Robinson unlikely to be extended before deadline

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I’ll keep saying this….. none of us knows what the Bears are offering and what AR wants. Without that knowledge arguing over this is dumb.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I’ll keep saying this….. none of us knows what the Bears are offering and what AR wants. Without that knowledge arguing over this is dumb.
There's enough smoke out there that we know he's looking for a contract similar (or better) to Keenan Allen. ARob has also shot down rumors that he wanted 25Mil. Also, the actual numbers don't really matter. It's obvious he wants more than the Bears are offering and the Bears aren't willing to give him what he's asking. The arguing is over whether the Bears should pay him what he wants.

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I can’t imagine we’re offering less than the reported 18m per season. So it has to be that Robinson just wants more…probably a decent chunk more, as it’s a HUGE risk to not sign and pocket that guaranteed money, which would likely be around 40m…

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There's enough smoke out there that we know he's looking for a contract similar (or better) to Keenan Allen.

No, we really don't know. The same speculation has just been repeated enough that people deem it to be fact.

napo55

Liked Posts:
I can’t imagine we’re offering less than the reported 18m per season. So it has to be that Robinson just wants more…probably a decent chunk more, as it’s a HUGE risk to not sign and pocket that guaranteed money, which would likely be around 40m…
Well, Mike Glennon was paid 18 million, so is ARob worth any more?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I had to guess, I’d say that Pace is gonna put the franchise tag on Robinson again next season. 1 year at 21 mil is not a back breaking figure, Robinson might even be demanding more than that yearly in an extension.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’s a gamble by both parties.
If AR plays and puts up his career average’s with Fields… then he is what he is and Pace will move on and try to replace him via the draft and free agency in his typical double down approach. (Most likely)

If there’s a noticeable chemistry and Robinson puts up career numbers Pace will probably pay the higher price tag and keep him around. (Then drafting his replacement in 2023). (Least likely)

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
If I had to guess, I’d say that Pace is gonna put the franchise tag on Robinson again next season. 1 year at 21 mil is not a back breaking figure, Robinson might even be demanding more than that yearly in an extension.
Yes, control him for his age 28 and 29 seasons and let another team pay up for his age 30 season and beyond.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
while robinson has great work ethic and being a good mentor for the WR's, if the rumors are true that he is seeking a minimum of 20 mill per year thats too much imo. Tagging him a 2nd time is not feasible imo, the 2022 cap ceiling is 208 mill which would give the bears roughly 36 mill in space...I dont think they set a cap floor yet but even at 36 mill, using ~21 mill to tag robinson again and leaving only 15 mill doesnt sound like it will work...2-3 mill for draft, 5 mill for in season emergencies leaving 7-8 mill for free agency and extensions doesnt sound feasible and thats the best case scenario with the cap ceiling...

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
while robinson has great work ethic and being a good mentor for the WR's, if the rumors are true that he is seeking a minimum of 20 mill per year thats too much imo. Tagging him a 2nd time is not feasible imo, the 2022 cap ceiling is 208 mill which would give the bears roughly 36 mill in space...I dont think they set a cap floor yet but even at 36 mill, using ~21 mill to tag robinson again and leaving only 15 mill doesnt sound like it will work...2-3 mill for draft, 5 mill for in season emergencies leaving 7-8 mill for free agency and extensions doesnt sound feasible and thats the best case scenario with the cap ceiling...
Eh. 20M/year is the going rate for a WR of Robinson's caliber. You may think it's too much, but it is what it is. Also, if you structure the contract well, he'll never actually count for 20M against the cap in any season. Keenan Allen and DeForest Buckner have 20M AAV contracts and neither of them will count for over 20M against the cap until they have little (5M in Allen's case) or no dead cap, so they'll only count over 20M if the team wants to pay them that much.

