Roquan Smiths Chance to Seal the Game

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One of my bigger disapointments in the win was the 4th and medium play at mid field on one of Broncos late drives where Smith had the opportunity to win the game with a stop was how I remembered it.

He had Lindsay in the flat and it looked like a great angle to go full speed ahead and cut him down. In what was probably a little respect he hesitated and didn't close fast enough, maybe fearing Lindsay getting behind him. That slight hesitation gave LIndsay the angle and he got to the sideline with 4 yards to spare.

I would have liked to see him be more aggressive with the stakes of that situation, and go all out for the tackle 1 v 1 and be confident he could have cut him down or grabbed an ankle. He was out there pretty alone, but that is a play our young linebacker is designed to make. I was surprised Lindsay could beat him too and how slow Smith looked on the play.

anyone else see this? It worked out, but I want our playmakers to handle their business when given a chance, you gotta make that tackle.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
One of my bigger disapointments in the win was the 4th and medium play at mid field on one of Broncos late drives where Smith had the opportunity to win the game with a stop was how I remembered it.

He had Lindsay in the flat and it looked like a great angle to go full speed ahead and cut him down. In what was probably a little respect he hesitated and didn't close fast enough, maybe fearing Lindsay getting behind him. That slight hesitation gave LIndsay the angle and he got to the sideline with 4 yards to spare.

I would have liked to see him be more aggressive with the stakes of that situation, and go all out for the tackle 1 v 1 and be confident he could have cut him down or grabbed an ankle. He was out there pretty alone, but that is a play our young linebacker is designed to make. I was surprised Lindsay could beat him too and how slow Smith looked on the play.

anyone else see this? It worked out, but I want our playmakers to handle their business when given a chance, you gotta make that tackle.
Lindsay is faster than Smith, and probably the reason for the hesitation, but I agree with you even though he might have completely whiffed on the tackle...

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
wow...4.39 pro day...you might be right, however, they ususually add .1 to pro-day times, making him roughly equivalent to Smith's 4.51 on the electronic timer.

but that explains alot about the respect and his looking slow on the play, thanks. Smith also looks to have gained about 25 lbs since that time...something worth monitoring if that weight is good for him in coverage.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
wow...4.39 pro day...you might be right, however, they ususually add .1 to pro-day times, making him roughly equivalent to Smith's 4.51 on the electronic timer.

but that explains alot about the respect and his looking slow on the play, thanks. Smith also looks to have gained about 25 lbs since that time...something worth monitoring if that weight is good for him in coverage.
Maybe he's been eatting at lance briggs's barbecue a little too much!

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Nicely thrown pass, almost impossible to stop a route like that with 2 yards to go.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Smith didn’t look like himself at all yesterday. He didn’t play bad, but was definitely not flying around like he usually does. I am hoping it was the altitude and that he was just winded.
It is very likely he was just tired. He didn't get off the field as much as many other players out there. So he was rarely subbed out of the game. Also the crew on tv said it best when he caught that ball in stride. Harder to hit the target.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Smith didn’t look like himself at all yesterday. He didn’t play bad, but was definitely not flying around like he usually does. I am hoping it was the altitude and that he was just winded.

Was targeted 9 times in coverage. Allowed 6 catches for 33 yards. That's pretty good. Also 13 tackles, so that number is pretty good.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The whole team was giving Lindsay a cutback cushion

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:

Yep. Agree with this. He went flat footed instead of attacking.

But overall he had a good game. The whole D did.

And we did get winded at the end -no doubt. But it would have been nice to see the O get a few first downs late in the 4th after the Fuller pick and not put the D right back out there after a long drive.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I remember the play which the OP is referring to and was similarly disappointed. But as others mentioned by that point the D was exhausted and their endurance was being tested in the Altitude.

Also I looked up the stats. We had 56 plays and 10 drives for an average of 5.6 plays per drive. On the other hand Denver had 76 plays for 9 drives resulting in 8.4 plays per drive. This type of discrepancy is going to kill our D if the Offense is having trouble sustaining drives.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The defense was gassed. This board has completely underrated just how difficult it is to compete in Denver when its hot with the thin air. Eddie Jackson, Fuller, Mack, Smith, etc--they were all completely running on fumes. They were sucking wind before the 4th qtr started. This was essentially the Miami game except they won & Trubs looked like shit.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The defense was gassed. This board has completely underrated just how difficult it is to compete in Denver when its hot with the thin air. Eddie Jackson, Fuller, Mack, Smith, etc--they were all completely running on fumes. They were sucking wind before the 4th qtr started. This was essentially the Miami game except they won & Trubs looked like shit.
I've lived at 6000 feet 20 of my 40 years.

Enough to recognize immediately the bullshit sales pitch of those oxygen restriction masks. I'll tell you they don't work the same as training at elevation. Someone with experience can tell you, when you are gassed at elevation you suck air...lots of air...its max forced air expanding the lungs, getting deep into the lungs, red lining the system....whereas the mask is air restriction, very little air, debriving your muscles and forcing you to work with less...sure, but the principles are very different and the feeling nothing alike.

Yes...you are right I had the same thought about how slow he looked on that play...just didn't mention because the point is you gotta ramp it up when you can finish the game on one play. He should have been lit and came in hot, imo.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

I agree with you. I remember a play like you described, but I don't remember which player it was, maybe this was play and it was Smith. And yes, I thought exactly the same thing = I thought he should have sprinted right at him and stuck the tackle, instead of freezing and letting Lindsay pick his move.

Correction... watching some highlights, it was Trevathen who froze on the play I'm thinking of -- it was 11:43 in the 2nd qtr.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was targeted 9 times in coverage. Allowed 6 catches for 33 yards. That's pretty good. Also 13 tackles, so that number is pretty good.
and a compiling reason to be exhausted

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with you. I remember a play like you described, but I don't remember which player it was, maybe this was play and it was Smith. And yes, I thought exactly the same thing = I thought he should have sprinted right at him and stuck the tackle, instead of freezing and letting Lindsay pick his move.
yeah, thats the one. It could have been a 4th and 2 as mentioned but this all happened behind the line of scrimmage with about 5-6 yards to gain for the first.

1. It was possible Smith was on a severe island, if nothing was behind him he had to be sure of the stop and not take a risk. Someone would have to look at the all-22 to tell us if he had a safety with an angle. If he did he should have taken the chance.

2. It was really over before it began...his only chance was at the first moment and once he hesitated the chance was gon, so it would have been a great play, but we are talking about a high first rounder so I just wanted to talk about it and hold him accountable. I am sure he will learn the lesson in the film room.