Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Carlos has been a huge disappointment. Between the injuries and inconsistent performances when healthy, he’s hardly been anywhere near the player the Sox thought they drafted.

This one year prove it deal may spark better results. He better hope so because his career is starting to slip away.

At this point, he’s veteran depth with a chance to compete for the 5th starter spot.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Instead of garbage deals for Eaton and Rodon, why not get a legit middle rotation SP and put some tape and glue in RF until the deadline? I just don't get it.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Instead of garbage deals for Eaton and Rodon, why not get a legit middle rotation SP and put some tape and glue in RF until the deadline? I just don't get it.

I don’t like the Eaton deal at all and totally agree. I think it is worth giving Rodon one final look especially with Katz putting fresh eyes on him. I still hope Kopech and Lopez show so well that one of them ends up in that slot.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I don’t like the Eaton deal at all and totally agree. I think it is worth giving Rodon one final look especially with Katz putting fresh eyes on him. I still hope Kopech and Lopez show so well that one of them ends up in that slot.
They are putting a ton of faith in and pressure on Katz to be able to fix a lot of pitchers who have struggled.

To me, after you trade Dunning for Lynn that's the time to go in on the first part of the window. And they easily could have done that with a modest investment. Instead, Jerry's footprint is all over this, half assing it and selling hope to an excited fan base. And it could work out if say Cease figures it out and the young hitters mature. But this hasn't been an offseason that a team serious about competing for a WS has at this juncture.

Last edited:
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bears
Guys what did we always hear from the baseball world? How great Don Cooper was. Really? 19 years right? Just asking just how good he was. Jon Garland, Jon Rauch, Carson Fulmer, Rodan, Kyle McCulloch, Kris Honel, Lance Broadway and Aaron Porrda to name a few. Most were the #1 pick for the Sox. Plus we could add Lopez.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
IF Rodon is healthy, he could really make a decent starting rotation very good. His stuff has always been excellent. Trouble is that his pitches move so much that he has trouble controlling them. That can be fixed and hopefully Katz can help in figure it out. Same thing with Lopez. I really like his stuff but once again, his problem is that the ball moves so much that it is hard to control. With Cease, I believe his problem is his lower half and his stride to the plate. He goes off center alignment in my view. I think that Katz can fix that pretty easily and I am surprised that Cooper didn't see it and fix it last year. I was a big Cooper advocate through the years but I just think that he pretty much got burned out and checked out. I'm glad they got rid of him.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They did that, imo, with Lynn. And outdid themselves winning the trade for Gio, getting Eaton back, and then having the balls and wisdom to sign Keuchel.

I'm sad this backfired on the Sox financially with the zero fans and shortened seasons, but fans are our problem anyway so maybe it hurts us less.

Kopech/Cease....so by my count thats 4 arms to be confident in, and plus a bunch of maybe's including Rodon.

In my lifetime I can only remember us having 4 pitchers one time, 2005/2006...because we lucked into a 44 year old phenom on roids, the coaches son-in-law joined us, Garland had a few year stetch, and we had the one hall of famer raised in-house.

Other than that the current bounty is staggering compared to our modern history. This is the best its ever looked on paper.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bears
IF Rodon is healthy, he could really make a decent starting rotation very good. His stuff has always been excellent. Trouble is that his pitches move so much that he has trouble controlling them. That can be fixed and hopefully Katz can help in figure it out. Same thing with Lopez. I really like his stuff but once again, his problem is that the ball moves so much that it is hard to control. With Cease, I believe his problem is his lower half and his stride to the plate. He goes off center alignment in my view. I think that Katz can fix that pretty easily and I am surprised that Cooper didn't see it and fix it last year. I was a big Cooper advocate through the years but I just think that he pretty much got burned out and checked out. I'm glad they got rid of him.
Well maybe the Sox should have made you pitching coach then

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well maybe the Sox should have made you pitching coach then

Helluva idea:) Seriously, though, I think that Cease's problem is his lower half mechanics mostly. If a pitcher's lower half is messed up and he doesn't stride properly, there is almost zero chance that he can control anything. Cease's stuff is excellent except he is off target when he strides a lot of the time. The mind also is a tricky thing with pitchers(and golfers also BTW) Your eyes and mind may think that you are lined up straight at the target through the delivery and/or the golf swing but you may be not at all.

When I was a pitching coach, one of my strongest lessons for a young pitcher was their set-up and landing spot. I made these guys try to land in the same spot(or spots sometimes) all of the time with their land foot aimed straight at the plate or the area of the plate that you wanted the pitch to go. I also taught them how to analyze for themselves when a pitch went awry and to work backwards to find out why it didn't go where they wanted it to. It worked for me and for the majority of the kids I worked with anyway:)

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
So far Rodon has had a great spring and an excellent first outing. If he pitches like he did last night, there won’t be many 5th starters that stack up against him.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Solid outing for Rodon last night. He had it working.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Rodon is BACK and looking better than ever!

That’s a tough way to lose a perfect game but a no hitter is a nice consolation prize.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Tonight and in Seattle he looked like the guy the Sox thought they selected with the 3rd pick in the draft.

Last edited:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Wow. What an outing.

That ninth inning was WILD.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He's been like a totally different player. Health has mostly been the question and it will continue to be, but his stuff looks great and you have to be happy for him.

Sox have two starters with 0.00 era so far.