5 year contract, $100mil, 54M guaranteed, 15M signing bonus

2021- 10 base, 3 signing = 13M cap hit (saves 5M this year)
2022- 13 base, 3 signing = 16M cap hit
2023- 16 base, 3 signing = 19M cap hit
2024- 22 base, 3 signing = 25M cap hit (can be cut with 6M dead cap)
2025- 24 base, 3 signing = 27M cap hit (can be cut with 3M dead cap)

Same contract as Amari Cooper. 6M less guaranteed money, but 5M more upfront. Robinson gets the prestige of a 100M contract, pockets 25M in 2021 as opposed to the 18M he's guaranteed to get as of today. Get some stability until he's 30. For the Bears, you don't have to pay a 30-year old WR. Save cap space the next 2 years vs. franchise tags, don't lose your best offensive player. And you can afford to pay him 19M in 2023 with a cheap QB and LT. 2024 you can let a 30-year old WR walk, re-sign Mooney, and free up some space for Fields' 5th year option and hopeful extension.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eh. 20M/year is the going rate for a WR of Robinson's caliber. You may think it's too much, but it is what it is. Also, if you structure the contract well, he'll never actually count for 20M against the cap in any season. Keenan Allen and DeForest Buckner have 20M AAV contracts and neither of them will count for over 20M against the cap until they have little (5M in Allen's case) or no dead cap, so they'll only count over 20M if the team wants to pay them that much.

5 year contract, $100mil, 54M guaranteed, 15M signing bonus

2021- 10 base, 3 signing = 13M cap hit (saves 5M this year)
2022- 13 base, 3 signing = 16M cap hit
2023- 16 base, 3 signing = 19M cap hit
2024- 22 base, 3 signing = 25M cap hit (can be cut with 6M dead cap)
2025- 24 base, 3 signing = 27M cap hit (can be cut with 3M dead cap)

Same contract as Amari Cooper. 6M less guaranteed money, but 5M more upfront. Robinson gets the prestige of a 100M contract, pockets 25M in 2021 as opposed to the 18M he's guaranteed to get as of today. Get some stability until he's 30. For the Bears, you don't have to pay a 30-year old WR. Save cap space the next 2 years vs. franchise tags, don't lose your best offensive player. And you can afford to pay him 19M in 2023 with a cheap QB and LT. 2024 you can let a 30-year old WR walk, re-sign Mooney, and free up some space for Fields' 5th year option and hopeful extension.
I'd do that contract with ARob in a heartbeat. He's 27 so you evaluate his productivity going into year 4 as he turns the corner on 30 and then take it year by year looking at that hit relative to the increase in the cap. The continuity on offense with Fields having a solid 1&2 makes it worthwhile extending him.

On the flipside, it's hard to know what ARob is looking for because the Bears have held leverage in the negotiations. There haven't been substantive talks and no numbers leaked.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If we cut Quinn and Foles we have 45 million.

The tag will be roughly 22 million.

We would still need to add 20+ guys to the roster to even get to the 51 cut off.

A tag makes little financial sense.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
WhT if fields gets in at some point and he and robinson absolutely light it up and pace loooksnlike a dumbass again.

we have no draft picks to pick up a stud unless you go get davante Adam’s! Which if fields does light it up is a possibility and only possibility to improve otherwise we are taking away talent from the kid!

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I'm confused as to how Robinson is graded so highly on lists for receivers, yet there's like a borderline "fuck him, cut him" thing going on here.

also, the Glennon signing was nothing more than throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. I don't know why anyone would take a flyer on that giraffe neck jackoff, but that's water under the bridge.
Only a moron of a GM thinks that throwing that shit against the wall would be have stuck and if I’m an owner would never have approved that shit deal. I wouldn’t have let glennon play on my team for 18 million per year that he paid me!!! I said it way back then as I watch a lot of Tampa games bc I live in the area and he was never going to be even horrible!

mecha

Liked Posts:
Only a moron of a GM thinks that throwing that shit against the wall would be have stuck and if I’m an owner would never have approved that shit deal. I wouldn’t have let glennon play on my team for 18 million per year that he paid me!!! I said it way back then as I watch a lot of Tampa games bc I live in the area and he was never going to be even horrible!
yeah I didn't see him there, but like a preseason game or two I had my mind made up. I was baffled at how he couldn't even fake a handoff properly. his neck and fucking face too.