Remydat 2nd Mock Offseason

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So now that the Bears front office and coaching staff is taking shape, let's do another mock offseason. Here was the first one I did.

And the current cap which is 28.7 million and 41 players signed.

CUTS
Goldman - 6.7 million saved - Not worth his 11m cap hit as really doesn't offer more than Tonga at this point.
Jeremy Atta - 1.9 million saved - With the emergence of Gipson, we really don't need him.
Total Cap Space Left - 37.3 million
Players signed - 39

RE-SIGN

Peters/Wilkinson - 1m - Can come back to mentor and backup Borom and Jenkins. If he retires then just resign Wilkinson as dept.
Horsted - 1m - Should get the nod as the big slot WR/move TE going forward as more dynamic a receiver than Kmet.
DHC - 1m - He can come back as a potential starting S as we have to save somewhere
Bush - 1m - Another potential starting S that is cheap.
Grant - 2 years 4m - With Cohen's future up in the air, he serves as a good PR and gadget guy on O
Total Cap Space Left - 31.3m
Players Signed - 45

FREE AGENTS
LAKEN TOMLINSON,
SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
See previous mock linked above for more detail but still his strengths as a run blocker particularly in zone are aligned with Getsy. Currently plays in a Shanny O so shouldn't be a huge adjust to Getsy given he is indirectly from the Shanny tree. He also fits Poles vision of building the OL and as he did for the Chiefs, he went the FA route to fix the OL quickly. Tomlinson finished the year with 3 sacks, 33 pressures and the 13 best graded G in the NFL. Daniels finished with 3 sacks and 33 pressures as well and was the 19th best graded guard (Tomlinson had a better run grade) so as he is younger I have no problem going with Daniels at RG instead of Tomlinson.
Contract Projection: Three years, $27 million ($9M per year, $16.5 million total guaranteed, 6 million first year cap hit)

CONNOR WILLIAMS, DALLAS COWBOYS
Also from my original mock, Williams strengths are blocking on the move and combo blocks which is a staple in the Shanny run game that Getsy looks to employ. Williams actually finished the season strong as he gave up only 2 sacks and 15 pressures. Think he would be the ideal LG for the Bears.
Contract Projection: Three years, $20 million ($6.67M per year, $12.5 million total guaranteed, 4 million first year cap hit)

STEVEN NELSON, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
Again another guy from my original mock and still a good fit IMO. He is best in zone and is physical while rarely getting beaten deep so exactly what you need from a Cover 2 CB.
Contract Projection: Two years, $14 million ($7M per year, $8.5 million total guaranteed, 5 million first year cap hit)

ODELL BECKHAM JR., LOS ANGELES RAMS
He was a controversial choice in my first mock but hopefully people see why I wanted him watching the Rams in the playoffs. Think his ball skills and ability to win deep are perfect for Fields and as long as he gets balls I think his attitude can be managed. Still think he comes in around 14m a year but may now need a 3 year deal but every way think his first year cap hit will be the same 14m. If people still not sold on him then I would look to DJ Chark or Christian Kirk as alternatives with Kirk probably coming in a bit cheaper.
Contract Projection: Three years, $42 million ($14M per year, $30 million total guaranteed, 10m first year cap hit)

Total Cap Space Left - 6.1m
Players Signed 49

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Drake London, WR, USC
We have Mooney as the smaller vertical WR so this is about adding a Mike Evans bigger WR that can still stretch the field vertically while offering a bit more physicality especially from a YAC and run blocking perspective.

Quay Walker, LB, Georgia
While his draft profile projects more as a Will, he has the skills to be a modern day Mike backer. Excellent in coverage so can play in base and nickel but more importantly he is very good at block deconstruction as his scouting profile notes. That is a must at Mike and something Quan doesn’t provide hence why Quan is best suited for Will and Walker for the Mike spot. I was tempted to go with Winfrey here but felt we could survive at 3Tech with a combination of Blackson/Edwards/Mack whereas we really need another 3 down LB.

Akayleb Evans, CB, Missouri
I actually wanted to go IDL or IOL here but went with the BPA available. Despite already signing Nelson, Evans would be a steal here and the eventual heir apparent as the big and physical CB that can play Cover and Cover 3.

Chigoziem Okonkwo, TE, Maryland
Again was looking for IDL or IOL but in keeping with the BPA theme decided to get a pretty good TE prospect who unlike Kmet is a better fit as a move TE/H-Back who can get vertical and great at YAC. His comp is Njoku but I see him as a potential cross between Kyle J and Kittle which works for a Shanny type O.

Chris Paul, IOL, Tulsa
Definitely a little later than I would have linked but the value wasn’t there in the earlier rounds IMO. Plus already went a long way to address OL by signing 2 guards in FA. In any event Paul represents a development guard with some size and power.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Offense
QB - Fields
HB - Monty/Herbert
WR - OBJ, London, Mooney, Newsome, Grant
TE - Kmet, Chigo, Horstad
LT - Jenkins
LG - Williams
C - Whitehair
RG - Tomlinson
RT - Borom

4-3 Base
RDE - Quinn
NT - Tonga
3T - Blackson/Edwards
LDE - Mack
WLB - Smith
MLB - Walker
SLB - Gipson
RCB - Nelson/Evans
LCB - Johnson
FS - Jackson
SS - Bush/DHC

Nickel
RDE - Quinn
NT - Blackson
3T - Edwards/Mack
LDE - Mack/Gipson
WLB - Smith
MLB - Walker
Nickel - Jackson/Graham
RCB - Nelson/Evans
LCB - Johnson
FS - DHC
SS - Bush

Last edited:

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I'd like to bring Nichols back. Not sure what kind of money he'd command but I think he'd be a better option at 3T than what this mock has.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I love the Odell signing . I said I hope they sign him in another thread. He still is a very good WR and can add some juice to the WR corps without breaking the bank.

