Ryan Poles "For The Record" Registry

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
The single thread for the HC & GM searches rumors & comments seemed to work out pretty
well with over 100K contributions. Keeping that mostly in one place.

So this is for Ryan Poles and if you think he will be a "success" in his new role as GM.

We, all at various times like to predict, brag etc. about various opinions or predictions and how they
will workout or who will win the big game.
At times there are arguments on this board about who said what, when so please post your opinion
on whether the Bears got the right guy this time and down the road in a few years we can see who was
right or who was wrong.

You can say a simple YES or NO or add a bunch of qualifiers but you must give a clear opinion one way or the other.
For the record all in one place!
** Is there a way to have the mods save this thread for future argument settlements or discussions?
I'm a YES!

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Yes, but he will grow into it. Expect plenty of mistakes Ryan Pace style. He is young and inexperienced as a front office person. His eye for talent will hopefully get us there in the end but there is a learning curve we will have to deal with.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
For me it is all about relativity to other GM's. I think Pace made some massive blunders with Nagy and Mitch. But in the end he left at about middle of the pack for GM's, somewhere between top 15-20.

I think success means an improvement on that and I think Poles will do that, so that we can have a top 10 GM, as opposed to hovering in top 20.

I also think the landscape of the NFC is working out well for the Bears. The elite young QBs (Mahomes, Allen, Herbert) are mostly in the AFC. WE have Payton retiring, Rodgers and Brady on the way out, and our division pretty weak for the taking.

Last edited:

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I called Ryan Pace an idiot the day he was hired

greg23

Liked Posts:
No is a pretty strong favorite at this point

1).he's young and inexperienced
2) he's got limited resources in his 1st season
3) he's got limited cap space and a few awful contracts
4) its easier to fail than succeed in this role

But most importantly

5) the people hiring him have shown a knack for having zero ability to identify quality hires

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think Ryan Poles will fix the O-Line and beef up the D Line.

Whether he ends up a good GM overall - I need to wait and see, because I have no idea.

marioworld

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm not afraid of being wrong. Usually, I have high hopes on any new addition to the Bears, including trades and draft picks. It's a no-lose situation, the only one I'm disappointing is myself (disappointment jokes at my expense expected).

I'd like to withhold judgement until he chooses a coach, that will be a big tell, you may have jumped the shark with this thread.

That being said, YES. I do think he's going to do well. Big "if", everyone gets on board and Fields is what he showed in his highlights, Superbowl all the way.

And yes, I am a meatball.

edit: forgot the caps

marioworld

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You wait until its clear and then claim you called someone something when they were hired.

How about you step out now on Ryan Poles?
I still doubt it's the same Omelet, has the same avatar from CBMB, after changing it from Butkus (good pic of him, standing over the guy like Ali).

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't hate the hire. Hated Pace from Day 1. so idk.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
For me it all comes down to if our QB works out. All the best GMs have a good QB. Without a good QB he will fail like the rest. So the question really is can Fields be that QB?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cool, let’s call it right now so 3-5 years from now we can all pretend like it wasn’t a 100% guess

For serious.

Right now I am in the same spot I was seven years ago. So happy the previous guy got canned that I am willing to give anyone a chance.

Just slightly less loathing this time around because Ryan Pace did not sign Jay Cutler to a seven year contract before getting the boot.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
No one knows anything on first time GM’s. It’s pretty pointless to predict.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
No is a pretty strong favorite at this point

1).he's young and inexperienced
2) he's got limited resources in his 1st season
3) he's got limited cap space and a few awful contracts
4) its easier to fail than succeed in this role

But most importantly

5) the people hiring him have shown a knack for having zero ability to identify quality hires
Yet, it would appear he had options like Vikqeens perhaps. What exactly did he see in the Chicago Bears make up and roster that he thought he could work with, which made it his best option? That has me curious as interviews are two way streets.

If he's right in what he sees, and believes he can work with it, then yea, he will work out. Why would he take the job otherwise? He has been touted for 2 years now as a solid choice for GM and has interviewed the last 2 years. I would think he would have eventually been given a shot, so again, why did he choose Chicago if it is just a failed affair? Makes no sense as putting failed GM on a resume would really suck at his young age.

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
If he brings back Flores and Daboll (or another candidate) to the mix, we will know he’s not interested in setting for the final 3 picked by the Bears committee. It would be a good first step.

The Giants look like they favor these two and one of them most likely gets their job.

It still doesn’t mean he’ll be successful but it will show some independent thinking right from the start.