Rex Grossman first impressions

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Rex Grossman first impressions?

I didn't see Rex's preseason games, I had Bears on my ignore list until I saw news of Orton's wins in '05 and the D pulled me back into watching games.

I do remember many fans were very impressed by Rex's early performances.

For those who saw him from the start, how did he compare to Trubisky's preseason game?
I have this nagging feeling the same thing that fooled QB starved fans with Grossman is fooling us now. I don't want to believe that because I never thought Rex had "it" but then I never saw Rex play until the game he replaced Orton and lost the playoffs. If he had "it" he had lost "it" by the time I saw him.

Did Rex really have "it" early or was that wishful thinking and excuses for mistakes?
I think I really saw "it" with Trubisky and don't have to make many excuses for his play.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
He was hyped up pretty good after the Redskins game in 2003. Was his first significant action and he led us to a victory.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The QB I believe made the biggest splash in preseason history was Dak Prescott last season. Here is his first preseason game...

[video=youtube_share;2n6owVKHJgg]https://youtu.be/2n6owVKHJgg[/video]

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
I don't really see any similarities between Rex and Mitchell... why compare them?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I didn't see Rex's preseason games, I had Bears on my ignore list until I saw news of Orton's wins in '05 and the D pulled me back into watching games.

I do remember many fans were very impressed by Rex's early performances.

For those who saw him from the start, how did he compare to Trubisky's preseason game?
I have this nagging feeling the same thing that fooled QB starved fans with Grossman is fooling us now. I don't want to believe that because I never thought Rex had "it" but then I never saw Rex play until the game he replaced Orton and lost the playoffs. If he had "it" he had lost "it" by the time I saw him.

Did Rex really have "it" early or was that wishful thinking and excuses for mistakes?
I think I really saw "it" with Trubisky and don't have to make many excuses for his play.

Rex was a pretty good QB in regards to having a good arm. the guy could sling it, and he had a very good deep ball. He was a bit of a gunslinger so that did cause a little bit of trouble for him.
But Rex had a major flaw that when exposed showed him for the marginal QB that he was. Rex absolutely would collapse under pressure, if the pressure came he would either just throw the ball up for grabs or run backwards in a straight line and take a 20 yard sack. Once he got rattled he was terrible.

MT does not seem to have that problem as far as dealing with pressure, he seems to be able to move and avoid it easily. Will have to see how he responds to a bad throw or 2 that end up as a INT. as long as he has a short memory and can shake off the mistakes then I think this kid is going to be the answer to our QB problems

Throwthebones

Liked Posts:
Rex did not really get a good chance (not a defensive thread) but Rex had the talent he didn't have the ability to stay healthy honestly before the 06 season he played half a season for use if that preseason injury his 2nd year did not happen he might have been the player we drafted he was basically a rookie by 06 he had gone through oc changes if he had a extra season worth of playing like 05 season things could have been different now I'm not saying Peyton manning but could have had a similar career to Dalton. With that said most likely the same outcome as Jay cutler but we would have not had to give away those picks like we did for Jay and who knows what players that would have given us. Wrs like Maclin, Britt, nicks, or Harvin even the next year like Thomas or Dez Bryant. This is all speculation and what if but still.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
MT does not seem to have that problem as far as dealing with pressure, he seems to be able to move and avoid it easily. Will have to see how he responds to a bad throw or 2 that end up as a INT. as long as he has a short memory and can shake off the mistakes then I think this kid is going to be the answer to our QB problems

This.

The thing that impressed me most during that first pre-season game was how Trubisky handled the pressure and bought himself more time. Very poised for it being his first NFL action.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Rex was a pretty good QB in regards to having a good arm. the guy could sling it, and he had a very good deep ball. He was a bit of a gunslinger so that did cause a little bit of trouble for him.
But Rex had a major flaw that when exposed showed him for the marginal QB that he was. Rex absolutely would collapse under pressure, if the pressure came he would either just throw the ball up for grabs or run backwards in a straight line and take a 20 yard sack. Once he got rattled he was terrible.

