Ryan Poles "For The Record" Registry

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I fear the Bears are making the same organizational mistakes they did with Pace. They hired a young GM with no one above him capable of evaluating his work. George McCaskey certainly isn't that guy. I'd feel much more comfortable if they brought in someone to lead football ops who has pelts on the wall.

Is Poles a good enough talent evaluator? Can he put together a strong scouting department? Can he manage free agency and the draft? Honestly, it's all a crap shoot. The first test will be seeing who he picks for HC...or if the Bears fuck that up again and force someone on him.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I don’t know anything about him so complete shot in the dark - but I expect George and co. To have higher % chance of fucking the pick up than getting it right so I’m blind guessing No and hoping to eat crow.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Obviously a guess, but I think Poles is going to outlast Pace. I think he will be better. I don't think I originally liked the Pace hire. Pace grew on me each year.

greg23

Liked Posts:
get your #calledit in now while you can
With George and Ted making the hiring decision; what could go wrong?

BTW.....love the extensive, exhaustive, no stone left unturned; search for a GM......they hired the first; and only; guy they interviewed face to face and did so about 5 minutes after he got to town.

Oh.....then shoved 3 HC candidates down his throat the next 24 hours for their in person interviews.

I sure as he'll hope he succeeds but the safe and most logical answer at this point is no...however his near term success (2-4 years) is mostly tied to Justin Fields...end of story.

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
Obviously a guess, but I think Poles is going to outlast Pace. I think he will be better. I don't think I originally liked the Pace hire. Pace grew on me each year.
I think Pace's biggest issue is he came up from the Saints and never knew anything else. So he was overly aggressive with everything and reckless with the cap, because down in NOLA they continuously kick the can down the road. If he nails the Trubisky pick and hires someone better than Nagy, we have a good chance of having a Superbowl now. The problem is he missed with both and failed to realize the overly aggressive style requires you to absolutely have that QB in place. Now rather than using assets to shore up the overall talent, he started using cap space and more picks towards fixing the QB position.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The single thread for the HC & GM searches rumors & comments seemed to work out pretty
well with over 100K contributions. Keeping that mostly in one place.

So this is for Ryan Poles and if you think he will be a "success" in his new role as GM.

We, all at various times like to predict, brag etc. about various opinions or predictions and how they
will workout or who will win the big game.
At times there are arguments on this board about who said what, when so please post your opinion
on whether the Bears got the right guy this time and down the road in a few years we can see who was
right or who was wrong.

You can say a simple YES or NO or add a bunch of qualifiers but you must give a clear opinion one way or the other.
For the record all in one place!
** Is there a way to have the mods save this thread for future argument settlements or discussions?
I'm a YES!
Major OP fail for asking a Yes/No question of the masses, but not putting in a damn voteable poll in the 1st post. ?‍♂️ Seriously man. Forums 102. It's a clear option when creating a post for a new thread.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
With George and Ted making the hiring decision; what could go wrong?

BTW.....love the extensive, exhaustive, no stone left unturned; search for a GM......they hired the first; and only; guy they interviewed face to face and did so about 5 minutes after he got to town.

Oh.....then shoved 3 HC candidates down his throat the next 24 hours for their in person interviews.

I sure as he'll hope he succeeds but the safe and most logical answer at this point is no...however his near term success (2-4 years) is mostly tied to Justin Fields...end of story.
They decided on Poles several months ago.

As far as the HC candidates, this is close to the Pace/Fox situation last time around

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he will do good building the OL and DL. If Justin is the real deal, then he should have no problems putting up Pro Bowl numbers with whoever is at WR and TE.

Question is, can Poles maintain our great defense and keep injecting depth? Can he find studs in the mid to late rounds like Angelo did?

Time will tell but consider me skeptical about defense. But I do believe he can build an offense since he knows it starts in the trenches.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
The single thread for the HC & GM searches rumors & comments seemed to work out pretty
well with over 100K contributions. Keeping that mostly in one place.

