Report: Javy Báez turned down Cubs' $180 million extension offer prior to 2020 season

jts1207

Liked Posts:
When 2 fools met....Cubs for offering and Baez for declining

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That was pre Covid. At that point Javy came off a 5.4 and a 4.4 fWAR seasons. So I would expect it to be 10 years with the first 2 bought up. Javy was looking at it as 19M per. And his production in a prime position with plus D that he should seek more.

If he was offered 19 per now I believe he takes it.

Now Javy is a hot/cold player. Sat he blasts a HR. Yesterday 2/4. With his history that trend just turns into a inferno. That is what he banks on.

Last year they took away a tool from him in game video analysis. He would watch his form and adjust in game. It affected him.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Bryant and Boras turned down a 200+ million extension a few years ago. Right before covid hit. Kris probably regretting it now and good on Scott Boras for failing on his client.

Probably. But Bryant is going to get paid big somewhere.

grandparobbie

Liked Posts:
That was pre Covid. At that point Javy came off a 5.4 and a 4.4 fWAR seasons. So I would expect it to be 10 years with the first 2 bought up. Javy was looking at it as 19M per. And his production in a prime position with plus D that he should seek more.

If he was offered 19 per now I believe he takes it.

Now Javy is a hot/cold player. Sat he blasts a HR. Yesterday 2/4. With his history that trend just turns into a inferno. That is what he banks on.

Last year they took away a tool from him in game video analysis. He would watch his form and adjust in game. It affected him.
In what sane world would a hot and cold player be worth $180 million? I don’t see Javy ever getting any better than he is. He still doesn’t know the strike zone and in the batters box does not show that he is a team player. Without going into a discourse about the decline in the game of baseball due to the home run, walk, strikeout dynamic, Javy is a perfect manifestation of what’s wrong with baseball. I predict he will not sign with the Cubs and will never get anywhere near that kind of money.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
In what sane world would a hot and cold player be worth $180 million? I don’t see Javy ever getting any better than he is. He still doesn’t know the strike zone and in the batters box does not show that he is a team player. Without going into a discourse about the decline in the game of baseball due to the home run, walk, strikeout dynamic, Javy is a perfect manifestation of what’s wrong with baseball. I predict he will not sign with the Cubs and will never get anywhere near that kind of money.

Players get paid off of WAR.

It matters little how they get there.

If a player goes 1/3 with a walk and a single every day he is a bench player. .333 BA and all. Because his SLG is also .333. his OBA is .500. that is awesome but his OPS is .833.

Javy has a career .773 OPS. 2018 was .881. 2019 .847. Both years were better over all to a unrealistic production amount.

In reality Javy is what his Mean production is. .263/..333/..473. close to 30 HR in a full year. Then GG quality D at a high volume D position.

That is not cheap.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Players get paid off of WAR.

It matters little how they get there.

If a player goes 1/3 with a walk and a single every day he is a bench player. .333 BA and all. Because his SLG is also .333. his OBA is .500. that is awesome but his OPS is .833.

Javy has a career .773 OPS. 2018 was .881. 2019 .847. Both years were better over all to a unrealistic production amount.

In reality Javy is what his Mean production is. .263/..333/..473. close to 30 HR in a full year. Then GG quality D at a high volume D position.

That is not cheap.

So the guy with thee higher

ba (by 70 points)
0bp (by 166 points)
Ops (by 30 points)

is less valuable? Love the new school analytics

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
So the guy with thee higher

ba (by 70 points)
0bp (by 166 points)
Ops (by 30 points)

is less valuable? Love the new school analytics

right?! And he tries to say that that guy would be a bench player. Ummm no, he would start and lead off every day with a .500 OBP. It doesn’t matter that the guy never hits a homerun. Getting on base 50% of the time would be a game changer

ironically, this is the same guy complaining about how Theo got us a bunch of the same hitters that just swing for the fences...you’d think he would be all for having a high OBP/contact hitting guy in a starting lineup, but then again csf is never consistent in his arguments

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Know what they call a .333 hitter with a .500 on base %?

A hall of famer.

It is called fiction.

The point is a fiction player A who you call hall of famer. Has a .030 better OPS.

Sure in theory that player would be all time best lead off.

But it reflects value. Javy was on a run of .4/2.2/2.4/5.4/4.4 fWAR. The 2.4 was the first time that he broke 500 PA. Again 2020 sucked in general and he put up 0 fWAR over 235 PA. He was the one that gripped about MLB banning in game video that players utilized to monitor their swings. That rulling was dropped for this year so that was a 1 year situation.

Now if he sucks this year. Have at it. I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of crow eating going on here.

I wouldn't bet against El Magico. He will make you look stupid with a smile.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And to be honest if I had to gamble Jed will resign Javy and Anthony. Kris will go to f/a.

5/100 each. Baez will get options and scallers after due to his younger age that should push the deal closer to 200 Mil.

Jed has pushed for resigning Tony. I feel that they will meet 1/2 way.

Javy would take 20 per with perks that increase. It gives him motivation to get every dime.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Golden sombrero for Javy. He needs to sit a few games to clear his head.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
They should extend KB and either Rizzo/Contreras (pick 1) and nobody else.

why should they extend KB? He’s 29 years old and will be looking for around an 8 year deal at Scott boras type of $$

do you actually think he will live up to anywhere near that contract?

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
why should they extend KB? He’s 29 years old and will be looking for around an 8 year deal at Scott boras type of $$

do you actually think he will live up to anywhere near that contract?

8 years 180-200 mill? Honestly, I would do it. He’s a special hitter.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
8 years 180-200 mill? Honestly, I would do it. He’s a special hitter.

i want nothing to do with paying Kris 25 mil a year in his age 33-37 seasons. He definitely won’t be a special hitter by then, and I’d make the argument that he’s not really a special hitter currently anyways. Kris doesn’t have a hitting style that ages well IMO

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
i want nothing to do with paying Kris 25 mil a year in his age 33-37 seasons. He definitely won’t be a special hitter by then, and I’d make the argument that he’s not really a special hitter currently anyways. Kris doesn’t have a hitting style that ages well IMO

it’s definitely a risk. It looks like he’s back to old KB though. I think old KB is a special hitter everyday of the week, a top 5 third baseman and a guy that can carry your offense. My bad I’m fired up after that grand slam lol. But KB + nico + Contreras + happ isn’t a bad core to build around honestly.