Roquan was sought after by some of the best agents and he turned them all down

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ok so sports agents typically make 5-15% of player contracts and 10-20% of endorsements.

Except the NFL capped the allowable fee at 3%. The NBA at 4%.

NFL players pay 3% for big agencies and top agents. But you sounded so certain and sure of yourself without any merit. Typical CCS propagandist. Winning is prerogative over truth for the simple minded.

@remydat @iueyedoc

"Powerful agents established contact with Smith and sought to represent him in the ensuing years, even offering to collect just a 1% fee – less than the 3% standard – for the chance to work with him."

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Man…he passed up discount representation? Wtf?

I’m out.

They deserve each other (Bears and Smith), is my only takeaway. This won’t end well for either party!

Reactions: Myk

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
At some point it's just being stubborn or having someone give you very bad advice.

He has killed his trade value and also hurt his overall value. Teams will consider this if he hits free agency.

Reactions: Myk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Stories/articles, from admittedly ANONYMOUS sources, say that teams aren't really willing to give up assets to trade for a guy that plays a non premium position then sign him to big money. Not worth it in today's NFL.

A LB that can cover TEs, backs and slot WRs is pretty valuable. That is precisely why Leonard and Warner got 19m a year. Quan hasn't given up a TD in coverage since his rookie year.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
A LB that can cover TEs, backs and slot WRs is pretty valuable. That is precisely why Leonard and Warner got 19m a year. Quan hasn't given up a TD in coverage since his rookie year.

That's great. Still doesn't play a premium position in today's NFL. On a team full of holes without any major offensive weapons or decent OLine.............after trading picks for a supposed franchise QB. The team needs to be set up to make sure Fields has every opportunity to flourish. Giving Smith a ton of money is not going to help the situation.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Hopefully his "agent" explains this to him and he signs. Once the season starts I think he likely plays it out and becomes a free agent. Really bad situation to lose a player like that and get nothing but a comp pick

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Where are you guys getting 1% fees?

I’ve seen NFL agents % before and they sounded outrageous not reasonable.

According to the internet the NFLPA limited the fee to 3% and that limit has been dropped to 1.5%.

I'm over this narrative that 'Smith is a headcase.' Why? Because he is going to get one big contract in his career so he wants as much money as possible? If anyone of us were in this situation we would do the same. This doesn't make him a headcase.

My personal belief is Smith thought he could get a deal done himself because him and the Bears have always been on solid footing. He's been a productive player and was a high draft pick. And in his defense, if Pace was still here, Smith would have received what he wanted most likely.

Insert Poles who came in, played hardball and doesn't know Roquan. Poles is likely being selective before handing out his first big contract. Anybody in a new job wants to 'prove themselves' and handing out a 100M contract right off the bat would probable make him seem like a doormat.

It's a safe guess that those who can't see he's a headcase are equal headcases because they can't see it.

1) Holds out on his rookie contract. Doesn't let an agent work things out while he works to learn the game as it applies in the NFL. REFUSES TO WORK.
2) Holds out on his 5th year option. Doesn't let an agent work out an extension during his 5th year like other players. REFUSES TO WORK.
3) Takes offense because others don't value him as much as he values himself. Uses that as an excuse to REFUSE TO WORK.
4) Refuses to use an agent. Won't pay $200K-$600K to an agent, risks multiple $500K fines because his unprofessional method of contract negotiations is to REFUSE TO WORK.
5) Instead of an agent he goes to a scammer.

6) Pretends to be the downtrodden only making $29,000,000 on his first contract and wanting around $20,000,000/yr on his future contracts when his presence on the team hasn't turned them into winners.

