nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
OFFENSE
QB - Without a single addition or change in scheme I think Fields naturally gets better. He has the talent, he has the work ethic and I think he ultimately has the intelligence. So I think this easily goes from say a 4 last year to a solid 7.5 this year.

RB - I think this improves as they are incorporated more into the passing game, we focus on the run more and Herbert will improves as a 2nd year player. Ebner also adds value here. So I would say they were a 7.5 last year and go to an 8.

WR1 - I envision Mooney taking another step from a solid No 2 to a higher end No 2 or low end No 1. So I am saying he goes from a 7.5 last year to an 8.5.

WR2 - Typically this would be a huge downgrade from ARob to Pringle but the simple fact is ARob was not good and also injured last year with Pringle outproducing him. So I am going to grade this as a slight downgrade as I from say a 7 to a 6.

WR3-WR6 - Bryd and Godwin were underwhelming last year and I think some combination of VJJ, St Brown, Moore, Sharpe and Petis ends up offering more with VJJ having the highest potential to me. So all told, I would grade this an upgrade from a 4 to 5.5 or so.

TE/FB - I think the TE/FB room has more depth with Kmet, Shaun, Griffin, Blasingame, and Allen but still not sure there is a red zone threat as good as Graham was. Having said that, I think Kmet takes a bit more of a step up so I have this as an upgrade from say a 6 last yer to a 7.

LT - Peters was surprisingly good last year and I don't see Borom, Davenport or Jones matching him. Having said that I think we will be passable here with one of those guys emerging so I would view this as a downgrade from 7.5 to about 6.5.

LG - Whitehair seems old as fuck but he is still only going to be 30 next year. He is no longer worth his contract IMO but the new scheme fits him better and so I think he holds steady overall with a 6.5 grade.

C - Mustipher was terrible last year and based on the metrics Patrick was not much better. Having said that, I think he will stabilize the C position and help with the overall cohesiveness of the OL as he is a better fit for the new scheme than Mustipher was for the old one. So I would consider this an upgrade from a 4.5 to a 6.5.

RG - This is a bit of an unknown right now with Daniels being solid for us last year with a 7.5. I am assuming Thomas emerges as a rookie to take this spot. Expecting him to provide average line play at 5 but this is the one spot we could stand to upgrade before the season.

RT - Think Jenkins will have a solid season here and thus project his as an upgrade from what Ifedi, Borom and Jenkins provided last year in limited action. Thus I have this going from a 6 to a 7.

So all in I think the improvement at QB is +3.5, RB +0.5, WR +2, TE + 1 and OL -0.5. So overall the offense is net +6.5. The reality is the improvement on O comes from us having a lot of young guys that I think will get better as Fields, Jenkins, Borom, Herbert feel like guys that will take a huge leap in year 2. Meanwhile, Mooney and Kmet will take huge steps in their 3rd year and Monty is steady at RB.
I think this is fair.

The only one I'm taking exception to is TE. I don't have enough faith in Kmet to take enough of a step up to be a red zone threat.

Like Jesper Horsted was.

Cc: @Grimson @HeHateMe

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I've always been of the opinion that PFF is a very flawed system, but based on your posting history I know you value the data they give you. It's not worth going further.

It is definitely a flawed system but not sure there would be a better one to use for an exercise like this particularly for positions with no real objective stats like OL.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
So there has obviously been a lot of talk about the Bears roster and whether we did enough for Fields. So I figured I would go through all the changes made and grade them from 1 to 10. Let's start with the defense. Note that while the Bears were a 3-4 in base they largely played nickel 75% of the time. So I discuss the DL in the context of Edge players (ie 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DEs) and IDL (ie 3-4 DEs and 4-3 DTs). Also won't be discussing SAM but rather the nickel back.

RE - Quinn was a 9 last year. He is one year older and don't think he replicates that year but I also think he stays fresher and we have a better backup in one of Gipson/Muhammed/Robinson so I would say this is about a 7.5 this year.

NT - Big change is the loss of Goldman but he was worse than Blackson and Tonga last year. So removing Goldman and replacing him with Blackson/Tonga to go with Tonga improving his 2nd year and I would say this goes from a 5 last year to a 6.5.

3T - This was a combination of Hicks and Nichols last year and now will be primarily Jones and Edwards. I think the run D improves but overall Hicks and Nichols provided more pass rush. So I would say this goes from a 7 last year to about a 5 this year.

LE - This was obviously Mack and Gipson last year but bear in mind, it was only 7 games of Mack. Now it will be one of Gipson/Muhammad with Robinson also in the mix. In any event whatever gains Gipson has in his thread year and improvements in the the rotation doesn't offset what Mack brought to the table in limited snaps. So I would say this has gone from an 8 to say 6.5 this year.

