Report: Bears offer OC job to Packers QB coach Luke Getsy

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
run and shoot said:

I addressed your "He's been a coach for 13 years." statement and read the article.

You're avoiding the question
Tell me why he was the most qualified candidate for OC of the ppl we interviewed. (let me know if u need names. But I'm sure u already know).

Go ahead and list a few names of the ppl we interviewed. Sean McVey wasn't one of them.

I'm not avoiding the question. I cannot possibly answer it. Neither can you. If you define qualifications as nothing but experience then no, but that is only one element. And while he hasn't run his own offense, he has plenty of coaching experience. Ability to work with others, intelligence, communication, organization... there are many, many factors that go into determining wether or not a candidate is qualified.

All I know is Eberflus wanted him, and he got him. There's no indication they couldn't get more "qualified" candidates. They got their guy. Wether or not it works out is completely unknowable at this point. Choosing an o.c. with vast experience in calling plays and running an offense in no way guarantees success.
Nothing in life is "guaranteed"....very few things. You look at giving ones self the best chance to be successful vs hoping and leaving things to chance. One makes choices based on what brings ya closer to the knowable vs the "unknowable"

We interviewed ppl with proven success in the areas u mentioned. We selected someone who didn't measure up vs the others interviewed who's names u don't want to mention. Proven Qb development experience, play calling experience,
building a offense around Fields, over seeing a unit ( are what was needed).

If u think we have what was needed in the said hired OC vs what we interviewed. Or if u find solace in the the "unknowable", Then there's nothing left to say.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
From your article: " Getsy was then hired by his old coach Joe Moorhead to be his Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers coach at Mississippi State in 2018. That season, the offense just from 100th to 20th in OFEI and from 39th to 27th in OF+. However, Joe Moorhead did call the plays for the offense at Mississippi State."

Somebody else called plays at Miss, St. I posted info on that the other day. You mentioned he interviewed for the Broncos head coaching job. Well Josh McCown interviewed for the Texans HC job ( he never coached at the pro or college level)
Tell me why he was the most qualified candidate for OC of the ppl we interviewed. (let me know if u need names. But I'm sure u already know).
The Texans are a religious organization masquerading as a professional football team. That is why Josh McCown got interviewed.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:

If this got posted and I missed it- I apologize...but what a great article by Fishbain. Its a paywall for The Athletic, but some great info that goes well beyond just grabbing someone from the Packers organization (I mean that helps) but it sounds as if he'll fit Fields like a glove.

Going back almost 5 years ago, Joe Moorhead recruited the #1 recruit in the country, Justin Fields to Penn State. Moorhead was the OC/QB Coach at Penn State and Fields withdrew his commitment feeling Moorhead would eventually leave. (He was right as Moorhead left to be the Head Coach at Mississippi State months later).

Moorehead coached Getsy at Akron back in '05, while also coaching with him at Akron and MSU as well. He had a few quotes, which were intriguing:

“This sounds corny,” Moorhead said, “but it’s kind of a match made in heaven for Justin’s skill set.”

“RPO-based run game that takes advantage of a quarterback’s running skill set, combining that with a West Coast system that takes a ton of shots down the field.”

That's all I'll share for now, but I believe Eberflus really has a plan in identifying how they can make Fields successful. This is far different from Lovie just hearing about Terry Shea years ago being the next big OC candidate with zero direction. This feels very personalized and I'm very excited about it.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
run and shoot said:

I addressed your "He's been a coach for 13 years." statement and read the article.

Go ahead and list a few names of the ppl we interviewed. Sean McVey wasn't one of them.

Nothing in life is "guaranteed"....very few things. You look at giving ones self the best chance to be successful vs hoping and leaving things to chance. One makes choices based on what brings ya closer to the knowable vs the "unknowable"

We interviewed ppl with proven success in the areas u mentioned. We selected someone who didn't measure up vs the others interviewed who's names u don't want to mention. Proven Qb development experience, play calling experience,
building a offense around Fields, over seeing a unit ( are what was needed).

If u think we have what was needed in the said hired OC vs what we interviewed. Or if u find solace in the the "unknowable", Then there's nothing left to say.

Why was Pep Hamilton fired midway through his 3rd season as OC? Why was their offense terrible that year? Why hasn't he been an offensive coordinator since? I means he's very qualified, right? You'd think with the countless o.c. jobs that have been available since 2015 he'd have been hired to do the job again, right? Have you considered that he wasn't a good offensive coordinator? That Andrew Luck was playing the worst football of his career? And he was much better the following two seasons?

This will be my last comment on this since you obviously don't read what I write. I don't take solace in the unknowable, I'm just completely comfortable reserving judgement until I see results. None of us have any idea who the most qualified candidate was. Qualifications are not simply past work. Sometimes(often, actually) the most qualified person has zero experience ever doing the job they are hired for.

