Run, Justin, run! Bears OL ranked 27th by PFF

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Interesting...

Cody Whitehair - Whitehair has graded out at 70.0 or better in four of his five years while playing mostly left guard and center. Last year, he recorded an 83.8 mark as a run blocker but just a 47.0 mark in pass protection.

Sam Mustipher, who earned an 59.5 overall last season, ranking 29th among centers.
Point two is irrelevant as Dieter the Maneater will destroy all who dare to oppose him, including Musthaveher!!

Grape

Liked Posts:
PFF had Trubisky as the number 1 rated QB in the draft....then when he played bad they said he sucked.......

Deep Insights....when PFF is wrong they just change their score to correct for their mistakes...

Basically PFF tells you when a player does well after the fact. Oh boy. Their draft predictability provides no more insight than the average draft site.
Uhh, maybe because one grade was his college grade and the other one is his pro grade, and they did that because Trubisky was good in college and sucked as a pro? LOL. I guess PFF isn't allowed to change their grades on players once they make the NFL anymore because players stay the same and don't improve/regress!

You're telling me Pace didn't pick up Mitch's 5th year option because he was only trying to save face like PFF, and actually still thought that Mitch was good?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Uhh, maybe because one grade was his college grade and the other one is his pro grade, and they did that because Trubisky was good in college and sucked as a pro? LOL. I guess PFF isn't allowed to change their grades on players once they make the NFL anymore because players stay the same and don't improve/regress!

You're telling me Pace didn't pick up Mitch's 5th year option because he was only trying to save face like PFF, and actually still thought that Mitch was good?
PFFs shtick is to provide insight to future performance. They don’t.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
PFFs shtick is to provide insight to future performance. They don’t.

No their shtick is to provide data/grades on past performance. This should be self evident as that is what their subscription service is based on. NFL teams and others that subscribe to them are subscribing for the data related to past performance.

No one pays PFF directly for their predictions on future performance as most of their articles in that regard are free. Those articles are more marketing that supplements their actual core business. If you took away those articles they would still make money based on the data/grades of past performance. If you took away that data/grades on past performance they would make far less money and likely end up out of business because others like ESPN have more established brand when it comes to making predictions on future performance as they employ better opinion journalists. Hence why none of PFF's writers are household names.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There is more talent and depth than previous years.

We will see if that translates into better performance.

At a minimum they shouldn't be physically pushed around like they were in the past.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No their shtick is to provide data/grades on past performance. This should be self evident as that is what their subscription service is based on. NFL teams and others that subscribe to them are subscribing for the data related to past performance.

No one pays PFF directly for their predictions on future performance as most of their articles in that regard are free. Those articles are more marketing that supplements their actual core business. If you took away those articles they would still make money based on the data/grades of past performance. If you took away that data/grades on past performance they would make far less money and likely end up out of business because others like ESPN have more established brand when it comes to making predictions on future performance as they employ better opinion journalists. Hence why none of PFF's writers are household names.
This though I do have some issue with their play grades since so many ore opinion based unlike hard stats. Mustipher likely warranted a low grade as his 1st outings were not great but he got better and there was a lot of value added with his line calls etc as he got more familiar and players could trust each other's assignments better.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

At a minimum they shouldn't be physically pushed around like they were in the past.
This and FIFY. It seems more like a plan with more stability this year and less of last year's cluster fuck. They were throwing stuff against a wall to see what stuck.

Last edited:

greg23

Liked Posts:

At a minimum they should be physically pushed around like they were in the past.

