Report: Blackhawks close to acquiring Marc Andre Fleury

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Well idk what it’s gonna take for McCabe, but the Hawks are working with 2.6 cap right now and no Hagel and Nylander signed

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, they can always make up some new science medical ailment if getting an elite defenseman and vezina winning goalie isn’t enough.

Poutingmus vaginafaceus ?

Did anybody else hear that the Hawks got rid of that trash Bustvist yet?

Creme
I used to wonder why a few guys gave you such a hard time.....no longer.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I used to wonder why a few guys gave you such a hard time.....no longer.
It’s just a message board.

I really care less who says what.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Hawks just signed JarJar off the oilers

looks like they actually are going goon squad.

im loving this

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Total upgrade.

Flower is as legit as it comes.

Hawks are contenders again and thank god that trash Bustvist is off this team.

Stan found the cure for Toews new science medical condition, proven elite players
No they aren't.

They have maybe a top line and maybe part of a second line, and a single top D-man. Beyond that the lineup is very, very shallow with players slotted in roles they can't play. Murph is a 5 at best and is tasked with playing a 2-3.

The 'hawks as-constructed right now might be a playoff team, but in the playoffs they'll likely get pounded like an anus in the vicinity of Peter North.
I remember literally saying the same thing when Stan got Lehner, lol. And I think you liked that move at the time, but maybe I'm wrong.

I guess the difference in my thinking here is that, at least back then, they already had Crow. Fleury makes a ton but the tandem with Lankinen won't cost you 11-12 million like it did back then, and you actually have a goalie now in Lankinen that needs the best mentor available, which is Fleury by a long shot. That's why I don't mind a move like this now.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again: even on a rebuilding team, you need at least one dependable goalie. You couldn't roll with Lanks/Subban for an entire 82 game season. I know it's easy for fans to say, "yes you could, go 0-82" but that's obviously not realistic for any GM. Even on rebuilding teams, you have to stay somewhat competitive.
I liked the Lehner trade on the single caveat that we would end up sighing Lehner to take over the reins as #1 from Crawford. That didn't happen, so the move was a major, major bust in retrospect--especially parlaying a Vezina-finalist in Lehner for Subban, who on the career is below .900. Lehner should have been the guy for a couple of years while Lanks got his feet wet, or they should have nixed Lehner if they didn't think they could re-sign him and let him get mentored by Crawford.

The issue with this trade is that it's highly unlikely MAF is going to be the guy for much longer--assuming he doesn't retire. It is basically pushing back Lankinen's development unless the Stan actually wants to go for it, and IMHO that's a dumb move given how shallow the depth of the team is beyond Jones, Debrincat, and the remaining aging core + MAF.

Looking at the free agency roster, Jones, Dubnyk, & Schneider were all avaliable. We could have also tried prying a netminder from Dallas who could have acted as a mentor for Lanks.

I'm not 100% against the move for MAF, but if this is supposed to be a rebuild there were other options out there that would have given us better cap flexibility and would have been a suitable mentor. After all Crawford had Turco and Emery. If we're going for it MaF is as good as anyone or better who is still out there, but then the 'hawks need to at least make the final 4 for Stan to keep his job, if not win the cup because there isn't going to be another shot at this.

Granada

Liked Posts:
No they aren't.

They have maybe a top line and maybe part of a second line, and a single top D-man. Beyond that the lineup is very, very shallow with players slotted in roles they can't play. Murph is a 5 at best and is tasked with playing a 2-3.

The 'hawks as-constructed right now might be a playoff team, but in the playoffs they'll likely get pounded like an anus in the vicinity of Peter North.

I liked the Lehner trade on the single caveat that we would end up sighing Lehner to take over the reins as #1 from Crawford. That didn't happen, so the move was a major, major bust in retrospect--especially parlaying a Vezina-finalist in Lehner for Subban, who on the career is below .900. Lehner should have been the guy for a couple of years while Lanks got his feet wet, or they should have nixed Lehner if they didn't think they could re-sign him and let him get mentored by Crawford.