WLB - Think this is where Quan ends up and I think Quan is better suited to playing WLB in a 4-3 vs a ILB in a 3-4 as this D is tailor made for his skill set in terms of strengths and weakness. Playing WLB will allow him to remain unblocked more often. So I this him going from a 7.5 last year to 8.5

MLB - Morrow is a better option as the 2nd off ball LB when compared to Ogletree. He fits this D better and has the range to excel in coverage as well as to come up and hit in the run game. So I think this goes from 5 last year to a 7.

Nickel - Think this has more depth and options as Shelly, Young, Graham, Vildor are much better options than last year particularly Young and Graham in his 2nd year. We also have several S that can also play nickel in Jackson, Brisker, Hicks as well as Gordon who can move inside from CB. So I would say this has gone from say a 4.5 last year to a 7 IMO.

CB1 - Johnson was a bit inconsistent last year so I had him at around a 7. I think this year with help on the other side and the pressure the coaches put on him from a HITS standpoint, he becomes more consistent and grades out around an 8.

CB2 - 2nd CB was blackhole so this is a massive improvement. I think Gordon will be a solid 6.5-7 grade and last year we got like a 2-3 grade out of this position. This is the single greatest jump on the D.

FS - Jackson was about a 5.5 last year but I think with a clean slate and increased focus on HITS he ends up around a 6.5 this year.

SS - Gipson and DHC were adequate at around 5 or so last year but I think Brisker is a solid 7 as a rookie.

So put that all together and the DL is at -3.5, the off ball LBs are at +3, CBs and Nickel are +7.5 and Safeties are +3. So overall I see this as an upgrade of +10. The DL has regressed a bit but the improvements in the secondary will more than make up for it. We were that bad particularly at 2nd CB and the prospects we selected in Gordon and Brisker are that good IMO.
Nice Job! This was a good idea and showed a lot of hard work. Keep it up and don't worry about the trolls aping you by making their own threads. It's all they have.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How about this exercise - did the rest of the teams in the NFC north improve more or less than the bears?

Hard to say but I think there is a law of diminishing returns at play. Pack was already a good team so adding a Walker or Wyatt doesnt move the needle much when you factor in the loss of Adams.

A team on the lower end gets a bigger bump from adding a good player.

greg23

Liked Posts:
The good news for the Bears???

One third of the leauge is pretty bad; and we play a bunch of them this year!!!!

Bears
Lions
Seattle
Wash
NYG
Atl
Car
Jets
Jags
Texans

Bust

Liked Posts:
The good news for the Bears???

One third of the leauge is pretty bad; and we play a bunch of them this year!!!!

Bears
Lions
Seattle
Wash
NYG
Atl
Car
Jets
Jags
Texans

That is a lot of teams with new coaching staffs and young blood qb's.

It's good test to see how justin and the bears fare against same level standard <all scrub rebuild teams with young qb's>

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I think if you talk to those fan bases many would say they are in a rebuild and taking steps in the right direction.

Drew lock is not Russ but he’s a young guy that has some promise. They drafted potentially top OT in the class or close to it, they nabbed Kenneth walker who is a fantastic rb and should do great in their run heavy scheme. Am LB in the second as well, and another tackle in the 3rd round. Their secondary has some holes in it, they grabbed some late rounders that could fill. Especially considering seattle didn’t base an offense around Russ, how can you say they didn’t improve?? They also got assets back in that trade.

The falcons are a shit team, they were going nowhere with Ryan and they made steps to rebuild for the future. Mariota should be serviceable and they got a young athletic qb that could develop into something. They drafted the top WR in the draft so obviously they like him, and they add that to pitts, and Ridley and that should be pretty potent. They had 2 second round picks to go with it and I’m sure they are expecting them to fill holes, just like the bears are expecting their second round picks to do so.

How can you say these teams didn’t improve?
:jonesy:

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
So how much did the Bears improve last year from this year?????

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
How is it not proving a point? You said every team improves. Teams that lost HOF qbs did not in fact improve. The draft did make them better from what their current roster was as every teams draft should do. But they still got worse from last season by getting significantly worse at the most important position
@SugarWalls I had to look back to see what/who I was talking about here. Definitely not a good look lol

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So how much did the Bears improve last year from this year?????

Quite a bit. Fields improved and coaching is much better. We were 1-7 in one score games. This despite a fuck ton of injuries and Poles trading away our best player on D.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Quite a bit. Fields improved and coaching is much better. We were 1-7 in one score games. This despite a fuck ton of injuries and Poles trading away our best player on D.
Bears went from 6 wins to 3, and the number 1 overall pick in the draft. They lost to the texans. You are attempting to argue that the factually worst team in the league is better than last years 6 win team?

