Report: Blackhawks close to acquiring Marc Andre Fleury

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
John Dietz of the Herald thinks the Hawks have a playoff team...."if" some things happen.

Check out his list of "ifs" It's lengthy.

Trouble is....just making the playoffs sets the bar too low. IMOP Build a team that has legs....not a one year wonder.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I'll be in the minority here, but I still don't consider this "going all in." I see it this way because the Hawks are still so far away. These moves improve the team and fill holes, but they don't put the team "over the top." We'll have to wait until the trade deadline to see if Stan wants to go all in this year, but right now, it seems like he wants to rebuild his core (Jones, McCabe, Johnson) and have the majority of it in place for when guys like Dach, Beaudin, and maybe even Hagel take the next step in a couple years.

Stan had to address the crumbling core sometime, and he's doing it now, which to me, is fine. He definitely has the goal to make the playoffs, but I don't think the goal, right now, is to win the Cup. He's definitely leaving the door open to go "all in" at this year's deadline. It's classic Bowman, except instead of trying to find bargain players like Murphy and de Haan, he's upping the caliber with guys like Jones and Johnson.

Stan had 3 choices: do absolutely nothing and let the team tank (which is unrealistic if we're being real here; if anything would have gotten him fired, it would've been this), get "iffy" players at best similar to Murphy/De Haan etc. to keep the team's head above water if not just below the surface (which he would have been eaten alive for), or bring in high quality players that actually have a chance to improve the team in both the short term and the long term. I can't necessarily blame him for doing the latter, at least right now.
I don’t think it’s going all in. The best description is build like garpax which is the nba hell model. Just be good enough to stick around. Bowman is “all in” on that

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I'll be in the minority here, but I still don't consider this "going all in." I see it this way because the Hawks are still so far away. These moves improve the team and fill holes, but they don't put the team "over the top." We'll have to wait until the trade deadline to see if Stan wants to go all in this year, but right now, it seems like he wants to rebuild his core (Jones, McCabe, Johnson) and have the majority of it in place for when guys like Dach, Beaudin, and maybe even Hagel take the next step in a couple years.

Stan had to address the crumbling core sometime, and he's doing it now, which to me, is fine. He definitely has the goal to make the playoffs, but I don't think the goal, right now, is to win the Cup. He's definitely leaving the door open to go "all in" at this year's deadline. It's classic Bowman, except instead of trying to find bargain players like Murphy and de Haan, he's upping the caliber with guys like Jones and Johnson.

Stan had 3 choices: do absolutely nothing and let the team tank (which is unrealistic if we're being real here; if anything would have gotten him fired, it would've been this), get "iffy" players at best similar to Murphy/De Haan etc. to keep the team's head above water if not just below the surface (which he would have been eaten alive for), or bring in high quality players that actually have a chance to improve the team in both the short term and the long term. I can't necessarily blame him for doing the latter, at least right now.
The issue here Granada is Stan’s philosophy, one minute it’s a rebuild, the next its not, then it is. Last year Pius Suter was part of the rebuild this year he is out(let’s not talk about the pay increase). Shipping players in and out, shows he is uncertain on what he really wants. I was one who really wanted Seth to be apart of this team, I am happy with Johnson and Mcabe as well, however is this a knee jerk reaction to try a pull a fast one on Rocky once again? I firmly believe all these moves are to protect his ass, unlike you I have zero faith in him building a contender out of this team, but guys like Jones will keep the fans interested and attendance will stay status quo. We all know you can’t build a contender in this current age with over inflated salaries and right now the Hawks are loaded with high salary again and a team with lack of depth, yes the core needed to be cemented once again, no argument there, but beyond that the third and forth lines are very shallow at best.
Let’s look at a huge glaring issue, Faceoffs, Kampf gone, wasn’t a huge fan of him but, he won critical faceoffs, played PK and was a solid 4th liner, instead the team is holding on to Nylander, guys like Kampf fill out the lineup and are Important pieces in balancing a teams lineup.
Danualt is one player, as much as people may not find him to be all that spectacular fills a lot of holes at 5.5, great on the PK, face off guy, plays against the oppositions best players can be slotted up and down the lineup, that’s a player that championship teams need. Toews was always at his best when Bolland and Kruger played, it took the pressure of him, can Johnson fill that role?
I like the additions, the Hawks are a better team now than last year, but did he jump the gun, there were better options, and I for one still can’t comprehend how he bailed Vegas and Tampa out and received nothing in return, signs of a bad GM,
It’s no secret I dislike Bowman and what he has done, and as much as it looks like he is trying to make this team better, he still can’t get past his own ego and his vision that because he is a Bowman he is untouchable.

Last edited:

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I don’t think it’s going all in. The best description is build like garpax which is the nba hell model. Just be good enough to stick around. Bowman is “all in” on that
Good enough, so he can keep his job.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He is a decent defender when playing, that’s the issue with Jake, always injured.
He played in 13 games last year.....do we know if he's healthy? Do we care? Was Shaw Healthy? Did we care then?