The issue with this trade is that it's highly unlikely MAF is going to be the guy for much longer--assuming he doesn't retire. It is basically pushing back Lankinen's development unless the Stan actually wants to go for it, and IMHO that's a dumb move given how shallow the depth of the team is beyond Jones, Debrincat, and the remaining aging core + MAF.

Looking at the free agency roster, Jones, Dubnyk, & Schneider were all avaliable. We could have also tried prying a netminder from Dallas who could have acted as a mentor for Lanks.

I'm not 100% against the move for MAF, but if this is supposed to be a rebuild there were other options out there that would have given us better cap flexibility and would have been a suitable mentor. After all Crawford had Turco and Emery. If we're going for it MaF is as good as anyone or better who is still out there, but then the 'hawks need to at least make the final 4 for Stan to keep his job, if not win the cup because there isn't going to be another shot at this.

I'd disagree that Fleury pushes Lankinen's development back. Few goalies in the league, if any, develop strictly as a first-string goalie -- the majority develop in backup roles. My point is, Lankinen doesn't need to develop as strictly the #1 in order to develop; and actually, pushing him as a #1 -- before he's actually ready -- may do more harm than good in his development, particularly considering with how he finished off last year. He played well during a middle stretch last year, but that isn't enough for me to proclaim that he is indeed ready for the starting role next year.

I knew the Hawks would be unable to re-sign Lehner. That move was disastrous from the jump. At least with MAF, we wouldn't want him long term anyway. Trading for a goalie -- especially one whose term you don't need to worry about -- was the better option as opposed to free agency. You might as well get the best mentor you can. Particularly from a mentor standpoint, Devan Dubnyk, etc. would have been no better than Cam Ward.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Yes, they are.

I am the first to criticize Blowman, but he’s done very good so far.

Jones and McCabe have already played together and won a gold medal. Murphy dropping to the second pairing puts him in a better position to make an actual impact then being relied upon to be the anchor of the D when he’s clearly not.

Johnson over Suter is an upgrade. If Toews comes back that’s a win. You get rid of Kampf and gain an elite PKer in jarjar.

Throw in Flower? Come on, bruh

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Okay.....right in the middle of the slowest rebuild since the Chicago Bulls.....idiot Bowman decides to go for it. He's decided to set this team back a decade and for one reason. He's trying to wring out all he can from Kane and Toews. Instead of the intelligent move, the bold move, the creative move of trying to move at least Kane for a boatload of assets.....he tries to go for it one more time. Sure, they might contend for a playoff slot....but you don't get very far in the playoffs with mediocre to bad defensemen and borderline goaltending. You sure as hell don't win a Cup with that.

But the biggest question is.....what does our genius GM have in mind when Kane and Toews' contracts run out in a couple years? They'll be what 35? Extensions? LOL More likely they walk and the Hawks get zero in return.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes, they are.

Jones and McCabe have already played together and won a gold medal. Murphy dropping to the second pairing puts him in a better position to make an actual impact then being relied upon to be the anchor of the D when he’s clearly not.

Johnson over Suter is an upgrade. If Toews comes back that’s a win. You get rid of Kampf and gain an elite PKer in jarjar.

Maybe in an EA game.

Are we expecting Jones and McCabe to run 30 minutes per game and take all of the toughest assignments, because that's what will be required of them. While the kids aren't really bad they haven't really been that good or reliable in game situations, yet. Plus we got Calvin "Danny Richmond" DeHaan stinking up the joint back there unless we manage to move him. That is not a solid D--that's a very shallow D which can be exploited--especially 2nd and 3rd pairings if Murph has to babysit.

Meanwhile, up front beyond Toews no one pegged as a center is over 50% at the dot. Dach has an injury history. Strome and Johnson have 3rd line numbers. Toews, Kane, Debrincat, and Koob cannot have a bad game or be pinned down by the opposition if the 'hawks have any chance of winning a game on O, because no one else has any reliable offense. Even if Hagel resigns and we get better energy guys for him, we got a top line, part of a 2nd line, and an partial energy line. The 3rd line is still shit and it'll be easy to neutralize one, or both of the top lines by other teams putting in their scrubs against the 3rd line and the 3rd pairing once they've been exploiter.

