season you bed wetting nihilists. Fucks so negative they dont even wash their piss drenched bed sheets. They let it dry on the bed, cause theyve surrendered to the idea that they be pissing it again tonight. Walking around life smelling like an ammonia leak.

13-4 is still on the table. The streak starts on MNF.

Last edited:

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
The OP is correct that the team was expected to be bad. But what matters more than anything this year is the development of Fields. We are not seeing that. That is cause for concern. No one should deny that.