Resign or dont resign Major Wright?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Get a DL. Wright and Conte will look much better.

We can't possibly keep our safeties. And hiding weaknesses rather than fixing them, is not good.

Last year it was obvious we needed many new O Linemen. Phil went out and got 4 new ones.

I expect he will have two new safeties starting next year. It's almost impossible to envision a scenario in which he would open next season with either of these two starting.

Possibly on the roster, but no way is either on of them starting. No chance.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
See ya later Major. He takes bad angles he has poor instincts he was a guy with speed and power who has less than average instincts and his intelligence quotia seems pretty average at best.

And he's the best one we have on the roster. We need a house cleaning.

Jsnowball81

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good Bye Major Wrong! I cant really see any reason to keep him. A rookie 3rd round would save money as net similar if not better production. 100 tackles must include a ton of tackle assists. He rarely wraps a guy up and tackles one on one. Its almost always that damn throw your shoulder at a guy and hope he goes down crap. He's atrocious in coverage and frequently gets burned on play action.

I'm in the minority but i prefer Chris Conte. That being said two new safeties would be pretty awesome but I dont know if that's in the cards.

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
And he's the best one we have on the roster. We need a house cleaning.

U mean he is the best one we dont have on the roster.
But yeah i guess i hear what u guys are sayng. I guess money is best allocated looking for a player better than wright which some will be available.
On walter football there is one safety with a first round grade. Not sure if i would take a rookie over wrights production or lack there of. But i would take wright over conte and there is a limited amount of cap space in FA and that would be without even addressing the front defensive front 7 yet.

Its not like wright would command a lucrative contract.
The guy who prefers conte over wright . :smh:

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
ya resign both wright and conte you shore up the front seven and those shitty safeties go back to the average safeties they were. im not saying im happy with either of them but id rather see the front seven fixed first unless you get a deal onna great quality safety that ya couldn't pass up. that being said id love to see the safety spots in better hands

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
Bear wise we havent had too many 100 tackle safeties in recent memory. To me its kinda excited and im glad for the milestone and this he could be a piece.

Natedogg8023

Liked Posts:
Keep Wright only for a good price. Conte is under his rookie contract so will be back. I would be ok with safety depth chart being Conte, Wright, FA, and draft pick going into next year. If FA is top tier than the draft pick can be lower, if the draft pick is 1st round than I would hope the FA would simply be a solid vetran at a fair price, not to expensive.

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
Lets just say we kept this defense in tact. A guy like frazier i think we would get at least average int he 16th ranked range. Thats as is. I would hope to upgrade some positions.

OK hypothetical situation:
-Resign j.anderson to play OLB at close to his expiring salary.
-resign wright.

those are both pretty small contracts.

Tillman and Melton at about 5 mil per each. Draft a starting DE in round 1.

Sign a big time Safety. The franchise tag on safeties is like 6- 7 mil so the pay scale for the position is lower than other defensive positions.
Is that enough to the fix the defense? Where is the biggest hole? ILB? DT?

thats about 18 mil dollar plan out of the 46 mil we have. Cutler already took out 18 so that 36 mil.
10m left. Draft a starting Olineman in round 2.

10 mil to comfortably round out the roster.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Unless he is signing for 1 million a year or less then now. He was literally the worst rated safety by PFF this year. Some of that is probably the result of a crappy front 7 but I prefer to see what is on the FA market.

Guitarman

Liked Posts:
Any safety can have 100 tackles when the front 7 don't do a damn thing....

That being said I think Wright should be re-signed and given a chance, his play looked terrible this year due to no pass rush and RBs running with a head of steam at him every play.
His play was terrible when we had a great front 7. The only reason he gets picks is when they bounce off a reciever into his arms because he's always 3 yards behind the play.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Wright is an average SS that should be easy to replace in the draft, the Bears need a more consistent playmaker like Ward from the Browns. Conte should be a backup safety and fight for a roster spot with Craig Steltz. I would only bring back Wright if the Bears can sign him to a team friendly deal AND pair him with a proven star like Jairus Byrd from the Bills.

Butkusrules

Liked Posts:
No way

When i first started to make this thread, iw asnt so sure which is why i wanted to make this thread for opinion.
So then i figured to post his stats for reference:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13307/major-wright

He had 100 tackles and a touchdown in 15 games. Seems like his play fell under the radar this season.

No way . He sucks. He will do better then he has here simply because he gained experience on the Bears fine but he will never be as good as we need him to be.

Bearsweatherman

Liked Posts:
All comes down to price. If he can be resigned for fairly cheap than do it for nothing more than depth purposes.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
If the price is equal, id take Wright over Steltz but id rather pass for other FAs than that and draft depth.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

Moose27

Liked Posts:
Don't resign. New blood is needed in the secondary.

Woods

Chicago Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
I'd be "ok" with Wright coming back. If not, i'd be fine with that too. Conte though, absolutely not. I'll lose my shit.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Letting him walk would be no Major loss. Re-signing him for a low price as a backup would be the Wright move.

TreedBear

Liked Posts:
I say bring them both back and flood training camp with competition. With quality players around them they looked good enough. They're both young and should be able to improve some.