Every great offensive coordinator was, at some point, an inexperienced, first time o.c. Which seems obvious but apparently isn't?

If you feel the need to be up in arms over superficial observations about things you know nothing about, go for it. Pep Hamilton seems like maybe he's a better QB coach then he is an o.c. I don't know. You don't know. I'm not going to bash or praise a move I have no way of judging at this point.

46plank

Liked Posts:
I heard on the Score today that Rodgers wanted Getsy for OC

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Why was Pep Hamilton fired midway through his 3rd season as OC? Why was their offense terrible that year? Why hasn't he been an offensive coordinator since? I means he's very qualified, right? You'd think with the countless o.c. jobs that have been available since 2015 he'd have been hired to do the job again, right? Have you considered that he wasn't a good offensive coordinator? That Andrew Luck was playing the worst football of his career? And he was much better the following two seasons?
Pep worked with Luck going back to Stanford. Most of what Luck had to deal with was a perennial poor OL.
Why did he retire early? He was beat up.

You said.....Why hasn't he been an offensive coordinator since? I means he's very qualified, right?
Because the most qualified don't get hired.....just look around i.e. Caldwell ( the Lions hadn't been in the playoffs for how many yrs prior to Jim's arrival?) The fact is....the Lions haven't done nothing since ? I'm not gonna bother with discussing his accomplishments with the Ravens and Colts.

This will be my last comment on this since you obviously don't read what I write. I don't take solace in the unknowable, I'm just completely comfortable reserving judgement until I see results. None of us have any idea who the most qualified candidate was. Qualifications are not simply past work. Sometimes(often, actually) the most qualified person has zero experience ever doing the job they are hired for.

Every great offensive coordinator was, at some point, an inexperienced, first time o.c. Which seems obvious but apparently isn't?

If you feel the need to be up in arms over superficial observations about things you know nothing about, go for it. Pep Hamilton seems like maybe he's a better QB coach then he is an o.c. I don't know. You don't know. I'm not going to bash or praise a move I have no way of judging at this point.
I did read what u said and it's filled with "maybes", "we don't knows", "Sometimes times this or that", "no way to guarantee success." , "i can't possibly make that evaluation", "How could we possibly knows" .

I would have rather u said in the beginning that u didn't know enough to have the discussion. While not speaking for me.
I would have said ok no problem.

Pep has developed good pro Qb's. He's been a GM-HC in the XFL. If u think getsy is the best, most qualified over Pep....then u have a right to your opinion.

Bearey Palpatine

Liked Posts:

If this got posted and I missed it- I apologize...but what a great article by Fishbain. Its a paywall for The Athletic, but some great info that goes well beyond just grabbing someone from the Packers organization (I mean that helps) but it sounds as if he'll fit Fields like a glove.

Going back almost 5 years ago, Joe Moorhead recruited the #1 recruit in the country, Justin Fields to Penn State. Moorhead was the OC/QB Coach at Penn State and Fields withdrew his commitment feeling Moorhead would eventually leave. (He was right as Moorhead left to be the Head Coach at Mississippi State months later).

Moorehead coached Getsy at Akron back in '05, while also coaching with him at Akron and MSU as well. He had a few quotes, which were intriguing:

“This sounds corny,” Moorhead said, “but it’s kind of a match made in heaven for Justin’s skill set.”

“RPO-based run game that takes advantage of a quarterback’s running skill set, combining that with a West Coast system that takes a ton of shots down the field.”

That's all I'll share for now, but I believe Eberflus really has a plan in identifying how they can make Fields successful. This is far different from Lovie just hearing about Terry Shea years ago being the next big OC candidate with zero direction. This feels very personalized and I'm very excited about it.
Reading this makes me thing this is the reason why Getsy was Eberfluss' guy. He saw his background in the Moorhead offense, a scheme Justin liked so much that he committed to Penn State only to leave when said offense would no longer be ran there, and governed it would match up with his current QB's skill set. Even though no one, outside of PukeGreen Bay, has heard of him ME looked at potential skill sets and how they match up with each other. Putting Fields into an offense that pairs the Moorhead passing attack with the Shanahan Running Zone attack can, in theory, create a monster O-Unit that will shred defenses and turn the Bears into an offensive beast!

Last edited:

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reading this makes me thing this is the reason why Getsy was Eberfluss' guy. He saw his background in the Moorhead offense, a scheme Justin liked so much that he committed to Penn State only to leave when said offense would no longer be ran there, and governed it would match up with his current QB's skill set. Even though no one, outside of PukeGreen Bay, has heard of him ME looked at potential skill sets and how they match up with each other. Putting Fields into an offense that pairs the Moorhead passing attack with the Shanahan Running Zone attack can, in theory, create a monster O-Unit that will shred defenses and turn the Bears into an offensive beast!