When you're under contract and you want to get an extension guaranteed ahead of time it is not in good faith to refuse to work. That is against your employer and against the CBA you're working under. It's also against your own talent and health further hurting your chances of a long term big pay day.
So far his contracts have been set in stone. His option wasn't to not work, his option was to not take a job in the NFL. But he puts himself above everyone else. If he didn't like something in his contract like with the rookie one he could've worked while still working things out.
At best he's a narcissist. More likely he has a paranoid psychosis because he can't see the agent fee is less than the fines he could get because his default negotiating plan is to refuse to work when the group he's working under has negotiated that out of the question.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's great. Still doesn't play a premium position in today's NFL. On a team full of holes without any major offensive weapons or decent OLine.............after trading picks for a supposed franchise QB. The team needs to be set up to make sure Fields has every opportunity to flourish. Giving Smith a ton of money is not going to help the situation.

You are conflating issues.

Smith’s snaps against the Browns have more importance than previous years because he’s learning the weakside linebacker role in Eberflus’ defense. After the three-technique defensive tackle, the weakside linebacker is arguably the most important position in the scheme. Eberflus described it as a “hot spot.”

“He’ll have a lot of action in there,” Eberflus said recently. “And again, I think he’ll enjoy it.”

First, it is clearly a premier position in this D and in fact the 2nd most important per anyone that knows anything about Cover 2. Smith would know this hence why making this claim would get you nowhere in negotiations.

2nd, I would lean towards not paying him as well but if that is the case then there is no point keeping him in a non-competitive year. Should have just traded him at the start of FA. If you want to build around Fields and not pay an Off Ball LB big money they trade him. As it stands we are using up 10m or so and possibly 18-19m next year for someone with no long term future on the term if that is your position. So that is 29-29 that could be spent on other positions plus a draft pick or two.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hopefully his "agent" explains this to him and he signs. Once the season starts I think he likely plays it out and becomes a free agent. Really bad situation to lose a player like that and get nothing but a comp pick
Third rounder won’t be bad.
2nd rounder is really a dream scenario with a perfect trading partner in a bad situation.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are conflating issues.

Smith’s snaps against the Browns have more importance than previous years because he’s learning the weakside linebacker role in Eberflus’ defense. After the three-technique defensive tackle, the weakside linebacker is arguably the most important position in the scheme. Eberflus described it as a “hot spot.”

“He’ll have a lot of action in there,” Eberflus said recently. “And again, I think he’ll enjoy it.”

First, it is clearly a premier position in this D and in fact the 2nd most important per anyone that knows anything about Cover 2. Smith would know this hence why making this claim would get you nowhere in negotiations.

2nd, I would lean towards not paying him as well but if that is the case then there is no point keeping him in a non-competitive year. Should have just traded him at the start of FA. If you want to build around Fields and not pay an Off Ball LB big money they trade him. As it stands we are using up 10m or so and possibly 18-19m next year for someone with no long term future on the term if that is your position. So that is 29-29 that could be spent on other positions plus a draft pick or two.

A lot of action could be bad for him.

What he is great at is a lot of run and chase action, whether cutting off RB side to side or covering a TE.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
The fact that Roquan's main mode of advice is a guy who is not allowed to take direct part in negotiations and is not allowed to speak to teams on Roquan's behalf is reason enough to say, hey, maybe Roquan should've just signed one of the many, many representatives who are certified by the NFLPA.

Let's not forget that Saint Omni was courting a tampering charge by trying to work out trade deals with teams before Roquan was approved to seek a trade (something the Bears still haven't approved, and likely won't).

And, even if the Bears do approve Roquan to seek a trade, Saint Omni is still not allowed to speak to teams on Roquan's behalf, because he's not a certified agent.

Using Saint Omni as your main representation is a fucking mess, no matter how you slice it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Quan cant be charged for Tampering. Only the team or represenatives of the team can.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if it's possible Smith doesn't want to share his money with anyone but family... if that's the case I don't blame him, but I still think paying for one of their advice, might be wise, even if they don't officially represent him.... Have not read thread just a thought I had looking at topic.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Bears need to takeaway Kittle or Deebo one on one to free up everyone else.

Roquan should be in several of those one on one deals.

Huge game for RO!