Ryan Poles Head Coaching Interviews....

Nelly

Liked Posts:
He is a good coach I just don’t think he can be a long term hire. He needs to explain his retirement plan and have an all star staff. Need a top Asst HC in case he has health problems again. That’s literally my only reservation, age bias.
I don't necessarily disagree but Belichick, Carrol and Arians are all older.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I don't necessarily disagree but Belichick, Carrol and Arians are all older.

They are but to my knowledge they have not been out of the nfl for 4 years and as recently as 2 years ago had to resign due to health reasons.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Older but have a ton of success under their belt as a HC. Caldwell, not so much.
Sure but Caldwell's record is a whole lot better than I thought it would be. 24-8 in Indy when Peyton Manning was available. He was 36-28 in four years n Detroit, which is quite impressive considering it's Detroit.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Sure but Caldwell's record is a whole lot better than I thought it would be. 24-8 in Indy when Peyton Manning was available. He was 36-28 in four years n Detroit, which is quite impressive considering it's Detroit.
I think it’s tough to judge him as a HC with Colts because of Manning. In Det he had some very bad offenses. Yes he’s got a winning record but don’t think he’s the best fit for Fields.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Might as well have hired Caldwell or Quinn first. Hopefully Poles surprises us and goes a different route.
That's the problem and the potential solution all wrapped up in one. Both of these two have shown some success in the NFL and are defiantly experienced in being HC. However, they have also failed to a degree. People are now pointing towards Quinn's issues being with the players (sound familiar). Caldwell, in my mind, has just been so so. Quinn much the same but they are both a high floor so so. If the Bears go with a Daboll or other, never been a HC before, the floor could be a lot lower. a lot.

Edit: Glad I'm not making the call.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I’m not advocating for it but I think that’s what happens.

I know u aren't. It just makes me sick thinking about Quinn possibly coming here, when I know we can do better.
It's the Bears org that makes me sick with these senseless hires.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Poles has nobody to interview either than the candidates already selected by George and Ted that does not look very good for our Bears.

Or it means he was already asked who his top HC options were during the 1st interview and Quinn, Eberflus and Caldwell were among them.

Last edited:

mecha

Liked Posts:
they've honestly been a rudderless ship in his absence. as has been noted.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know u aren't. It just makes me sick thinking about Quinn possibly coming here, when I know we can do better.
It's the Bears org that makes me sick with these senseless hires.
Will be interesting to see what happens considering the "new guy" is making the pick, just on his shoulders, someone not from the "Bears org".

Edit: Does Poles have free reign to gather whomever he wants for an interview... That is the question.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
That's the problem and the potential solution all wrapped up in one. Both of these two have shown some success in the NFL and are defiantly experienced in being HC. However, they have also failed to a degree. People are now pointing towards Quinn's issues being with the players (sound familiar). Caldwell, in my mind, has just been so so. Quinn much the same but they are both a high floor so so. If the Bears go with a Daboll or other, never been a HC before, the floor could be a lot lower. a lot.
Can’t argue that. But I’d rather have someone like Daboll who has had more recent success with a young QB. It will be tough for Quinn to find another great OC and I just don’t trust Caldwell without Manning under center.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I think it’s tough to judge him as a HC with Colts because of Manning. In Det he had some very bad offenses. Yes he’s got a winning record but don’t think he’s the best fit for Fields.

But u can say that about any HC with the good Qb. Right?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agree. I don't care how folks NOW view Dan Quinn. One of the primary reasons he was let go by Arthur Blank and ATL, is because he was terrible in his coordinator and staff hires. Absolutely terrible. Oh, that and the losing big leads in 4th quarters of many many games. Outside of the Shannahan years, his offenses were flat out awful.

To top it off, his teams would go on woeful losing streaks, where the team could not get out of its own way, lots of penalties, sloppy play and ... Sound familiar?

No Thanks. Give me either of the other two guys.

This is factually wrong. His offenses were not flat out awful as they were top half of the league from 2017-2020.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can’t argue that. But I’d rather have someone like Daboll who has had more recent success with a young QB. It will be tough for Quinn to find another great OC and I just don’t trust Caldwell without Manning under center.
Just based on what Daboll has done with Allen, hell yea. However, does that make him a good HC or just a good OC? As we just witnessed, Nagy might have been a better HC than an OC, and probably should have hired a better OC, he might still have a job.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
But u can say that about any HC with the good Qb. Right?
Definitely can. But there are other HCs out there who still led their teams to successful season when the starting (good) QB went down. Caldwell is not part of that group. I’d be more interested in Caldwell as the OC, not HC.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Just based on what Daboll has done with Allen, hell yea. However, does that make him a good HC or just a good OC? As we just witnessed, Nagy might have been a better HC than an OC, and probably should have hired a better OC, he might still have a job.
Exactly and who knows. Daboll as a HC is a question mark. If I’m taking a risk/reward option it would be with Daboll. You kind of know what you are getting with Quinn and Caldwell. Daboll has a lot of room to grow.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
forget the "offensive guru." term. What was Lions w-l record under Caldwell ? And what have they done since Caldwell?
He was the only coach in the past 50 years to have that team back to back winning seasons ( I think that's accurate ) and he's 6-2 in the playoffs. Not my ideal coach, prefer him over the other two.

EDIT: Sorry, 2-4 in the playoffs

" prefer him over the other two."
Agreed, For me, I see him as more qualified than the other 2.