Would rather sign a C like Bozeman rather than Williams. I heard Williams didn’t really have a great year. Tomlinson is fine. Really, making a run at Armstead and or Bozeman and then going G in the draft would be great, but I see what you’re trying to do. Love building in the trenches. Odell would be great.

I love mocks, just because we can get a glimpse of players coming up. Appreciate the effort in making it.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I feel like OBJ is gonna get tier-1 money in free agency. Poles mentioned being a fan of wave 2/3. I think somebody like Gallup or DJ Chark is more likely.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
A bunch of the players the Bears currently have signed are practice squad players, so your team has zero depth.

Also really weak at DL and brutal at safety.

That is the reality we will be in if you want to sign any decent FAs at OL and WR in particular. We are also going to have to rely on rookie FAs quite a bit as well as vet minimum type guys who will then replace the practice squad members. Think we will have to survive a year at S and 3T and then go after those positions in 2023.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I love the Odell signing . I said I hope they sign him in another thread. He still is a very good WR and can add some juice to the WR corps without breaking the bank.

Would rather sign a C like Bozeman rather than Williams. I heard Williams didn’t really have a great year. Tomlinson is fine. Really, making a run at Armstead and or Bozeman and then going G in the draft would be great, but I see what you’re trying to do. Love building in the trenches. Odell would be great.

I love mocks, just because we can get a glimpse of players coming up. Appreciate the effort in making it.

Williams was the 11 graded guard this year and had 3 sacks and 15 total pressures. Bozeman was 11th at C with 3 sacks and 21 pressures. If you rank G and C together then Williams was 14 and Bozeman 16. So honestly I am fine with either but went with Williams as I think he has slightly more upside.

I don't see how we have the money to go after Armstead. He will likely get something like 17m-20m a year it seems which would pretty much kill our depth even more than I am projecting. Don't see how we can really afford Armstead and Bozeman unless you getting rid of someone like Quinn which is possible.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I feel like OBJ is gonna get tier-1 money in free agency. Poles mentioned being a fan of wave 2/3. I think somebody like Gallup or DJ Chark is more likely.

Yeah his value may have gone up but right now PFF had Beckham at 14m per and Chark/Gallup at like 13-14m per. So if they are roughly the same price I take OBJ.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You can cut Cohen and Trevathan too. Need a backup C or a starter C. Remy its good. It has few holes though.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
That is the reality we will be in if you want to sign any decent FAs at OL and WR in particular. We are also going to have to rely on rookie FAs quite a bit as well as vet minimum type guys who will then replace the practice squad members. Think we will have to survive a year at S and 3T and then go after those positions in 2023.
Beckham is a waste of money at that price given the odds he's healthy and interested. Almost zero chance Poles goes there. Williams is likely to get more than that. I'd think about someone like Lucas Patrick, who did well for GB, has a connection to Getsy, and won't cost nearly as much.

Poles all but said he id going to build inside out so I'd expect way more at DL and probably less investment at WR - not highest FA spend and the top draft pick.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Would prefer Kirk to OBJ
Don’t like Cody at C. Would prefer Jensen or Bozeman and keep Cody at LG
Penciling in Borom and Jenkins as starters seems dangerous to me. Would prefer an OT in round 2. Wouldn’t mind bringing back Daniels at RG. Then have Jenkins/Borom/Rookie OT compete for the 2 starting spots.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah his value may have gone up but right now PFF had Beckham at 14m per and Chark/Gallup at like 13-14m per. So if they are roughly the same price I take OBJ.
Chark and Gallup won't get that imo. Both injured and really only had one good year each.

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
CONNOR WILLIAMS, DALLAS COWBOYS
Also from my original mock, Williams strengths are blocking on the move and combo blocks which is a staple in the Shanny run game that Getsy looks to employ. Williams actually finished the season strong as he gave up only 2 sacks and 15 pressures. Think he would be the ideal LG for the Bears.
Contract Projection: Three years, $20 million ($6.67M per year, $12.5 million total guaranteed, 4 million first year cap hit)

Connor Williams = :turrible:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You can cut Cohen and Trevathan too. Need a backup C or a starter C. Remy its good. It has few holes though.

Trevathan costs 5.7m to keep but 8.9m to cut so not worth cutting him. Even if you designate him a June 1 cut then you would still carry the 5.7m cap hit through most of FA and the draft. Cohen is 5.75m to keep and 3.5m to cut but you can't cut him until he is healthy which is anyone's guess.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Beckham is a waste of money at that price given the odds he's healthy and interested. Almost zero chance Poles goes there. Williams is likely to get more than that. I'd think about someone like Lucas Patrick, who did well for GB, has a connection to Getsy, and won't cost nearly as much.

Poles all but said he id going to build inside out so I'd expect way more at DL and probably less investment at WR - not highest FA spend and the top draft pick.

Well the new WR coach played with OBS and coached OBJ for one year with the Giants but sure it is a long shot. And yes if Williams gets closer to the 9-10m Tomlinson gets then you probably have to go cheaper there. I just stuck with the PFF projection.

On the DL, I just don't see much value there right now. We have much bigger holes elsewhere with only Mooney and Newsome signed at WR. Whereas I think Blackson/Edwards at 3T with Mack helping out on some passing downs can carry us for a year. I would target getting a proper 3T once more salary comes off the books including Blackson/Edwards and when we have more draft capital as I think you need to eventually find someone elite there. I could live with Winfrey over Walker in the 3rd but think MLB is a bigger need given all we really have is DT and Caleb Johnson.

Chark and Gallup won't get that imo. Both injured and really only had one good year each.

Yeah again just stuck with the PFF projection. If they get less then they would be viable options but don't like that at 13-14m per.