You would hope....however 40% of the line is still undersized by nfl standards

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Sooo being the 31 most athletic tackle in the last 34 years means he is a RT only... I can't fathom how there have only been 30 LT in 34 years in the NFL, of course I'm following the narrative of all the negative Nancies in this board.Screenshot_20210608-112619997.jpg

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
it has nothing to do with difficulty, but technique. some are better suited for their steps on the left or right side.

and probably simmons or a vet who they have yet to bring in, assuming Jenkins goes back to right in this hypothetical.

either way you put it there will be a hole at the side Jenkins doesn’t play at.
They'll leave him there and give him a TE until he gets his chops if needed. He may have fallen a bit for medicals even if not a big deal. He miss the end of last season after tweaking his back.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This though I do have some issue with their play grades since so many ore opinion based unlike hard stats. Mustipher likely warranted a low grade as his 1st outings were not great but he got better and there was a lot of value added with his line calls etc as he got more familiar and players could trust each other's assignments better.
Sure their grades are by no means perfect. They can never account for the impact of his making line calls and they are more a measure of consistency than greatness. You can miss a blocking assignment on a play that did not actually impact the play and still get a -2. You can then make a key block on a 30 yard run and get a positive 2. In the end you net score would be 0 even though it is obvious the latter play was more impactful than the former. There is just no way to account for that in the grading system.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sure their grades are by no means perfect. They can never account for the impact of his making line calls and they are more a measure of consistency than greatness. You can miss a blocking assignment on a play that did not actually impact the play and still get a -2. You can then make a key block on a 30 yard run and get a positive 2. In the end you net score would be 0 even though it is obvious the latter play was more impactful than the former. There is just no way to account for that in the grading system.
I have more issue with assignment guessing.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have more issue with assignment guessing.

Yeah but that would be an issue with anyone outside an org evaluating a player without the benefit of knowing the assignments on a given player and affect all players.

Over the course of a season that stuff would smooth out unless you telling me that a given player has an assignment that an evaluator is only getting wrong for him but not all the other players being graded.

Without knowing the assignments if Mustipher is a 60 and someone else is an 80, it just doesnt make a lot of sense to presume that is because somehow an evaluator is missing something with the former that he is getting right for the latter. So the point is this effect would impact all players and unlikely to alter their relative grade.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Was listening to a little bit of these guys last night and when talking about the bears the main guy with the dark curly hair was lamenting the loss of Charles Leno because he was just solid.

I get that it is hard to know every single player in the league and Leno was decent for some time but Leno was not solid last year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Was listening to a little bit of these guys last night and when talking about the bears the main guy with the dark curly hair was lamenting the loss of Charles Leno because he was just solid.

I get that it is hard to know every single player in the league and Leno was decent for some time but Leno was not solid last year.

He was per grades. If you arent watching a guy religiously then you are going to defer to independent grades not the opinions of Bears fans who obviously are more biased and emotional which doesnt mean Bears fans are wrong about Leno but it is not a good metric to go by.

Leno wasnt on the market for long so it is quite possible he had worn out his welcome with Bears fans but was more well regarded as a serviceable LT around the NFL.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah but that would be an issue with anyone outside an org evaluating a player without the benefit of knowing the assignments on a given player and affect all players.

Over the course of a season that stuff would smooth out unless you telling me that a given player has an assignment that an evaluator is only getting wrong for him but not all the other players being graded.

Without knowing the assignments if Mustipher is a 60 and someone else is an 80, it just doesnt make a lot of sense to presume that is because somehow an evaluator is missing something with the former that he is getting right for the latter. So the point is this effect would impact all players and unlikely to alter their relative grade.
I think some schemes stress their aptitude more than others and also different guys doing it for different teams. Lots of variables when you get into overall scores or rankings but still helpful is used with a jaundiced eye.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This could be the 27th line and it could be the 17th line.

Losing Leno is a risk, but Jenkins could be much better.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

One of their selling points is the predictive capabilities...

from their website

"PFF grading is both descriptive and predictive, and in many cases, we’ve debunked myths about traditional stats, showing that the production grade is a better indicator of what happened on the field and what will happen going forward."

in Fact here is the PFF experts prediction on the division winners and wild card teams from last year.....

Final PFF analyst predictions for the 2020 NFL season | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

The average fan could have done just as good a job......also if they are so scientific, why are so many of their experts disagreeing with each other

also lol at someone predicting Cousins as the league MVP

Last edited: