Ryan Poles "For The Record" Registry

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Cool, let’s call it right now so 3-5 years from now we can all pretend like it wasn’t a 100% guess
I started this thread to help you be able to easily call out all the ones who use revisionist history down the road.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The obsession on this forum to take a stance on something, and if you're wrong, get relentlessly roasted for the rest of your life for it. ?

I like Ryan Poles a lot. I'm very optimistic. But we'll see what he does. I don't think anyone can really evaluate him as a GM for a few years.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
For me it is all about relativity to other GM's. I think Pace made some massive blunders with Nagy and Mitch. But in the end he left at about middle of the pack for GM's, somewhere between top 15-20.

I think success means an improvement on that and I think Poles will do that, so that we can have a top 10 GM, as opposed to hovering in top 20.

I also think the landscape of the NFC is working out well for the Bears. The elite young QBs (Mahomes, Allen, Herbert) are mostly in the AFC. WE have Payton retiring, Rodgers and Brady on the way out, and our division pretty weak for the taking.
So, I hear you but are you on record as a Yes or No?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
No is a pretty strong favorite at this point

1).he's young and inexperienced
2) he's got limited resources in his 1st season
3) he's got limited cap space and a few awful contracts
4) its easier to fail than succeed in this role

But most importantly

5) the people hiring him have shown a knack for having zero ability to identify quality hires
Yes but - are you a yes or no, hopefully he has a few years to prove it one way or another.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I'm not afraid of being wrong. Usually, I have high hopes on any new addition to the Bears, including trades and draft picks. It's a no-lose situation, the only one I'm disappointing is myself (disappointment jokes at my expense expected).

I'd like to withhold judgement until he chooses a coach, that will be a big tell, you may have jumped the shark with this thread.

That being said, YES. I do think he's going to do well. Big "if", everyone gets on board and Fields is what he showed in his highlights, Superbowl all the way.

And yes, I am a meatball.

edit: forgot the caps
I plan to do another thread for the new HC when they get hired so we have a record of both.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
For me it all comes down to if our QB works out. All the best GMs have a good QB. Without a good QB he will fail like the rest. So the question really is can Fields be that QB?
A gut feel or opinion is what makes this interesting so are you a yes or no?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Yeah. I'm not going to have any opinion at all until these 2 things happen at a minimum. And even then, it will barely be an opinion for at least a year or two.
I take it you're not a gambler and none of know for sure but if you don't offer a yes or no you can't come back down the road crowing how you "called it".

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I take it you're not a gambler and none of know for sure but if you don't offer a yes or no you can't come back down the road crowing how you "called it".
I don't do that. Unless I'm joking around, or am really sure about something.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Impossible to tell at this time. But from reading some of the posts on CCS regarding him, I think the Bears made made an educated guess . On paper, he seems like a winner.
Thanks for reading and answering the post request, as I've said none of us know for sure or we would have a different job.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like to think Polian would have seen through Pace back in 2015. I also like to think that Polian was the one in the room that learned the most from the 15 GM candidate interviews, and was the most listened-to guy in the room. The process gave them Poles, who was supposedly coveted by the Vikings, and was a finalist fo the NY job. He reportedly played a major role in rebuilding the Chief's OL this year.

Not crazy about the three head coaching "finalists." I'll feel much better about Poles if he brings more people in and hires one of his own guys. H'e got the tape of all the HC interviews. How can you not bring in Daboll, as he's exactly what you thought you were getting in Nagy.

Optimistic about Poles. Lets see his HC choice

Last edited:

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
No, dumbfuck. I made thew Pace call based on info I had on him from an inside source. I am still assessing the new guy
After you assess come back with a yes or no so you don't have to defend yourself later, say 24 hours or so from now. Thanks,

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
Mathematically- "no" is the correct way to bet- given that most GM's "fail". But- I'll vote yes because of Fields- he keeps the GM and coach afloat and makes them all look good.