The pressure would rattle any quarterback but the good ones don't get rattled as quick. I'll give you that he did get rattles quickly but I also think injury was on his mind. Which just made it worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I don't really see any similarities between Rex and Mitchell... why compare them?

The comparison I'm asking about is the fans (including me). Are we so QB starved we would drool over anyone who can make a play?
I'm asking if Grossman fans were blinded by early plays with rookie excuses and let that blindness linger far too long.

The one problem I saw with Trub is the batted balls. Against the 1's that will equal interceptions. So I'm trying to keep a critical mind about him.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Trub definitely has the concept of escaping to the side or forward which is a big plus.

Just from that one preseason game I'm seeing a better QB than rookies who were supposed to be sure things thrown in as starters their first year (and are still waiting to see them become the next super star).

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
tumblr_static_smoking.gif

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Can't find Grossman's week 1 preseason but here's Luck's. Not that I think he's all he's hyped up to be but he is good. We just might have a real QB.

[video=youtube;XsoDZzIWwd0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsoDZzIWwd0[/video]

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
1. Unlike Trubisky, Rex is short

2. Unlike Trubisky, Rex has poor accuracy between 10-15 yards

3. Unlike Trubisky, Rex folds under pressure and takes sacks, fumbles, throws picks

4. Unlike Trubisky, Rex throws one pick and completely melts down.

5. Unlike Trubisky, Rex is either Good or Complete shit, there is no middle ground or consistency

Rex's problem was never his talent or arm, it was always mental with him or injury related.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
Grossman started off capable of avoiding pressure, but he never regained his foot speed after his back-to-back knee and ankle injuries in 04 and 05. I think Trubisky will be different since we already have a proven offensive line that should keep him from getting destroyed.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Grossman started off capable of avoiding pressure, but he never regained his foot speed after his back-to-back knee and ankle injuries in 04 and 05. I think Trubisky will be different since we already have a proven offensive line that should keep him from getting destroyed.

I'm a Rex fan but I watched him at Florida and he had the same issues there. There really was no difference between him there and Chicago. He got benched because of boneheaded play too.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
1. Unlike Trubisky, Rex is short

2. Unlike Trubisky, Rex has poor accuracy between 10-15 yards

3. Unlike Trubisky, Rex folds under pressure and takes sacks, fumbles, throws picks

4. Unlike Trubisky, Rex throws one pick and completely melts down.

5. Unlike Trubisky, Rex is either Good or Complete shit, there is no middle ground or consistency

Rex's problem was never his talent or arm, it was always mental with him or injury related.

Was that preseason rookie Rex and fans were so QB starved they wrote it off as being a rookie (I know that went on long into his career) or did he get those issues later (from injuries or how the Bears handled him)?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Not seeing his real rookie year I always figured his injuries played a big part in who I saw play.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I didn't know anything about Grossman before 2006, but I was led to believe he was pretty fast and mobile before the NFL injuries. I was never a fan of his. don't really get the "lol Grossman is better than Cutler" arguments. Grossman was a never-was outside of September 2006; Cutler at least showed glipses before his eggs got scrambled. hopefully Trubisky ends this charade.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Not seeing his real rookie year I always figured his injuries played a big part in who I saw play.

Read my next post, Rex was like this in college. At Florida he had the same issues that plagued him here, he was benched because of it by Steve Spurrier.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Read my next post, Rex was like this in college. At Florida he had the same issues that plagued him here, he was benched because of it by Steve Spurrier.

That's why I thanked it. I could find his college videos but I don't translate college play to NFL very well.

I hope we're not being fooled by the lack of QB production in Chicago. Watching Luck's 1st preseason game gives me hope that what I think I saw in Trubisky is really there and we at least have a viable QB in him.