Granada

Liked Posts:
The issue here Granada is Stan’s philosophy, one minute it’s a rebuild, the next its not, then it is. Last year Pius Suter was part of the rebuild this year he is out(let’s not talk about the pay increase). Shipping players in and out, shows he is uncertain on what he really wants. I was one who really wanted Seth to be apart of this team, I am happy with Johnson and Mcabe as well, however is this a knee jerk reaction to try a pull a fast one on Rocky once again? I firmly believe all these moves are to protect his ass, unlike you I have zero faith in him building a contender out of this team, but guys like Jones will keep the fans interested and attendance will stay status quo. We all know you can’t build a contender in this current age with over inflated salaries and right now the Hawks are loaded with high salary again and a team with lack of depth, yes the core needed to be cemented once again, no argument there, but beyond that the third and forth lines are very shallow at best.
Let’s look at a huge glaring issue, Faceoffs, Kampf gone, wasn’t a huge fan of him but, he won critical faceoffs, played PK and was a solid 4th liner, instead the team is holding on to Nylander, guys like Kampf fill out the lineup and are Important pieces in balancing a teams lineup.
Danualt is one player, as much as people may not find him to be all that spectacular fills a lot of holes at 5.5, great on the PK, face off guy, plays against the oppositions best players can be slotted up and down the lineup, that’s a player that championship teams need. Toews was always at his best when Bolland and Kruger played, it took the pressure of him, can Johnson fill that role?
I like the additions, the Hawks are a better team now than last year, but did he jump the gun, there were better options, and I for one still can’t comprehend how he bailed Vegas and Tampa out and received nothing in return, signs of a bad GM,
It’s no secret I dislike Bowman and what he has done, and as much as it looks like he is trying to make this team better, he still can’t get past his own ego and his vision that because he is a Bowman he is untouchable.

I hear you, but the way I see it, Bowman has had way worse off-seasons than this one. Kampf, honestly I'm not going to miss him all that much really -- he really was just another Rasmussen, and he'll be easier to replace. Nylander, I agree with you, I hope he goes. I really like Danault but I'd rather overpay a guy like Seth Jones than Danault -- they're both important players, but you couldn't have both of those guys at the prices they were commanding.

I have high hopes for Johnson, but like I said, I wonder if he'll be as effective on a shallower team like the Hawks. I also wonder if the Hawks will do what they always do and try to slot him higher (1LC?) than he should be -- if that is the case, I don't think he'll be as effective. But, in a couple years when the team is actually deeper, yes, I do think Johnson could fit the Bolland role; he's proven he that already.

I don't know if Stan is trying to pull one on Rocky. I just think he's trying to save his ass with bigger moves now, because his drafting has sucked so horribly. If he was as safe as people assume, why not just stand pat?

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lots to chew on there my friend but let's just look at how the Suter situation transpired....

Detroit threw a pretty good contract at him after a pretty good season and a few Detroit guys knew Suter from the OHL days and liked what they knew than and liked what they know now even more. Why not qualify him him for aprox 1.1M and look for a trade partner instead of losing a player for nothing that another team thought highly of?

Granada

Liked Posts:
Lots to chew on there my friend but let's just look at how the Suter situation transpired....

Detroit threw a pretty good contract at him after a pretty good season and a few Detroit guys knew Suter from the OHL days and liked what they knew than and liked what they know now even more. Why not qualify him him for aprox 1.1M and look for a trade partner instead of losing a player for nothing that another team thought highly of?

Because the Hawks thought he'd circle back.

Granada

Liked Posts:

Well, yeah, I think that's pretty much every GM's goal (to stick around) in any sport.

Bust

Liked Posts:

Bulls really just need one A list free agent to sign with them. Unfortunately most want to play on the East or West coast lol

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Because the Hawks thought he'd circle back.
Thought wrong, Suter was a decent player, at the very least they could of qualified him. He wasn’t a top 6, however he had shown in spurts that he could hang in the NHL and be a part of the on and off again rebuild.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Thought wrong, Suter was a decent player, at the very least they could of qualified him. He wasn’t a top 6, however he had shown in spurts that he could hang in the NHL and be a part of the on and off again rebuild.

True, but that's easy to say in hindsight. I don't think anyone saw him getting 3.25 million per.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

There has been so much action surrounding this team in the last few days, with Jones and Fluery and Johnson, I have to say my head is spinning in confusion on what the end goal is here for Bowman and company. I certainly was not expecting these transactions and the reverse philosophy of management to telling fans to be patient then making 3 big splashes in the free agency pool.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
True, but that's easy to say in hindsight. I don't think anyone saw him getting 3.25 million per.
Your right about what he signed for, it seems a little much, but does a qualifying offer keep him around, and if Detroit wanted him, make a trade and get something in return.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
And then there's this today so who knows.......

I heard Pitts wants nothing to do with him, and the same time what if Pitts did take him in a trade for Jarry and a second round.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Your right about what he signed for, it seems a little much, but does a qualifying offer keep him around, and if Detroit wanted him, make a trade and get something in return.

Good question. I can't remember the exact rules on QO's and arbitration now, but maybe it was Bowman's best bet to not offer him one, especially considering the big salaries he just added with Jones, etc. It allowed him to keep his options open and maybe even get Suter for cheaper, but if he did end up losing him (which obviously he did), it wouldn't have been the hugest loss. Hagel still needs to be signed, right? If so, that's where Suter's money's going.

It would have been a risky proposition to QO him, because what if you can't move him? The risk (of not being able to move him) wouldn't have been worth the reward (getting something for nothing).

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good question. I can't remember the exact rules on QO's and arbitration now, but maybe it was Bowman's best bet to not offer him one, especially considering the big salaries he just added with Jones, etc. It allowed him to keep his options open and maybe even get Suter for cheaper, but if he did end up losing him (which obviously he did), it wouldn't have been the hugest loss. Hagel still needs to be signed, right? If so, that's where Suter's money's going.

It would have been a risky proposition to QO him, because what if you can't move him? The risk (of not being able to move him) wouldn't have been worth the reward (getting something for nothing).
Just qualify him @the 1.1M necessary to keep his RFA rights knowing he won't sign the offer(which he wouldn't)therefore using no cap space to do so. Would those rights have value to Detroit and even a 3rd or 4th helps.

Hawks are at zero space until they can use Shaw's money so I don't know how they re-sign Hagel regardless now.