Roquan taken off the PUP list

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
An article from 2017 about Illinois law has nothing to do with what I said. I’m not interested in going down the vortex with you.

The Bears ie the McCaskeys in particular supported the law that the NFLPA felt disadvantaged the players hence why they retaliated by advising players steer clear of Bears.

You will note Pace overpaid for several FAs after this all went down.

Smith told the "Spiegel & Parkins Show" on 670 The Score, a CBS Sports Radio station, that the Bears are behind the bill, saying they "lined up a lobbyist to promote the bill."

"The Bears' owners are behind it as well, to be blunt, it's just another way to bankroll the coffers of the rich owners who own these teams at the expense of the players who actually do all the work," he said.

And then Smith threatened to deter free agents from signing with the Bears.

"I will tell you from the bottom of my heart that this union will tell every potential free agent player, if this bill passes, to not come to the Bears," Smith said. "Because, think about it, if you're a free agent player and you have an opportunity to go play somewhere else where you can get lifetime medical for the injury you're going to have, isn't a smarter financial decision to go to a team where a bill like this hasn't passed?"

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oh so now we're just going to ignore the news we don't like.

Aren't you a PFF guy?

Not ignoring it. There are conflicting stories so I am going with the guy who has some sense of journalistic integrity not the guy that whores himself to teams for scoops.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Schefter just came in and said the Bears offer was more than fair.
Need to see the grungy details when evaluating NFL contracts. It's all about the guaranteed $$$, not about the glitzy 5x$20M numbers that the media locks on to. When Roquan held off on signing his 1st contract, it was over some obscure clause about being able to void his contract guarantees for an on-field, out-of-play suspension. Roquan ultimately won that one. Shefty can look at a 5x$20M number and say its more-than-fair-market, but if the guaranteed part isn't there or there's T's & C's that put the guaranteed part at risk, then it may not really be a fair market offer at all.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
An article from 2017 about Illinois law has nothing to do with what I said. I’m not interested in going down the vortex with you.

I wondered how this thread got 3 pages in the time it took me to do a couple levels of a puzzle game. Then I saw Remy's name in all the replies. I don't even care to open them to see what kind of vortex BS he's spewing.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Not true
Skipping training camp comes at a hefty cost with players facing fines of $40,000 a day for players on a rookie contract and $50,000 a day for players on a veteran contract.
And easily circumvented. Imagine Roquan dressing, going to the practice field and getting his ramp up days as he loafs around the field. Once his ramp up days are over, he can suddenly get some strange tweak or feeling and be out until a new contract is signed or he is traded or is forced to play or sit out a part of the season.

As an aside, I really do not understand why people are so upset with Roquan with what he has done. People keep saying that Roquan does not have anyone negotiating his contract. This is untrue. When Roquan got rid of his negotiating team, it did not mean that he had no one negotiating his contract. It meant that Roquan made himself his own contract negotiator. It meant that Roquan had the ability, responsibility and need to use every trick in the book as a contract negotiator to get what he wanted.

So training camp came along and he sat in as a football player and asked for a trade as a contract negotiator.

Who else in 2022 sat in? Metcalf, Samuel and Diontae Johnson all sat in training camp because their contract negotiators told them to do so.

Who else asked for a trade in 2022? Samuel asked for a trade before the draft.

What do all of these players have in common? They all listened to their contract negotiators and got new deals recently.

Why are people so upset with Roquan for doing the same exact thing that these other players did to get their new deals?

dignan

Liked Posts:
It gets more interesting - there's a provision in the CBA that a player will lose an accrued season if they don't report to camp by the 30th day before the first regular season game. That magic date would be tomorrow, 8/11. Hold-ins are not excepted either:

A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which (i) he failed to report to the Club's preseason training camp on that player's mandatory reporting date; or (ii) the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time, unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family.

Reactions: Myk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It gets more interesting - there's a provision in the CBA that a player will lose an accrued season if they don't report to camp by the 30th day before the first regular season game. That magic date would be tomorrow, 8/11. Hold-ins are not excepted either:

A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which (i) he failed to report to the Club's preseason training camp on that player's mandatory reporting date; or (ii) the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time, unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family.
Quan reported and fulfilled all duties required of him while on PUP as he attended meetings and practices.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I kinda wish the Bears would just post what their offer is so we could judge for ourselves.

I know that’s not how things are done and probably bad for numerous reasons.

But it still would be nice if they said “our offer was XXX and he said no.”

That or leak it…. This wild speculation is obnoxious.
Hmmm. I think you are well aware that both message boards, social media as well as sports talk radio are all about wild speculation. With the latter making a consistent living off of it. A leak doesn't solve anything, with answers it will just bring more speculation. People love them some rabbit holes.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Because players and agents will take note of this.

Then he is an idiot because players and agents will care about this.
No they won't. It's starting to become clear that Noshowquan is being an unreasonable bitch. He tossed the gloves off and Poles, today, knocked his as s out.

Poles leaked the offer which: Schefter took the offer to other teams and people around the league and he got a unilateral response that "damn, that's a good deal."

Players and agents would certainly take notice if Poles Paced up his first extension.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
He didnt skip training camp as he is present.

As for practicing not that hard to pull up lame with a soft tissue injury that Bears cant prove isnt real.
Well the Bears have cleared him, so they are no longer onboard with him faking an injury. So if he refuses to practice while healthy, he most certainly be fined in the building or not.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No they won't. It's starting to become clear that Noshowquan is being an unreasonable bitch. He tossed the gloves off and Poles, today, knocked his as s out.

Poles leaked the offer which: Schefter took the offer to other teams and people around the league and he got a unilateral response that "damn, that's a good deal."

Players and agents would certainly take notice if Poles Paced up his first extension.

Lol again Schefter is a stooge for teams. This is well known. I will believe that when the offer is leaked fo agents or the public.
Well the Bears have cleared him, so they are no longer onboard with him faking an injury. So if he refuses to practice while healthy, he most certainly be fined in the building or not.

Hence why I said he can come down with a soft tissue injury. If I were him I do individual drills like Jenkins did and then come down with an injury prior to team drills.

And the point I was making is skipping TC results in mandatory fines that the team can't waive. Coming to camp and skipping practice gives the team the right to fine him but do not think it is mandatory.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Potential?

No better way to tell potential free agents to fuck off than treat your current upcoming FA players like trash.

We're going to be the team giving out those Kirk deals if we start fining roquan. Players will always side with him. Would be a very bad look.
Or.............

It blows up in Smith's face.

'Upcoming FA players' might learn that if you show unprofessionally, and try to represent yourself, and get but hurt about contractual stuff, you might find yourself not getting paid, maybe holding out the entire year only to have the Bears holding the franchise tag, or maybe just being traded to a team that sucks and then watch Poles build a winning team in Chicago.

Reactions: Myk

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
“He’s not a top-five linebacker for me. Not right now anyway… My top-five stack linebackers? Shaq Leonard, Fred Warner, Demario Davis, Micah Parsons and I still love Lavonte David. I thought De’Vondre Campbell was better than Roquan last year. He made more plays.”

Said NFL Executive discussing Roquan Smith to the Chicago Tribune’s Brad Biggs

How can anybody expect Poles to sign Smith to new LARGE contract with out newer playing a down in new scheme? If Poles would do this he would look like a fool.

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
“He’s not a top-five linebacker for me. Not right now anyway… My top-five stack linebackers? Shaq Leonard, Fred Warner, Demario Davis, Micah Parsons and I still love Lavonte David. I thought De’Vondre Campbell was better than Roquan last year. He made more plays.”

Said NFL Executive discussing Roquan Smith to the Chicago Tribune’s Brad Biggs

How can anybody expect Poles to sign Smith to new LARGE contract with out newer playing a down in new scheme? If Poles would do this he would look like a fool.
Agreed. The Bears have the franchise option. Smith won’t sit and lose value. The team sucks this year anyways. Poles needs to set the tone here. If he caves to the McCaskets here he’s screwed. Poles has all the leverage here and I think is handling this well so far.

I don’t think you can trade Smith right now because teams don’t want to deal with him not having an agent. So a first rounder is unlikely.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems like he has little to no leverage and representing yourself is.....dubious at best. Good luck buddy!