So this is for Ryan Poles and if you think he will be a "success" in his new role as GM.

We, all at various times like to predict, brag etc. about various opinions or predictions and how they
will workout or who will win the big game.
At times there are arguments on this board about who said what, when so please post your opinion
on whether the Bears got the right guy this time and down the road in a few years we can see who was
right or who was wrong.

You can say a simple YES or NO or add a bunch of qualifiers but you must give a clear opinion one way or the other.
For the record all in one place!
** Is there a way to have the mods save this thread for future argument settlements or discussions?
I'm a YES!

I'm a qualified YES.

I don't think the Bears are as bad as their 6-11 record. There was that Pittsburgh BS and the Ravens game. They gave the 49ers a good run, held up decently against Green Bay in that shootout, and they beat the Bengals, who are in the AFC Championship game.

They need to keep their defense healthy, and a healthy Mack with Quinn at either his average or his 2021 form, plus Gipson will do wonders for the passing defense.

Can he keep the assets on the team (the strong RB room, a young QB, and a defense that just needs a CB2 and SS), while fixing the O-Line and re-building the WR room? That is the big question.

smilebit

Liked Posts:
After seeing him pick Eferblus as HC I'm a definite no. Would've been nice to hear something about him telling George thar he's going to make his own list and do interviews outside of your picks. Poor Fields is going to go through a carousel of OC's now. If they're good they'll move in to bigger things in a few years and if they're bad they'll be replaced in a few years. I'll be more than happy to eat crow on this in three or four years if I'm wrong but I don't see this HC hitting as particularly motivating.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I fear the Bears are making the same organizational mistakes they did with Pace. They hired a young GM with no one above him capable of evaluating his work. George McCaskey certainly isn't that guy. I'd feel much more comfortable if they brought in someone to lead football ops who has pelts on the wall.

Is Poles a good enough talent evaluator? Can he put together a strong scouting department? Can he manage free agency and the draft? Honestly, it's all a crap shoot. The first test will be seeing who he picks for HC...or if the Bears fuck that up again and force someone on him.
Word is the interview with Omar Khan wasn't for GM but as a Teddy replacement next year, that would be ideal with Poles reporting to him as that steady hand he may need. I would like that plan.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I'm a Big-Time YES!!!......... its more of a "gut feeling" than anything else. The game really is won in the trenches, and being Poles was an O-lineman he's well aware of that fact. I think he'll prioritize both O-line & Front-7 of the D this off season and next, through FA & the draft. By 2024 he'll have a SB contender and hopefully a SB victory within 5. There is some talent on this team, so he's not coming into a total rebuild situation. However, the new coaching staff will need to take the present and future talent to the next level. I'll be interested to c if Daniels is resigned. I hope he is. The OC & DC hires r crucial obviously. No one really knows, but we'll c. Again, I'm saying YES......and somebody give me an Amen! :oprah:

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Now that we have the draft and first half of FA to judge him on, wonder if anyones answers have changed from January.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Teddy & George hired him it's safe to say he's trash until proven otherwise.

Coaching hire and first draft will tell me a lot.
This poll was never about Poles. It's an optimist/pessimist Rorschach test.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Now that we have the draft and first half of FA to judge him on, wonder if anyones answers have changed from January.
My opinion of Poles has not changed so far. Like any other GM, he deserves at least two off seasons to make a difference.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Still nothing definitive but im leaning more towards being out on Poles than i was when this thread was created. No one talked about how void of talent this team was more than me. I still don't see it as an excuse to completely sit on your hands when it comes to offense while always spending your best resources on D.

So far i think its very easy for people to say Poles is doing a good job. With very little on this roster, he could have went many ways in the draft and still look like the patient smart guy. We've already seen him get a ton of credit for cutting players of the Pace regime. People acted like this isn't something that pace did too.

From the looks of it, Poles is going to get at least 2.5 years of cupcake phase with this fanbase.