Roquan taken off the PUP list

greg23

Liked Posts:
Quan reported and fulfilled all duties required of him while on PUP as he attended meetings and practices.
Super

He's got a month to-go before the season starts......off the PUP today so technically tomm he's a no-show/non participant if he's not practicing

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You do know agents are going to very keen to make sure all their clients know full well that Roquan Smith doesn't have an agent and that this is much more a cautionary tale of representing oneself than it is the evil Bears. This saga has a lot of parties with interests at stake.
I could see Poles fielding a cool million pooled together by agents to bribe a screwball offer.

Like…the amount of 15 I’m honestly fine with. I never wanted to re-sign him and don’t think he will repeat his feats another 3 years.

I wanted to trade him a year ahead of this, however, no GM on a hot seat would do that. State of GM was not same as state of the franchise. That’s the sign to look for…long term franchise health is already compromised.

So here we are.

The 15 I could believe. The crazy de-escalators and new language is unbelievable on the bears part.

Like an employee comes to you in good faith and you try to screw them? This was not the time for new language and Poles had to know that.

Weird ass shit.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Super

He's got a month to-go before the season starts......off the PUP today so technically tomm he's a no-show/non participant if he's not practicing

That wasnt the argument. The point was he cant be in matetial breach of contract when he has fulfilled all his obligations to date.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
“He’s not a top-five linebacker for me. Not right now anyway… My top-five stack linebackers? Shaq Leonard, Fred Warner, Demario Davis, Micah Parsons and I still love Lavonte David. I thought De’Vondre Campbell was better than Roquan last year. He made more plays.”

Said NFL Executive discussing Roquan Smith to the Chicago Tribune’s Brad Biggs

How can anybody expect Poles to sign Smith to new LARGE contract with out newer playing a down in new scheme? If Poles would do this he would look like a fool.
There are advanced metrics that favor Smith. He led the NFL in Football Outsiders’ “stops” metric with 93. Stops are defined as tackles, assists or pass breakups that stopped an offensive play short of success.

Smith’s pass-coverage stats also separate him from Leonard and Warner.

According to Pro Football Reference, Smith has allowed only two touchdowns in coverage, both in his rookie season. Leonard has allowed nine touchdowns; Warner has allowed 10. Over the past three seasons, opposing quarterbacks have averaged 75.9, 59.6 and 76.8 passer ratings when throwing at Smith.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Schefter on Waddle & Silvy saying the Bears actually made a compelling offer, and that he ran it by other teams to make sure.

“MY VIEW FROM THE OUTSIDE IS THAT THE BEARS HAVE MADE A NUMBER OF WHAT SOUNDS LIKE, TO ME, COMPELLING OFFERS. NOW I COULD BE PROVEN OTHERWISE. I’VE CHATTED ABOUT SOME OFFERS WITH SOME OTHER PEOPLE CONNECTED TO THE BEARS AND I’VE RUN THOSE NUMBERS PAST OTHER TEAMS AND THEY’RE LIKE, ‘WOW.’ IN THEIR MIND, THEY FEEL LIKE IT’S FAIR. OBVIOUSLY, ROQUAN SMITH DOESN’T. HE FEELS LIKE HE’S BEING MISTREATED. THAT’S HIS PERSPECTIVE. WE’LL SEE WHERE THIS GOES.”

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Schefter on Waddle & Silvy saying the Bears actually made a compelling offer, and that he ran it by other teams to make sure.

“MY VIEW FROM THE OUTSIDE IS THAT THE BEARS HAVE MADE A NUMBER OF WHAT SOUNDS LIKE, TO ME, COMPELLING OFFERS. NOW I COULD BE PROVEN OTHERWISE. I’VE CHATTED ABOUT SOME OFFERS WITH SOME OTHER PEOPLE CONNECTED TO THE BEARS AND I’VE RUN THOSE NUMBERS PAST OTHER TEAMS AND THEY’RE LIKE, ‘WOW.’ IN THEIR MIND, THEY FEEL LIKE IT’S FAIR. OBVIOUSLY, ROQUAN SMITH DOESN’T. HE FEELS LIKE HE’S BEING MISTREATED. THAT’S HIS PERSPECTIVE. WE’LL SEE WHERE THIS GOES.”

Do you expect people connected with Bears and other teams to be objective.

Did he share it with agents?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
There are advanced metrics that favor Smith. He led the NFL in Football Outsiders’ “stops” metric with 93. Stops are defined as tackles, assists or pass breakups that stopped an offensive play short of success.

Smith’s pass-coverage stats also separate him from Leonard and Warner.

According to Pro Football Reference, Smith has allowed only two touchdowns in coverage, both in his rookie season. Leonard has allowed nine touchdowns; Warner has allowed 10. Over the past three seasons, opposing quarterbacks have averaged 75.9, 59.6 and 76.8 passer ratings when throwing at Smith.

Also, how did Campbell make more plays than Roquan? That is simply not true.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I kinda wish the Bears would just post what their offer is so we could judge for ourselves.

I know that’s not how things are done and probably bad for numerous reasons.

But it still would be nice if they said “our offer was XXX and he said no.”

That or leak it…. This wild speculation is obnoxious.

Same. Sadly, that probably would be seen as Bears getting nasty, even though it was the player who first went to the media to air his grievances and accusations against the Bears, who had kept it in house per the league-wide norm. PUP was a nice gesture, which he shit on publicly.
Seems like NFLPA has decent verbiage in their rules to try to prevent this, but the onus is still on the player if he chooses to risk the fines, etc. for more.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
You don't publicly air a player's paper, especially during an argument. That'd be a one-way ticket to destroying whatever relationship is left.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That wasnt the argument. The point was he cant be in matetial breach of contract when he has fulfilled all his obligations to date.
It's true but Poles did him a solid by putting him on the PUP and Quan now gave him a reason to rescind it. 'I'm healthy but don't want to be here will do that.'

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Tomorrow he can be

No he can't. Missing one day would not be a material breach that results in losing an accrued season. Would have to miss several days.

Tomorrow they can fine him which is different. If he wants to continue fighting then I expect him to do individual drills as he ramps up and then to come down with an injury prior to Team drills.

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
No he can't. Missing one day would not be a material breach that results in losing an accrued season. Would have to miss several days.

Tomorrow they can fine him which is different. If he wants to continue fighting then I expect him to do individual drills as he ramps up and then to come down with an injury prior to Team drills.
I certainly hope Roquan is smarter than you on that then. Do you really think that would play well with everything we know about Poles and Flus so far? I guess if he really does want to be traded…

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I certainly hope Roquan is smarter than you on that then. Do you really think that would play well with everything we know about Poles and Flus so far? I guess if he really does want to be traded…
Half the team is on the injury list right now so wpuld be hard for Poles and Bears to prove Quan isn't actually injured.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Half the team is on the injury list right now so wpuld be hard for Poles and Bears to prove Quan isn't actually injured.
I am not sure this fight is coming in this particular situation (at least I hope its not) but eventually the fake injury thing is going to blow up big for someone.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
You realize they have actual doctors on staff, right? Besides, there’s absolutely no one that would believe it was anything more than a stunt.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
You realize they have actual doctors on staff, right? Besides, there’s absolutely no one that would believe it was anything more than a stunt.
Good luck finding any doctor to ever say somebody is a hundred percent healthy definitively.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Wow, you are shockingly unaware of how things work. Do you know how mds judge a patients pain? On a patient reported scale of 1-10