Report: Wentz Traded to Colts

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
As someone who is old enough to remember when Wentz to the Bears for a 1st and Cohen was a done deal, I find it amusing that there are hundreds of Wentz posts on CCS and probably tens of thousands of tweets/reddit posts over what was ultimately just Roseman trying to get a better return from the Colts.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Let's really compare the two deals:

Eagles got:
- 2021 3rd rounder (84th overall)
- 2022 2nd rounder that can become a first if Wentz plays in 75%+ of the snaps OR if he plays in 70%+ of snaps and the Colts make the playoffs.

Colts play in the same division as the Titans, Texans and Jags. IMHO they are the best team, so have a good chance of making the playoffs. I'm thinking this has a higher than 50% chance to be a lower 2022 first rounder.

Lions got:
- 2021 third-round draft pick (88th overall)
- 2022 first-round draft pick
- 2023 first-round draft pick - This was considered as needed to offset taking on Goff's contract
- QB Jared Goff - He was considered a negative asset in the trade (like Brock Osweiler, but more expensive).

So when the Eagles were saying a 'Stafford type return' for Wentz they obviously were not in a position to take on the Goff contract, so the focal point was the 1st and the 3rd. The media looked at the Stafford deal as 2 first, a 3rd and a player while the reality was it was more like 2 separate trades being Stafford for a 1st and a 3rd along with Goff and a 2023 first to offset his contract.
I'm not sure Jared Goff represented the same value to every team. For the Lions he's kind of a positive asset since they are not really in a competitive window and he represents a pretty good bridge quarterback. That's certainly presents some value, definitely not a negative asset that needs to be offset with a first round pick. This gets into some nitty gritty trade value considerations, but I think its fair to say most people were surprised by the haul Detroit got.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It seems Wentz feels betrayed by fans, teammates, coaches, and ownership to me.

I can't blame him for wanting to avoid the same situation with the Bears even though I personally believe our ownership is classier than either Philly or Indy, but that Wentz is a better fit for Indiana/Pence land than he is for Chicago/Obama land.

No doubt the guy can talk to Peyton Manning as well and has been in the league long enough to know the geography.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is good.
Find a way to get rid of Foles.
Draft 2 QBs.
Sign Mitch for 1 - 2 yrs.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Can't be true cause we just had 100's of pages and threads of CCS whiners shitting on Pace for being the idiot that's gonna go all in and bid against himself for C.Wentz...LOL

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
It seems Wentz feels betrayed by fans, teammates, coaches, and ownership to me.

I can't blame him for wanting to avoid the same situation with the Bears even though I personally believe our ownership is classier than either Philly or Indy, but that Wentz is a better fit for Indiana/Pence land than he is for Chicago/Obama land.

No doubt the guy can talk to Peyton Manning as well and has been in the league long enough to know the geography.
I actually think Wentz wanting to leave boiled down to two things:
  1. Team drafted Hurts - He just was never able to look past that and his trust in the GM who drafted and extended him was gone.
  2. Philly was too big of a media market - He's a small town guy who just didn't do well with the the constant media storm.
These two worked against him all year long. Whenever he'd play bad the media would talk about Hurts.

To combine these and think of Chicago and know it's a bigger pure market. The same type of pressure would have been there, so heading to Indy is probably the best for his head.

I'm just going to throw something out there, the comparisons between how Rodgers responded to Love being drafted were often brought up when talking about the Wentz/Hurts. I agree with that on the surface, but that same pressure is way different when you it's coming from a ~100K populated town in Wisconsin and a ~1.6M populated major US city.

I'm definitely not making excuses for Wentz. I'm just trying to make sense of all this.

Last edited:

2Deep

Liked Posts:
Despite speculation as potential suitor, Bears never made a trade offer to Eagles for Carson Wentz - Adam Schefter http://espn.com/app

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Now that I think about it... The Colts trading for Wentz also means I wonder why Watson wouldn't want to go to the Colts, they would be one of the best teams to go to that needs a QB, between them and the Bears, I would say the only teams with enough talent to be a playoff threat with an Average QB, if we are going be last year alone. Guess he don't like Indy...

But if he wants to WIN, Colts honestly be at the top of my list, is I was him...

But if he wanted to stay out of the AFC.... Bears, Saints would top my list... and I'm not thinking of Cap room at a time like this since Brees seems to be heading out the door.

LOL! The Texans might be stupid, but they are not trading Watson to someone in the division.

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's really interesting. I know in the NBA players have a lot more power. They can force their teams to trade them and even tell them where they want to go. If that's what really happened in the Wentz deal then it's probably the first time I can recall this happening in the NFL.

NFL players have forced themselves out of a city (like Ramsey), but I haven't seen them pick the location as well.
Eli Manning on draft day?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Eli Manning on draft day?
I guess Elway also did that to eventually become a Bronco.

But this is different. This is an existing player who lives in the city and just signed a mega deal demanding a change of scenery only a year after signing that deal. This is straight up NBA player type move.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
There's NO WAY Nagy and Pace can trot Foles(or Fitzpatrick, even though I am not as sour on him) out there next season with their jobs on the line(or so we assume)...

They need to be competitive now, while showing they have a bridge to the future. At this point, I have zero idea what these goofs are going to do, so...

Just go get Carr, and then draft a qb. stack up olinemen, secondary and skill position. And have DeFillipo coach these qbs up if he is so good. Or just go all in for Watson, spending whatever capital you have left to build around him. There is really no other option where you can do both. IDK....

BEARS