Remydat Draft Thoughts

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
25 is old to not know a route tree tho

Luckily for him I don't think he will be running too many routes early in his career. Screens an slants should be his bread and butter....then the random slant and go

Ill be excited to finally see slants back in the playbook
I'm sure he knows the route tree. It's not rocket science. The knock on him was he wasn't asked to run a very diverse one and needs to be crisper and more deceptive with his route running. That can be taught. You just want to get this type player in open space and let him do his thing. Also has the speed to be a deep threat. Understandably not a pick that fans are going to be excited with but still one with a high ceiling.

The WR market just went crazy this off season so your best WRs disappear quickly on the first day. Then you have to find value where most others don't see it. Can see why the Bears would think this WR has a high ceiling.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I'm sure he knows the route tree. It's not rocket science. The knock on him was he wasn't asked to run a very diverse one and needs to be crisper and more deceptive with his route running. That can be taught. You just want to get this type player in open space and let him do his thing. Also has the speed to be a deep threat. Understandably not a pick that fans are going to be excited with but still one with a high ceiling.

The WR market just went crazy this off season so your best WRs disappear quickly on the first day. Then you have to find value where most others don't see it. Can see why the Bears would think this WR has a high ceiling.
Dude had 6 years to learn that shit though

Liked Posts:
5 immediate starters?

Dude, put down the bong.

In fairness he said one would be the punter so really only 4. The second rounders seem highly rated so definite starters. Just need 2 of the remaining 8 to stick. O-Line was atrocious last year and outside of Whitehair and Patrick the remaining spots are available for whoever can take them.

He’s probably not wrong, now obviously starting for the Bears is different from 90% of the NFL though.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Those highlights took 6 years that’s the problem. We aren’t getting a 25 year old ready to rock the nfl like when we drafted Kyle long. This guy is still developing.

With Lucas and Rainmann still on the board, the Bears select a 25 year old project WR with 1 year of success mainly against inferior opponents.

he posted 18 yards against Alabama.
he posted 44 yards against Georgia
he posted 31 yards against Pitt

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Who lol? Adrian Amos?

Chris Harris and Amos had good years for us. Jackson was an All Pro at one point.

Sorry but none of those guys can hold Mike Browns jock strap.

But Manning was a second round pick, thanks for proving my point. Jackson was a second round talent who fell because of injury. Gipson wasn’t drafted by the bears.

Edit: Conte was terrible, as was wright

Jackson was a 4th rounder because he was drafted in the 4th round.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
With Lucas and Rainmann still on the board, the Bears select a 25 year old project WR with 1 year of success mainly against inferior opponents.

he posted 18 yards against Alabama.
he posted 44 yards against Georgia
he posted 31 yards against Pitt
More than one way to look at it. Drafted a real good return man who can also fill a role at WR, potentially a greater role with some good scheming and coaching.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Also do those pining for VJJ to have a role as a YAC machine offense, just remember that Dazz Newsome was drafted last year as the same type of player (without the top end spend).
Dazz was a 5th and didn't appear to transition well. He was a slot possession projection and not a speedster. Every draft pick has a potential role but considering that the vast majority never fill it successfully and less so from the 5th round, even drafting a similar prospect the year following the other guy barely seeing the field is not a mistake. I also have some issue with considering them the same player.

Newsome
  • Height: 5’10"
  • Weight: 190 pounds
  • 40: 4.59 sec
1651424425702.png
Jones
*Height: 6.0
*Weight: 204
* 40: 4:31
1651424578289.png

Dazz was supposed to be a slot possession guy that could settle into or find space underneath. run slants to be a security blanket for his QB. I actually though he might help by doing that but he looked really lost early. Completely different player than Velus.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
“Needs to add finesse” is a lot different than VJJ who was “Only asked to run extremely basic routes” (nfl.com)

Umm that was not it. Said he needed to improve his footwork, was only average coming out of breaks, had no forward lean or vertical push in his routes.

And yes Deebo was a better prospect but he still only had 882 yards. He improved his route running in the NFL and like VJJ relied on his YAC ability at UT.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Since I did these a bit
back...
1651424956350.png

greg23

Liked Posts:
Time will tell on all this but what happened to:

"We need to do everything to help our Qb succeed"

Level 2/3 vet wr fa signings
A 25 year old 3rd round wr
One mediocre vet fa center
and
bunch of 5th/6th/7th round oline projects

Lots of hoping involved in this approach (dicks would be ripped if this was pace's offseason)

The skill position talent still looks to be bottom 5-10 in the nfl.....as does the oline.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
“Needs to add finesse” is a lot different than VJJ who was “Only asked to run extremely basic routes” (nfl.com)
Asked to only run basic routes is a LOT different than being unable to run more than basic routes.

He had a full week at the senior bowl where he was learning NFL route concepts and putting them into practice. He excelled in the actual game. And I’m sure Poles and staff chatted with him extensively to figure out if he could learn what they needed him to do before drafting him.

So go only by “what he was asked to do” at Tenn if you want. You’re just missing the bigger picture…

• Harold
Reactions: Myk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
May be VG or not but the type of guy that can still be useful as a gadget and returner if he doesn't develop one bit. That said, He's shown a lot of desire and willingness to work/improve so more likely to see some development.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Well he will be 29 when he is a FA. So he has a shorter time period where he is likely to be productive which has to factor in when assessing his overall potential.

With how much WRs are starting to cost, I think the age thing is overblown. A lot of teams are starting to let someone else do the overpay on the 2nd contract. If VJJ becomes a highly productive player and hits FA at age 29, it would still be a legit plan to let him walk, draft another guy, maybe get a comp pick. It would be a good problem to have. But that is very much putting the cart before the horse. First, he needs to turn into a highly productive player.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Yeah the only position where this is really an issue is QB where you want to draft a guy that gives you over a decade plus of franchise play.

I think the bigger issue is why did it take him so long to develop at Tennessee? Is he a slow learner?

He started at USC and I thought I read that he didn't really get much of an opportunity there. It happens. Between the transfer and COVID, he got extra time a lot of other guys normally didn't get to actually develop before he had to go into the draft.

Canth

Liked Posts:
25 is old to not know a route tree tho

Luckily for him I don't think he will be running too many routes early in his career. Screens an slants should be his bread and butter....then the random slant and go

Ill be excited to finally see slants back in the playbook

My comment there is a lot depends on coaching. How good were his college coaches at actually teaching it and holding people accountable for it?

IMO, that as much as anything else is going to be really interesting to see with the Bears. Eberflus and Poles have both mentioned multiple times that they valued teaching in the coaches that they brought onboard. With a draft like this, they are going to have plenty of opportunity to prove whether or not they can really teach and coach.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Also do those pining for VJJ to have a role as a YAC machine offense, just remember that Dazz Newsome was drafted last year as the same type of player (without the top end spend).

Yes your brackets explains the difference.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
With how much WRs are starting to cost, I think the age thing is overblown. A lot of teams are starting to let someone else do the overpay on the 2nd contract. If VJJ becomes a highly productive player and hits FA at age 29, it would still be a legit plan to let him walk, draft another guy, maybe get a comp pick. It would be a good problem to have. But that is very much putting the cart before the horse. First, he needs to turn into a highly productive player.
A positive is that age may work in our favor if we choose to give him a 2nd contract…

• Harold
Reactions: Myk