Then you're asking MaF to backstop that. If he suits up (which he may not), it's going to hinge on him having a .920+ year, and that's just to make the playoffs.

The 'hawks maybe stepped forward to be ~2016 equivalent--relying on 2 defensemen who played decently, the netminding, and and an overcharged offense. They made the playoffs but by the time the playoffs hit we had a ton of gassed players and couldn't make it out of the 1st round. They weren't serious contenders. I don't think they'll be this year--there are too many holes in the lineup and the 'hawks will have to rely on all of their top players playing a ton of minutes and not having bad games. That hasn't worked since 2015.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Maybe in an EA game.

Are we expecting Jones and McCabe to run 30 minutes per game and take all of the toughest assignments, because that's what will be required of them. While the kids aren't really bad they haven't really been that good or reliable in game situations, yet. Plus we got Calvin "Danny Richmond" DeHaan stinking up the joint back there unless we manage to move him. That is not a solid D--that's a very shallow D which can be exploited--especially 2nd and 3rd pairings if Murph has to babysit.

Meanwhile, up front beyond Toews no one pegged as a center is over 50% at the dot. Dach has an injury history. Strome and Johnson have 3rd line numbers. Toews, Kane, Debrincat, and Koob cannot have a bad game or be pinned down by the opposition if the 'hawks have any chance of winning a game on O, because no one else has any reliable offense. Even if Hagel resigns and we get better energy guys for him, we got a top line, part of a 2nd line, and an partial energy line. The 3rd line is still shit and it'll be easy to neutralize one, or both of the top lines by other teams putting in their scrubs against the 3rd line and the 3rd pairing once they've been exploiter.

Then you're asking MaF to backstop that. If he suits up (which he may not), it's going to hinge on him having a .920+ year, and that's just to make the playoffs.

The 'hawks maybe stepped forward to be ~2016 equivalent--relying on 2 defensemen who played decently, the netminding, and and an overcharged offense. They made the playoffs but by the time the playoffs hit we had a ton of gassed players and couldn't make it out of the 1st round. They weren't serious contenders. I don't think they'll be this year--there are too many holes in the lineup and the 'hawks will have to rely on all of their top players playing a ton of minutes and not having bad games. That hasn't worked since 2015.
One has to wonder where this makeshift rebuild is coming from? Is there pressure coming from upper management, was Bowman read the riot act, or was there a possible agreement between Toews and Stan, that in order for him to come back and give it a go, the team needs to be beefed up. Todays moves are totally out of left field.
From everything I have been reading, there is a whole lot of head scratching going on. I understand the Seth Jones move and I have no issue with Tyler Johnson either, but I ask with all the money that has been put out today, are Kane and Toews officially done when there contracts are up, what is left for Koobs and let’s add in the cat who will get a pay raise, and if he pots 40 this season, it will be a hefty one. Yes, DeHaan and Murphy’s contract will come to an end and MAF is only year, but I can’t see the Hawks not resigning Murphy. I guess only time will tell.

Bust

Liked Posts:
One has to wonder where this makeshift rebuild is coming from?

The makeshift rebuild came from getting money off the books and having money to spend again. Doesn't take rocket science fatty.

DUH

Bust

Liked Posts:
Yes, they are.

Poor Taylor Hall. He tried to take a run at McCabe and got rocked, lol

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One has to wonder where this makeshift rebuild is coming from? Is there pressure coming from upper management, was Bowman read the riot act, or was there a possible agreement between Toews and Stan, that in order for him to come back and give it a go, the team needs to be beefed up. Todays moves are totally out of left field.
From everything I have been reading, there is a whole lot of head scratching going on. I understand the Seth Jones move and I have no issue with Tyler Johnson either, but I ask with all the money that has been put out today, are Kane and Toews officially done when there contracts are up, what is left for Koobs and let’s add in the cat who will get a pay raise, and if he pots 40 this season, it will be a hefty one. Yes, DeHaan and Murphy’s contract will come to an end and MAF is only year, but I can’t see the Hawks not resigning Murphy. I guess only time will tell.
Your guess is as good as mine.

