Ricketts threw millions at Repubican party but couldnt afford to keep Rizzo

Bust

Liked Posts:
Rizzo is a team cancer, thank goodness he gone

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
He should sell this team.
The thing is we could have afforded and still can keep the guys through FA if they want, but it would be bad business as rizzo in particular will be paying for past performance. The other 2 will just be highly overpaid.

And I don't even like Ricketts, but moving the guys was the right decision

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
The thing is we could have afforded and still can keep the guys through FA if they want, but it would be bad business as rizzo in particular will be paying for past performance. The other 2 will just be highly overpaid.

And I don't even like Ricketts, but moving the guys was the right decision

Wouldn't that be a hoot if Bryant, Baez and Rizzo all signed back with the Cubs? I'd consider becoming a fan again.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Ricketts had to sell at the deadline. Period. That’s why they hired Ross. Needed a rebuild.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't that be a hoot if Bryant, Baez and Rizzo all signed back with the Cubs? I'd consider becoming a fan again.

I love how Jed said post trade interview of how the cub front office offered all these guys extensions and their agents turned them all down.

BOOM!

Bust

Liked Posts:
Ricketts had to sell at the deadline. Period. That’s why they hired Ross. Needed a rebuild.

The timing was perfect. Cubs now have 100 million to spend in free agency. So much flexibility next year.

Notable free agents for 2021-22
Catcher:
Travis d'Arnaud, Yadier Molina, Buster Posey (club option), Christian Vazquez (club option)
First base: Freddie Freeman, Anthony Rizzo, Brandon Belt
Second base: Starlin Castro, Cesar Hernandez (club option)
Third base: Nolan Arenado (opt-out), Kris Bryant, Eduardo Escobar, Kyle Seager (club option), José Ramírez (club option)
Shortstop: Javier Báez, Carlos Correa, Corey Seager, Trevor Story, Andrelton Simmons, Brandon Crawford
Outfield: Michael Conforto, Tommy Pham, Starling Marte, Kyle Schwarber (mutual option), Eddie Rosario, Corey Dickerson, Nick Castellanos (opt-out), Charlie Blackmon (player option), Andrew McCutchen (club option), Jackie Bradley Jr. (opt-out)
Designated hitter: Jorge Soler, Khris Davis, Nelson Cruz, J.D. Martinez (opt-out)
Starting pitchers: Noah Syndergaard, Clayton Kershaw, Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, Zack Greinke, Lance Lynn, Marcus Stroman, Kevin Gausman, Corey Kluber, Eduardo Rodriguez, Dylan Bundy, James Paxton, Robbie Ray, Johnny Cueto (club option), Trevor Bauer (opt-out)
Relievers: Kenley Jansen, Trevor Rosenthal, Brad Hand, Andrew Miller, Jeurys Familia, Archie Bradley, Raisel Iglesias, Adam Ottavino, Kirby Yates

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He should sell this team.
They have to put another dimwitted son in a Statehouse somewhere and that shit ain't cheap!

edit: Speaking of dimwits....LOL!

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The timing was perfect. Cubs now have 100 million to spend in free agency. So much flexibility next year.

Notable free agents for 2021-22
Catcher:
Nope
First base: Nope
Second base: Nope
Third base: Nope
Shortstop: Nope
Outfield: Michael Conforto, Nick Castellanos (opt-out),
Designated hitter: Nope
Starting pitchers: Nope to the guys listed.
Relievers: Nope

My viewpoint:

Ortega CF
Madrigal 2B
Castellanos 1B
Confronto LF
Contreras C
Wisdom 3B
Heyward RF unless Deichmann rakes and plays into the mix before then. Then you may end up eating this deal.
Hoerner SS

Bench: flexible

Rotation:
Hendricks
Carlos Rondon
Mills (Holding for Kilian)
Steel
Thompson

Pen:

9th Wick
8th Alzolay
7th Maples
LH SU Weick

The rest I would spend some for quality depth again and let the rest shuffle up and down.

2022 tax will be at 58.125M Cap most likely near 210M again. 100M is a easy target. It might even be a bit low.

Rondon will get paid. I see him as the best lefty on the market. I would offer him 8/225. Pump 35M up front in a bonus with a 15M base. 50M

Castellanos I would give him 8/200. 40M up front to lower his back end to manageable. (22.85M per year 2-8) Even work another large payment year 2.

Confronto I would offer 8/180.

Contreras extend 8/160.

This ends up at 190M total. Jed would have a new core in place and then just let the farm system filter in naturally.

Time wise Davis and Kilian would be in Iowa and not really blocked. Ortega may end up making it hard to sit him but you do what is best going forward.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Rizzo is a team cancer, thank goodness he gone
I agree. The Cubs will win without him and lose without him. He wasn’t playing well.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
My viewpoint:

Ortega CF
Madrigal 2B
Castellanos 1B
Confronto LF
Contreras C
Wisdom 3B
Heyward RF unless Deichmann rakes and plays into the mix before then. Then you may end up eating this deal.
Hoerner SS

Bench: flexible

Rotation:
Hendricks
Carlos Rondon
Mills (Holding for Kilian)
Steel
Thompson

Pen:

9th Wick
8th Alzolay
7th Maples
LH SU Weick

The rest I would spend some for quality depth again and let the rest shuffle up and down.

2022 tax will be at 58.125M Cap most likely near 210M again. 100M is a easy target. It might even be a bit low.

Rondon will get paid. I see him as the best lefty on the market. I would offer him 8/225. Pump 35M up front in a bonus with a 15M base. 50M

Castellanos I would give him 8/200. 40M up front to lower his back end to manageable. (22.85M per year 2-8) Even work another large payment year 2.

Confronto I would offer 8/180.

Contreras extend 8/160.

This ends up at 190M total. Jed would have a new core in place and then just let the farm system filter in naturally.

Time wise Davis and Kilian would be in Iowa and not really blocked. Ortega may end up making it hard to sit him but you do what is best going forward.
Your contracts are insane