Rodman breaks down the Triangle offense

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Feels like you can call any play in the nba the triangle.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Feels like you can call any play in the nba the triangle.
When you draw an actual triangle, you can always connect dots to make one on the floor. But that isn't the entirety of the triangle offense, that is only the triangle option or strategy where you have two receivers ready to each side, and hope one of them is able to continue. You pass, reset, nearest players infinitely reset and reform, any pick requires 2 extra players, one to set and one to reform.

Triangle offense you have a guy in the middle starting the triangle. Opposed to a 3-2 or 2-3, it's almost always some form of 2-1-2 with the 1 controlling changes to the floor, not the man at the top of the arch, or necessarily the ball handler. This is why traditional or modern point guards in a triangle, aside from a few Princeton specific motions, are ineffective.

Why isn't it used? Most, not all, zone defenses can cover the space that the triangle opens effectively enough. So now teams prefer setting that pick to turn two defenders into one for short periods, than make space, forcing them to burn energy, opposed to rest and just watch. Plus, most teams don't have a handful of elite play makers that can read openings to exploit a well executed zone.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
When you draw an actual triangle, you can always connect dots to make one on the floor. But that isn't the entirety of the triangle offense, that is only the triangle option or strategy where you have two receivers ready to each side, and hope one of them is able to continue. You pass, reset, nearest players infinitely reset and reform, any pick requires 2 extra players, one to set and one to reform.

Triangle offense you have a guy in the middle starting the triangle. Opposed to a 3-2 or 2-3, it's almost always some form of 2-1-2 with the 1 controlling changes to the floor, not the man at the top of the arch, or necessarily the ball handler. This is why traditional or modern point guards in a triangle, aside from a few Princeton specific motions, are ineffective.

Why isn't it used? Most, not all, zone defenses can cover the space that the triangle opens effectively enough. So now teams prefer setting that pick to turn two defenders into one for short periods, than make space, forcing them to burn energy, opposed to rest and just watch. Plus, most teams don't have a handful of elite play makers that can read openings to exploit a well executed zone.
Just pointing out that rodman described two completely different scenarios as the triangle. And I am not nba play expert by any means, but I could swear I have heard those plays called something else before. It's like undertakers finishing move the last ride was just a version of the powerbomb.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Just pointing out that rodman described two completely different scenarios as the triangle. And I am not nba play expert by any means, but I could swear I have heard those plays called something else before. It's like undertakers finishing move the last ride was just a version of the powerbomb.

He was pointing out the triangles that existed and how they shifted. ESPN added the graphic to make it seem like that defined the whole play, which might be why it's confusing. It's part of the offense, how players move, etc. Who goes where and why, more than how it looks with the graphic added. I think describing it as a shifting 2-1-2 makes the most sense, opposed to 2-3 dominant styles, where the only consistent shift is to set screens. Rodman was just explaining why players moved, to give those options. He explained the screen, he explained the diversion setup, and because he wasn't under the basket on these particular replays, he's not pointing out how players also coordinate for second chances. If he got the rebound, you're damn right he's going to point out his role in the triangle on that play too! LOL