Roquan taken off the PUP list

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Quan pushed all in with a bad hand. Now appears Poles is calling his bluff…

4THQUARTERCLUTCHLER

Liked Posts:
I'm leaning towards Armstrong representing him as his agent and all parties working out a deal. A player without an agent in this day and age is never a good idea, Smith is probably realizing that, we're all saying how cheap bears are by why dosen't Smith want to pay an agent to negotiate a contract for him?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
This is what happens when you publically try and subvert a GM's authority. Roquan Smith was fine until he made that plea to George McCaskey to step in over Ryan Poles head and give him the money he wanted. It was really misguided, George is not going to do that to a first year GM and if he did it would be a pretty major controversy that would really soil the Bears reputation league wide.

So now Poles can do whatever he wants in this situation, including presenting Roquan with the ultimatum between playing this year for his fifth year option or sitting out the year and watching his value halve itself. By demanding the McCaskey's step in Roquan inadvertently made it impossible for them to do so.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m betting this has much more to do with fining him and making him speak to the media Aka “playing hardball” than it does they’re getting close to an extension.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Potential?

No better way to tell potential free agents to fuck off than treat your current upcoming FA players like trash.

We're going to be the team giving out those Kirk deals if we start fining roquan. Players will always side with him. Would be a very bad look.
Think this is overblown. If you’re the highest bidder and show the player the money, they will sign. They won’t care about past transgressions with other players as long as they’re taken care of

baredown

Liked Posts:
This move is nothing more than the Bears way of signaling Roquan to stop with the silliness and to get this thing done. This is only going to cost him the $2.9k/week veteran per diem. Hardly a punitive move. More of a nudge to get back to negotiations instead of positioning in the media.

People are way overreacting here. Roquan is going to get his contract. Like all protracted NFL contract negotiations, it always comes down to a dollars&cents thing on the guarantees. He'll be practicing by Tuesday...

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
All this PUP talk just makes me miss Paradise Pup. ?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Potential?

No better way to tell potential free agents to fuck off than treat your current upcoming FA players like trash.

We're going to be the team giving out those Kirk deals if we start fining roquan. Players will always side with him. Would be a very bad look.
This post is idiotic. FA's don't give a shit what transpired 1 or 2 years ago, with a guy they don't even know.Has the great treatment of Zach Miller resulted in a boon of free agents begging to play for the Bears? As free agents, 4 or more years into their career, they are signing a deal that very well may be their last as a football player, they aren't concerned with what may happen 4 years down the road.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Its a weird situation without precedent in NFL history because these hold-ins are such a recent phenomenon. As far as I know Roquan's the first guy to do it, not get a contract then demand a trade. So anything is possible here and maybe there is some league rule or part of the CBA that makes this a rote precursor to an extension. So I might be wrong here.

But it doesn't make sense for this to be the first sign of Roquan Smith signing an extension. If that were the case they'd just leave him on the PUP until the ink was dry then quietly take him off immediately after since the whole purpose of the PUP charade would be mooted by him signing the deal. Announce his return to practice and his contract extension all in one fell swoop, no need to break up the news like this.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This move is nothing more than the Bears way of signaling Roquan to stop with the silliness and to get this thing done. This is only going to cost him the $2.9k/week veteran per diem. Hardly a punitive move. More of a nudge to get back to negotiations instead of positioning in the media.

People are way overreacting here. Roquan is going to get his contract. Like all protracted NFL contract negotiations, it always comes down to a dollars&cents thing on the guarantees. He'll be practicing by Tuesday...
Not true
Skipping training camp comes at a hefty cost with players facing fines of $40,000 a day for players on a rookie contract and $50,000 a day for players on a veteran contract.

baredown

Liked Posts:
I'm leaning towards Armstrong representing him as his agent and all parties working out a deal. A player without an agent in this day and age is never a good idea, Smith is probably realizing that, we're all saying how cheap bears are by why dosen't Smith want to pay an agent to negotiate a contract for him?
Don't think so. Why would Roquan want the guy who represents the people he's negotiating with to represent him as well in those negotiations?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Don't think so. Why would Roquan want the guy who represents the people he's negotiating with to represent him as well in those negotiations?
I think the Bears are trying to get Roquan Smith to understand that if you factor in everything from cap space going forward to the role Smith has already carved out on the Bears that makes him uniquely valuable to this franchise, that the Bears are the team that is going to offer him the most money. The problem is Smith has no agent so he can't know what his value around the league is, and if he is stubbornly just refusing anything other than the deal he wants well...the Bears eventually are just going to decide its not worth it.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Not true
Skipping training camp comes at a hefty cost with players facing fines of $40,000 a day for players on a rookie contract and $50,000 a day for players on a veteran contract.
Oops, my bad. You're correct. It looks like the 2020 CBA made fines for unexcused training camp absences mandatory....

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think the Bears are trying to get Roquan Smith to understand that if you factor in everything from cap space going forward to the role Smith has already carved out on the Bears that makes him uniquely valuable to this franchise, that the Bears are the team that is going to offer him the most money. The problem is Smith has no agent so he can't know what his value around the league is, and if he is stubbornly just refusing anything other than the deal he wants well...the Bears eventually are just going to decide its not worth it.

But what if Roquan doesn't want to play in the sticks in Arlington Heights?

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oops, my bad. You're correct. It looks like the 2020 CBA made fines for unexcused training camp absences mandatory....
thats if you dont show up

ro has been showing up. so i think its up to the team to fine him

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Roquan lives by the Rapaport and dies by the Schefter. Two can play the NFL insider game, Smith should've known this was coming from Halas Hall. George McCaskey was not going to come down and subvert his first year GM.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
"If this isn't to sign or trade him and they start fining him, this has the potential to blow up in Poles face."

How? Roquan is still under contract..

Because players and agents will take note of this.

I don't think Poles cares if that's the case. I don't see it as blowing up in his face. He's rightfully pisssed and hurt, screw Roquan and fine him. Poles did the guy a solid by putting him on PUP and Smith says all that negative crap

Then he is an idiot because players and agents will care about this.