Remydat's Roster Evaluation

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
Only an idiot would argue if the Bears have the 31st or 32nd talent in the league
And yet, the overall talent isn't much different from last year when they won 6 games and were 27th in offense (PPG) and 22nd on defense (PPG). And that's with Mack and Robinson being only modest contributors.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Imma need that criteria that allows you to make these numbers.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The thing for everyone to remember is that pretty much all teams barring some of the elite teams that lost talent have all improved in the off season. The bears weren’t the only team to participate in FA or the draft, and most teams had more picks than the bears.

Sure we can look at the bears and point a few spots where they hopefully improved, secondary is the obvious bet. However the dl should be taking a big step back.

The question to be asking is did the bears improve more or less than the other teams in the league?

Coaching should be a huge upgrade and hopefully fields and others take steps forward. I think the lions had a great draft and I expect the bears to be fighting for last place, or sitting comfortably in that spot.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
The thing for everyone to remember is that pretty much all teams barring some of the elite teams that lost talent have all improved in the off season. The bears weren’t the only team to participate in FA or the draft, and most teams had more picks than the bears.

Sure we can look at the bears and point a few spots where they hopefully improved, secondary is the obvious bet. However the dl should be taking a big step back.

The question to be asking is did the bears improve more or less than the other teams in the league?

Coaching should be a huge upgrade and hopefully fields and others take steps forward. I think the lions had a great draft and I expect the bears to be fighting for last place, or sitting comfortably in that spot.
The Seahawks and falcons didn't improve

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I appreciate your effort and hope that you're right. I also wish I had you grading my papers in school.

Imma need that criteria that allows you to make these numbers.

Think you guys are misinterpreting the grades.

I also sort of equated to PFFs grades. So for example, Whitehair's overall grade was 66 which on a 10 point scale I just equated to 6.5. Peters was 77 which I equated to 7.5, Mustipher was 51.8 but I thought he really sucked so knocked him down to 4.5. Daniels was 71 and I thought he was a bit better than that so gave him 7.5 and Ifedi abd Borom were 61 or so at RT which I gave them 6.0.

On the PFF grading scale. Most guys are at 60 or above and anything below 6 is pretty bad.

A grade of 5 is not necessarily average. For example. As I noted PFF graded Mustipher at 51.8. Of players at C that played 50% of snaps ie 26 players, that grade would be 26 out of 26. At Center, the median was actually a grade of 66.

So in a ten point scale, anything below 6 is below average or poor while a grade between 6-7 is average to slightly above average. I didn't use PFF grades for all positions but I did borrow their grading scale for the most part. I stuck with them on the OL because OL doesn't have other stats to go off of. But for someone like Quinn, I assigned him a much higher grade than PFF owing to his actual production ie 18 sacks to me warranted a 9 grade while PFF only graded him at 70.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The Seahawks and falcons didn't improve
I think if you talk to those fan bases many would say they are in a rebuild and taking steps in the right direction.

Drew lock is not Russ but he’s a young guy that has some promise. They drafted potentially top OT in the class or close to it, they nabbed Kenneth walker who is a fantastic rb and should do great in their run heavy scheme. Am LB in the second as well, and another tackle in the 3rd round. Their secondary has some holes in it, they grabbed some late rounders that could fill. Especially considering seattle didn’t base an offense around Russ, how can you say they didn’t improve?? They also got assets back in that trade.

The falcons are a shit team, they were going nowhere with Ryan and they made steps to rebuild for the future. Mariota should be serviceable and they got a young athletic qb that could develop into something. They drafted the top WR in the draft so obviously they like him, and they add that to pitts, and Ridley and that should be pretty potent. They had 2 second round picks to go with it and I’m sure they are expecting them to fill holes, just like the bears are expecting their second round picks to do so.

How can you say these teams didn’t improve?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think if you talk to those fan bases many would say they are in a rebuild and taking steps in the right direction.

Drew lock is not Russ but he’s a young guy that has some promise. They drafted potentially top OT in the class or close to it, they nabbed Kenneth walker who is a fantastic rb and should do great in their run heavy scheme. Am LB in the second as well, and another tackle in the 3rd round. Their secondary has some holes in it, they grabbed some late rounders that could fill. Especially considering seattle didn’t base an offense around Russ, how can you say they didn’t improve?? They also got assets back in that trade.

The falcons are a shit team, they were going nowhere with Ryan and they made steps to rebuild for the future. Mariota should be serviceable and they got a young athletic qb that could develop into something. They drafted the top WR in the draft so obviously they like him, and they add that to pitts, and Ridley and that should be pretty potent. They had 2 second round picks to go with it and I’m sure they are expecting them to fill holes, just like the bears are expecting their second round picks to do so.

Drew Lock has no promise. Didn't read much else you wrote but you've obviously never seen him play

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Drew Lock is fucking terrible, he has less upside than trubisky. I like the T's they got, although Cross can't run block and they are going to be a run heavy team. Walker is probably 3rd string rb right now until Carson gets injured. Seattle defense is pretty bad.

Falcons defense is still terrible. Mariota is a huge step down from Ryan. They made the right move moving on from Ryan but they are worse without him. Ridley is suspended next year. I like that they added a weapon because they had nothing outside of Pitts, but im not the biggest London fan because he's slow as fuck

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

A grade of 5 is not necessarily average. For example. As I noted PFF graded Mustipher at 51.8. Of players at C that played 50% of snaps ie 26 players, that grade would be 26 out of 26. At Center, the median was actually a grade of 66.

So in a ten point scale, anything below 6 is below average or poor while a grade between 6-7 is average to slightly above average. I didn't use PFF grades for all positions but I did borrow their grading scale for the most part. I stuck with them on the OL because OL doesn't have other stats to go off of. But for someone like Quinn, I assigned him a much higher grade than PFF owing to his actual production ie 18 sacks to me warranted a 9 grade while PFF only graded him at 70.

Okay, knowing that scale makes it fair..

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

ActualAmpleBrocketdeer.webp

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

I've always been of the opinion that PFF is a very flawed system, but based on your posting history I know you value the data they give you. It's not worth going further.

mecha

Liked Posts:
the NFL's parity is strong. one year they might be contenders, the next year they might be cellar dwellers. and vice versa. I'm not saying the Bears are going to win the division, but until they actually play all this nonsensical bickering about how they're #32 is a total waste of time.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Drew Lock is fucking terrible, he has less upside than trubisky. I like the T's they got, although Cross can't run block and they are going to be a run heavy team. Walker is probably 3rd string rb right now until Carson gets injured. Seattle defense is pretty bad.

Falcons defense is still terrible. Mariota is a huge step down from Ryan. They made the right move moving on from Ryan but they are worse without him. Ridley is suspended next year. I like that they added a weapon because they had nothing outside of Pitts, but im not the biggest London fan because he's slow as fuck
Okay even if you don’t think either team improved through the draft, which is pretty comical, you went ahead and named 2 teams that lost HOF qbs. Not exactly proving much of a point here.