This may have been why Eberflus got the job over Quinn. Who really knows, but when you can appeal to to personal relationships of the young QB in the organization as well articulating scheme fit and how it'll work....that had to have been extremely appealing to Poles.

Again speculation on my part- but its intriguing to say the least.

Bearey Palpatine

Liked Posts:
Coaching theory from the varied branches of Getsy's coaching trees; Shanahan, Lafleur, & McVay's rumbling running attacks and Moorehead's aerial assault.

Throughout the video Coach T uses game tape from the Rams, 49ers, and ugh, Fudgepackers to show what Luke may bring to the field come game day.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pep worked with Luck going back to Stanford. Most of what Luck had to deal with was a perennial poor OL.

You said.....Why hasn't he been an offensive coordinator since? I means he's very qualified, right?
Because the most qualified don't get hired.....just look around i.e. Caldwell ( the Lions hadn't been in the playoffs for how many yrs prior to Jim's arrival?) The fact is....the Lions haven't done nothing since? I'm not gonna bother with discussing his accomplishments with the Ravens and Colts.

I did read what u said and it's filled with "maybes", "we don't knows", "Sometimes times this or that", "no way to guarantee success." , "i can't possibly make that evaluation", "How could we possibly knows" .

I would have rather u said in the beginning that u didn't know enough to have the discussion. While not speaking for me.

Pep has developed good pro Qb's. He's been a GM-HC in the XFL. If u think getsy is the best, most qualified over Pep....then u have a right to your opinion.

Who said he was the 'most' qualified? You act like OC experience is the only criteria. He obviously got hired because he is white. :oprah2:

If Pep was smart, he would have come to the interview in proper attire.

RealConcreteAmericanratsnake-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Because the most qualified don't get hired.....just look around i.e. Caldwell ( the Lions hadn't been in the playoffs for how many yrs prior to Jim's arrival?) The fact is....the Lions haven't done nothing since? I'm not gonna bother with discussing his accomplishments with the Ravens and Colts.

Who said he was the 'most' qualified? You act like OC experience is the only criteria. He obviously got hired because he is white. :oprah2:

If Pep was smart, he would have come to the interview in proper attire.

RealConcreteAmericanratsnake-size_restricted.gif

"in proper attire." u say

LOL....had Pep & Jim "dressed like Eddie Murphy" perhaps things would go different in these interviews. ? ?

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
"in proper attire." u say

LOL....had Pep & Jim "dressed like Pryor" perhaps things would go different in these interviews. ? ?
Yah, you probably believe that crap. So, do you think the McCaskeys and/or Poles are anti Pep and Frazier? That they were interviewed for some kind of quota fulfillment? Stop dancing and say what you mean.

Albert Breer :"OWNER GEORGE MCCASKEY IS VERY INVOLVED IN THE LEAGUE’S DIVERSITY EFFORTS OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS, AND THAT HAS BEEN PART OF AN EFFORT NOT JUST TO GET TEAMS TO LOOK AT DIVERSE CANDIDATES BUT ALSO TO CONVINCE THEM TO RUN TRULY OPEN PROCESSES THAT AREN’T JUST FOCUSED ON PREDETERMINED TYPES OF CANDIDATES.”

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can't believe run & shoot is still talking about Pep Hamilton.

Christ, get over it.
As Lovie's OC, he's doomed, LOL. That said, I though Hamilton was a viable candidate but Jesus, so is the guy we got and obviously our staffs 1st choice. Getsy was assured an OC position before taking this one.

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
As Lovie's OC, he's doomed, LOL.
If Jim Caldwell were hired, I'd say yes, bring over Pep and then you can think about grooming him for HC. Under a defensive coach, I just don't think it's a good idea.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Jim Caldwell were hired, I'd say yes, bring over Pep and then you can think about grooming him for HC. Under a defensive coach, I just don't think it's a good idea.
I really don't know at this point but it's so moot. Pep's last OC gig got him fired mid season in 2015 and it's not like he's had a bunch of OC offers since.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yah, you probably believe that crap. So, do you think the McCaskeys and/or Poles are anti Pep and Frazier? That they were interviewed for some kind of quota fulfillment? Stop dancing and say what you mean.

Albert Breer :"OWNER GEORGE MCCASKEY IS VERY INVOLVED IN THE LEAGUE’S DIVERSITY EFFORTS OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS, AND THAT HAS BEEN PART OF AN EFFORT NOT JUST TO GET TEAMS TO LOOK AT DIVERSE CANDIDATES BUT ALSO TO CONVINCE THEM TO RUN TRULY OPEN PROCESSES THAT AREN’T JUST FOCUSED ON PREDETERMINED TYPES OF CANDIDATES.”
Link the above Albert Breer quote

Funny how these conversations don't have to take place about the NBA
The Bears have been around over 100 yrs. Now....talk about so called "DIVERSITY EFFORTS " in hiring for decision making roles during that time period.