Replica 'Old School' Units

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I learned lastnight my damn adapter for my SNES vanished despite my packing of each unit with everything into its own box. Obviously, either I fucked up or it was broke. I started looking on amazon and to my delight was units that play both NES and SNES. Reviews are to say, kinda mixed. The most common complaint is sound quality is a bit off on the NES side. So Im wondering if anyone here has seen these, used em, or heard about them. 40 bucks isnt a bad price to play my old games.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I dabbled in the knock off consoles for a bit, then I just said, fuck it, and built an EMU HTPC 6 years ago.

The sound was fine for me, but the games would freeze, or saves were being made right. It got pretty annoying. I'm not sure how advanced the knockoffs have gotten, but I am reminded that the knockoff market runs anonymously to some extent, so they have little incentive to make a perfect product.

BTW, most universal adapters that do 9V 850mA, will work. That is the SNES standard.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I thought of a new adapter as well. But the unit has sat for many years and thinking if it doesnt work, best to figure an alternative option. Plus, the connection point on the unit is broke. The wire is normally inside a plastic 'tube' which the adapter connects to, on my unit, that 'tube' is gone and the two wires are there. I do vaguely remember this from yrs backs, and it still worked rather fine despite the issue. Still, best to have a backup plan lol

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
If you ever get into some kind of hardcore modding, you could recycle your unit.

I have been working on a schematic to take an old DMG01(original gameboy) and retrofit a modern board and screen for the guts, a better speaker, keep the same nintendo buttons, but upgrade the keyswitches. It would essentially be a nostalgic portable gaming device that is super power efficient. I'm just torn between using a sequence of eZ80 chips for native processing instructions, or if I want to emulate on another platform.

With a SNES or NES shell, you can do a lot more, because you'll obviously have space to work with.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Never attempted shit like that, so I'd end up destroying everything lol.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I tried. ;)

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I bought a unit called the FC Twin about three years ago for 50 bucks. It's been great to play SNES and NES games on. Sound quality is pretty good. The only thing I really don't like is the crappy controllers that came with it. I prefer to use the original SNES controller. What really sucks is stretching the screen on my 51'' TV.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, the unit I saw was just titled Retro-Bit Retro Duo on amazon. 40 bucks aint bad imo. When I have time, I'll see if I can find the unit you said.