Last edited:

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
OFFENSE
QB - Without a single addition or change in scheme I think Fields naturally gets better. He has the talent, he has the work ethic and I think he ultimately has the intelligence. So I think this easily goes from say a 4 last year to a solid 7.5 this year.

RB - I think this improves as they are incorporated more into the passing game, we focus on the run more and Herbert will improves as a 2nd year player. Ebner also adds value here. So I would say they were a 7.5 last year and go to an 8.

WR1 - I envision Mooney taking another step from a solid No 2 to a higher end No 2 or low end No 1. So I am saying he goes from a 7.5 last year to an 8.5.

WR2 - Typically this would be a huge downgrade from ARob to Pringle but the simple fact is ARob was not good and also injured last year with Pringle outproducing him. So I am going to grade this as a slight downgrade as I from say a 7 to a 6.

WR3-WR6 - Bryd and Godwin were underwhelming last year and I think some combination of VJJ, St Brown, Moore, Sharpe and Petis ends up offering more with VJJ having the highest potential to me. So all told, I would grade this an upgrade from a 4 to 5.5 or so.

TE/FB - I think the TE/FB room has more depth with Kmet, Shaun, Griffin, Blasingame, and Allen but still not sure there is a red zone threat as good as Graham was. Having said that, I think Kmet takes a bit more of a step up so I have this as an upgrade from say a 6 last yer to a 7.

LT - Peters was surprisingly good last year and I don't see Borom, Davenport or Jones matching him. Having said that I think we will be passable here with one of those guys emerging so I would view this as a downgrade from 7.5 to about 6.5.

LG - Whitehair seems old as fuck but he is still only going to be 30 next year. He is no longer worth his contract IMO but the new scheme fits him better and so I think he holds steady overall with a 6.5 grade.

C - Mustipher was terrible last year and based on the metrics Patrick was not much better. Having said that, I think he will stabilize the C position and help with the overall cohesiveness of the OL as he is a better fit for the new scheme than Mustipher was for the old one. So I would consider this an upgrade from a 4.5 to a 6.5.

RG - This is a bit of an unknown right now with Daniels being solid for us last year with a 7.5. I am assuming Thomas emerges as a rookie to take this spot. Expecting him to provide below average to average line play at 5 but this is the one spot we could stand to upgrade before the season.

RT - Think Jenkins will have a solid season here and thus project his as an upgrade from what Ifedi, Borom and Jenkins provided last year in limited action. Thus I have this going from a 6 to a 7.

So all in I think the improvement at QB is +3.5, RB +0.5, WR +2, TE + 1 and OL -0.5. So overall the offense is net +6.5. The reality is the improvement on O comes from us having a lot of young guys that I think will get better as Fields, Jenkins, Borom, Herbert feel like guys that will take a huge leap in year 2. Meanwhile, Mooney and Kmet will take huge steps in their 3rd year and Monty is steady at RB.

Please go point by point and show me you can put the subjectivity aside and tell us you were wrong on almost every single one of these points.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Please go point by point and show me you can put the subjectivity aside and tell us you were wrong on almost every single one of these points.
I don't think he reads your posts. ?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bears went from 6 wins to 3, and the number 1 overall pick in the draft. They lost to the texans. You are attempting to argue that the factually worst team in the league is better than last years 6 win team?
They didn’t lose to the Texans.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Me fine with some small upgrades to scores at OL but I’m curious about this 1 to 10 scale.

I thought the OL was well below average and iirc they allowed the leagues most sacks. If you want to put some of that on fields then fine, but I don’t see how they graded out before the upgrades. I feel like they should all be below 5 besides maybe peters and Daniels.

Any improvements by the line will mostly need to be through scheme, which I realize you accounted for, but this is easily a bottom 5-10 unit unless some young guys really outplay expectations.
Didn't the bears rely upon moving the pocket or just calling runs simply because they didn't trust the line to block, the WR's to create separation, and Fields to get rid of the ball on time?

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I would. The Nagy team had much better players, and still played pathetic. This years squad played their asses off. A bad roster and a bunch of bad fortune helped. A few bounces and fumbles from being a 7-8 win team.

Despite this awful record this year, I am more optimistic about the team now than I was after Pace and Nagy’s great 6-win season.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Did someone say Drew Lock is a guy that has shown promise prior to this year? He had shown zero fucking promise prior to this season. He’s awful. Another Missouri bum QB