*** RUMOR *** Aaron Rodgers to retire at end of year.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Starting the Rodgers drama early this year. Like playing "All I Want For Christmas Is You" in stores in October.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
It isnt that they are not accounting for it correctly. The dead cap hits are in the event someone is cut not traded or retired. The 40.3m is the unallocated signing bonus.

In the event he was cut the option bonus of $59m was guaranteed at signing so that would count agains the cap as well which is why they are showing a dead cap of 99m ie 40.3 SB and 59m guaranteed option bonus.

In the event he retires before 2023 then the 59m would not hit the cap because Rodgers voluntarily gave it up by retiring. Hence why I said in the main thread it is unlikely he would give up 59m.

That option bonus also triggers at the start of 2023 so if they waited until June 2 they would have to pay it out which means it would count against the cap unless they asked Rodgers for the money back.

Making things worse for Rodgers is that technically the Packers can in fact ask for the 40.3m back since he did not fulfill his contract and then it would not count against the cap so Rodgers would possibly be walking away from or have to pay back $99m if he retired.
But reading that guy's tweet, the retired dead cap in 2024 would be 68.2M and then in 2025 would be 76.8M So either way, the Packers are fucked unless they are able to trade him or he decides to play another 4 years. I mean, there is also the real possibility that he drops off like Manning did at 40 and is not worth that kind of money.

I am hoping that he retires, and takes the Jeopardy job to compensate for the lost 59M. Maybe they will pay him something similar.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
of all he learned from Favre, this was the lesson he took to heart the most... be an attention whore.

Dude is a great player, among the all time best, but he is an insufferable piece of me first trash.

I hope this season is a long slow grind of failure for him.
I think he hurt his shoulder last Sunday.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But reading that guy's tweet, the retired dead cap in 2024 would be 68.2M and then in 2025 would be 76.8M So either way, the Packers are fucked unless they are able to trade him or he decides to play another 4 years. I mean, there is also the real possibility that he drops off like Manning did at 40 and is not worth that kind of money.

I am hoping that he retires, and takes the Jeopardy job to compensate for the lost 59M. Maybe they will pay him something similar.

That is because the option bonus is paid over the life of the contract when it triggers but is guaranteed at the time he signs. So again in the event he is cut, they still would owe him 100% of the option bonus. In the event he retires then the portion of the SB and Option bonus not yet allocated would be returnable to the Pack if they chose to pursue it.

So here is the math. After 2023, there is 24.48m of unallocated SB over 3 years ie 8.16m a year. The option bonus is 58.3m of which 14.575m is paid in 2023. So that leaves 43.725m. So 43.725m plus the 24.48m is 68.205 which is the 68m being quoted as the dead cap in 2024.

But again that is if he were cut. If he retires then rather than take the 68m cap hit the Pack can ask for the 68m back because he did not fulfill the contract. They cant ask for money allocated to years before 2024 but that 68m is allocated to 2024 and beyond so technically Rodgers forfeits that if he retires.

If it were smaller the Pack might let it slide but I would be surprised if they just eat 68m. Even if they dont ask for all of it back any amount they do demand back would reduce the cap hit.

Finally the reason it increases after 2024 to 76.8m is he has another option bonus that becomes guaranteed in 2024 for future years in the amount of $47m. So after 2024, 16.32m of SB bonus remains then 29.15m (58.3-14.575m-14.575m) of the first option bonus and 31.33 of 2nd option bonus (47m-15.68m). Add that all up and it is 76.8m

Last edited:

Bust

Liked Posts:
zero chance he leaves all that money . . .

duh

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
That is because the option bonus is paid over the life of the contract when it triggers but is guaranteed at the time he signs. So again in the event he is cut, they still would owe him 100% of the option bonus. In the event he retires then the portion of the SB and Option bonus not yet allocated would be returnable to the Pack if they chose to pursue it.

So here is the math. After 2023, there is 24.48m of unallocated SB over 3 years ie 8.16m a year. The option bonus is 58.3m of which 14.575m is paid in 2023. So that leaves 43.725m. So 43.725m plus the 24.48m is 68.205 which is the 68m being quoted as the dead cap in 2024.

But again that is if he were cut. If he retires then rather than take the 68m cap hit the Pack can ask for the 68m back because he did not fulfill the contract. They cant ask for money allocated to years before 2024 but that 68m is allocated to 2024 and beyond so technically Rodgers forfeits that if he retires.

If it were smaller the Pack might let it slide but I would be surprised if they just eat 68m. Even if they dont ask for all of it back any amount they do demand back would reduce the cap hit.

Finally the reason it increases after 2024 to 76.8m is he has another option bonus that becomes guaranteed in 2024 for future years in the amount of $47m. So after 2024, 16.32m of SB bonus remains then 29.15m (58.3-14.575m-14.575m) of the first option bonus and 31.33 of 2nd option bonus (47m-15.68m). Add that all up and it is 76.8m
Do we have legal precedence on asking for money back from players that retire? Could it go to court? I could easily see him playing hardball.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do we have legal precedence on asking for money back from players that retire? Could it go to court? I could easily see him playing hardball.

Yes Barry Sanders and CJ both had to return money.

It is entirely up to the team if you retire. Andrew Luck was not asked to return money as his retirement was due to injury and on better terms.

SB is paid on condition you fulfill entire contract. So any SB related to years you dont fulfill due to your voluntary retirement is repayable at the discretion of the team. That is why teams get to allocate the SB over the life of the contract because it is an upfront payment but under accounting principles you allocate over the life of the contract as it is earned.

Think of it as deferred revenue fore the player ie it is a liability to them repayable to the team until they fulfill terms of contract. Each year they fulfill reduces the liability which then becomes 0 once the contract is up and SB is fully earned.

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Yes Barry Sanders and CJ both had to return money.

It is entirely up to the team if you retire. Andrew Luck was not asked to return money as his retirement was due to injury and on better terms.

SB is paid on condition you fulfill entire contract. So any SB related to years you dont fulfill due to your voluntary retirement is repayable at the discretion of the team.
What I really hope happens is he just starts to royally suck but refuses to retire lol. Which could happen... I mean playing like Brady in your 40s is not likely.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
It's a breach of contract. Pretty simple. If a team cuts him that is their decision and they still have to pay what they guaranteed, but if he quits then he isn't fulfilling his end and obviously would give up any money he was paid for future performance

Rise

Liked Posts:
No way this diva walks away from that money. This is just another way to keep him in the news and be a distraction to what’s happening on the field. Also probably a strategy to get the packers to go all in for once.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
I really prefer a career ending injury to get him to go away. A very painful injury.