Ryan Poles Head Coaching Interviews....

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
That year Joe Flacco made me ask this question about QBs in the playoffs. "Do I think this QB can put together 3-4 mistake free games and help their team win a title?" I thought about Cutler and said not a chance.

Flacco was on his shit that year. It took a little luck but he was impressive on that run. But i'll play devils advocate, over the course of that season, Flacco was Flacco. Caldwell just happened to be there. Sort of like when Erik Lambert credited Hackett with Ortons best season. It was Orton being Orton.

He def deserves credit for being a prominent member of their coaching staff during that run but did he really do anything to improve Joe Flacco?
Stat wise didn't Flacco have his best years when Caldwell was there?

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Whole thing feels like bullshit. The old guard firing everybody and deciding themselves who the next guys to run their team will be. But they know jack shit about football. I get it. They brought in Polian. I’m sure he has a voice. but I’d bet the same non football people are ultimately making the decisions. These aren’t Poles guys. They freaking whittled it down to 2-3 guys and are having him pick between their finalists. And I doubt Poles even has the final decision.

And the finalist themselves feel like choices an old sort of out of touch non football guy would pick. And they also feel like the franchise thinking they have to go back to a traditional stereorype as some sort of pendulum swing from Nagy. It feels exactly like the John Fox hire.

I have to just hope it works. It probably won’t though.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Stat wise didn't Flacco have his best years when Caldwell was there?
No but that playoff stretch was his best, imo.

He did have his worst season under Caldwell the following year.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
If the right OC Quinn picks actually has Fields on track next year, he is gone to be a coach.
Could happen that way, but that is not always the case. Take Greg Roman or Pep Hamilton who have done great work with QB's and never gotten close to getting a HC job or even an interview for that matter.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Could happen that way, but that is not always the case. Take Greg Roman or Pep Hamilton who have done great work with QB's and never gotten close to getting a HC job or even an interview for that matter.

Yeah just hire a black OC and he won’t get a job for a while. It’s a pathetic league I need to take a shower typing this but am I lying?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Caldwell blows
"This worries me. If Poles was told that he can pick his HC from the pool of George and Polian's final three candidates then the process is tainted. Perhaps this is why Dodds got cold feet?"

Where have you read this?
From what I have read, Poles accepted this job on one condition..

" ‘OK, here's the deal. I'm doing the interviews, me, and I'm making the call. Don't tell me who (Bill) Polian wants to hire or who Ernie Accorsi wants to hire or who Virginia (McCaskey) wants. I'm picking my head coach or I'm getting on a plane to Minneapolis,’"
They should have let him go. Sounds like a headcase like Flores

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
"This worries me. If Poles was told that he can pick his HC from the pool of George and Polian's final three candidates then the process is tainted. Perhaps this is why Dodds got cold feet?"

Where have you read this?
From what I have read, Poles accepted this job on one condition..

" ‘OK, here's the deal. I'm doing the interviews, me, and I'm making the call. Don't tell me who (Bill) Polian wants to hire or who Ernie Accorsi wants to hire or who Virginia (McCaskey) wants. I'm picking my head coach or I'm getting on a plane to Minneapolis,’"
For the record these are not Poles' words. You are quoting Kaplan who was paraphrasing Poles and making things up just to make a point.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
But if it is a great hire of an OC and he brings the Bears passing game out of the 1970's, he will likely get a job lol.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
That year Joe Flacco made me ask this question about QBs in the playoffs. "Do I think this QB can put together 3-4 mistake free games and help their team win a title?" I thought about Cutler and said not a chance.

Flacco was on his shit that year. It took a little luck but he was impressive on that run. But i'll play devils advocate, over the course of that season, Flacco was Flacco. Caldwell just happened to be there. Sort of like when Erik Lambert credited Hackett with Ortons best season. It was Orton being Orton.

He def deserves credit for being a prominent member of their coaching staff during that run but did he really do anything to improve Joe Flacco?
I think long-term Flacco was who Flacco was, The Ravens fired Cam Cameron late in the season and Caldwell was able to step in and get the offense to be more consistent. Granted that was 2012, and offenses have evolved quite a bit. But he was able to adjust to the players strengths that year. He's not my first choice, but he's better than some of the candidates being thrown out there.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
IDK man. Its a pretty small sample size for anything concrete. Flacco took a step back the following season with Caldwell. I like what he did with the Lions as a HC, but i have my doubts about how important he was during that stretch.

Sure it is a small sample size. That is a different argument to your first claim which gave the impression Caldwell was the OC for the whole year.

The point though is at least you have to try and explain away his SB victories with Manning and Flacco. Most of the other candidates don't even a SB win to try and downplay.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You are right, we don’t know. But this thread is to discuss it. Whats the point of having this thread if we can’t talk about it?

I did not say you can't talk about it. I pointed out it is just wild speculation to lament Quinn not being able to get a top OC for Fields when you have no clue who he plans to get.

Bears fans have been doinf their best chicken little impersonations since Pace and Nagy were fired. It is all getting a bit hysterical now.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Whole thing feels like bullshit. The old guard firing everybody and deciding themselves who the next guys to run their team will be. But they know jack shit about football. I get it. They brought in Polian. I’m sure he has a voice. but I’d bet the same non football people are ultimately making the decisions. These aren’t Poles guys. They freaking whittled it down to 2-3 guys and are having him pick between their finalists. And I doubt Poles even has the final decision.

And the finalist themselves feel like choices an old sort of out of touch non football guy would pick. And they also feel like the franchise thinking they have to go back to a traditional stereorype as some sort of pendulum swing from Nagy. It feels exactly like the John Fox hire.

I have to just hope it works. It probably won’t though.

The McCaskey's own the Bears. So yes they get to decide who will run the Bears.

When your defense is “he may bring in good assistants“ you’ve already lost,

This is pretty stupid as it sort of applies to any Defensive HC when talking about OC.

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
Poles needs to keep going back and forth until the process is complete.

I'm going to keep doing these jokes as long as he's here.