I think Kane stays on...but hopefully at a reduced rate. He can still produce and set guys up and as long as he can the 'hawks should do right by him. I think Toews lives and dies by his season this coming year. If he's lukewarm I think he hangs 'em up. But beyond that, yeah, Debrincat may be a worry. He's homegrown talent and if he keep up the scoring he should get his payday--but the 'hawks can't give it to him if they load the roster up with expensive players to go for it with contracts that extend out--of they do give him the raise but the depth is bad depth.

I think if Stan is going for it, he has to be held accountable--and to me that means they make it to the WCF or he's out on his ass. I don't see it happening with this lineup. Outside looking in or one-and-done? He needs to go.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
It's clear that the team now is much more talented than at the end of the season, but that doesn't mean necessarily they are a better team. And the longer term effects it has are yet to be determined especially when you say you are going to rebuild. That can't happen now unless they go full sell at the trade deadline. The biggest issue with going all in like this is you have a GM going top heavy on top end talent and ignoring the complete lack of depth issues. Which are then completely magnified by a coach way over his head who's go to move is to overplay the talent because he can't develop or coach up players.

Gonna be a really interesting year if everyone stays healthy.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
It's clear that the team now is much more talented than at the end of the season, but that doesn't mean necessarily they are a better team. And the longer term effects it has are yet to be determined especially when you say you are going to rebuild. That can't happen now unless they go full sell at the trade deadline. The biggest issue with going all in like this is you have a GM going top heavy on top end talent and ignoring the complete lack of depth issues. Which are then completely magnified by a coach way over his head who's go to move is to overplay the talent because he can't develop or coach up players.

I agree with what your saying, everything has to fall in line for this team to be successful, there is still a ton of question marks and the largest issue is the coach in which you referred to. I personally have felt that JC is way over his head as a coach, I guess this season will tell us or I can see Crawford taking over. If the Hawks come out of the gate slow, both coach and GM will be feeling the pressure. There is one thing in a rebuild, but now the Bosses money is being spent, I think this makes or breaks it for the Bowmans.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I'll be in the minority here, but I still don't consider this "going all in." I see it this way because the Hawks are still so far away. These moves improve the team and fill holes, but they don't put the team "over the top." We'll have to wait until the trade deadline to see if Stan wants to go all in this year, but right now, it seems like he wants to rebuild his core (Jones, McCabe, Johnson) and have the majority of it in place for when guys like Dach, Beaudin, and maybe even Hagel take the next step in a couple years.

Stan had to address the crumbling core sometime, and he's doing it now, which to me, is fine. He definitely has the goal to make the playoffs, but I don't think the goal, right now, is to win the Cup. He's definitely leaving the door open to go "all in" at this year's deadline. It's classic Bowman, except instead of trying to find bargain players like Murphy and de Haan, he's upping the caliber with guys like Jones and Johnson.

Stan had 3 choices: do absolutely nothing and let the team tank (which is unrealistic if we're being real here; if anything would have gotten him fired, it would've been this), get "iffy" players at best similar to Murphy/De Haan etc. to keep the team's head above water if not just below the surface (which he would have been eaten alive for), or bring in high quality players that actually have a chance to improve the team in both the short term and the long term. I can't necessarily blame him for doing the latter, at least right now.

Bust

Liked Posts:
I'll be in the minority here, but I still don't consider this "going all in.

That was the term the fat nerds here used.

The real schtick is the bar has been raised. This in itself should be good news to many in the anti Stan / JC club.

Colliton will surely get canned by Stan <to save his job> if the Blackhawks stumble out of the gates. Stan's job will be on the line soon after if they don't right the ship.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

One thing brought up on another board is chemistry. With all of the moves the team might not gel for awhile this year--if at all.