Phibbulous

Thread Killer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Toronto Blue Jays
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Toronto Maple Leafs
  1. Michigan Wolverines
I'm really hoping Poles will expand the search and talk to Flores himself and maybe Bieniemy.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I'd agree with this, provided that these weren't already on his short list. You'd think that a guy who has been in strong contention for a GM position the last year or so, who is even remotely prepared, would have a list of potential HCs he would want to talk to.
Agreed 100%. If Poles picks from the pre-selected list, we will know he is a puppet. That's what happens when you hire a 36 year old executive getting his first shot in the big leagues.. they will do whatever it takes to get the job even if that means taking on a lame duck coach.

Pretty identical to the route they took with Pace.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Probably hiring Dan Quinn tonight.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
Recently, he coached a high school team for two seasons and they went 1-21. We'd be foolish to pass up on that.
I want a guy with fire and passion. A guy who will drop his pants in front of his team and make them play tough, smash mouth football!

Visionman

Liked Posts:
For those that like Caldwell, go look at Stafford's production under Caldwell.. its was about the same he did his whole career in Detroit.

He is not an offensive guru.
He was working with a younger Stafford. He really wasn’t a good QB back then. He was Trubisky without the mobility…

Nelly

Liked Posts:
For those that like Caldwell, go look at Stafford's production under Caldwell.. its was about the same he did his whole career in Detroit.

He is not an offensive guru.
Look at the record. 11-5 in his first year, then 7-9, 9-7 and 9-7... in Detroit. That's like going 13-3, 9-7, 11-5 and 11-5 in any other town.

It's not about Fields' numbers: it's about him developing into a winning quarterback. Russell Wilson wasn't the superstar he later became on paper because Seattle ran the ball down people's throats with Marshawn Lynch and shut them down defensively with Wilson being more than good enough to make plays in the passing game when needed. That's a good template to follow here in the meantime with David Montgomery looking like one of the game's few workhorse backs.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Look at the record. 11-5 in his first year, then 7-9, 9-7 and 9-7... in Detroit. That's like going 13-3, 9-7, 11-5 and 11-5 in any other town.

It's not about Fields' numbers: it's about him developing into a winning quarterback. Russell Wilson wasn't the superstar he later became on paper because Seattle ran the ball down people's throats with Marshawn Lynch and shut them down defensively with Wilson being more than good enough to make plays in the passing game when needed. That's a good template to follow here in the meantime with David Montgomery looking like one of the game's few workhorse backs.

Maybe Caldwell joins the staff of the hire?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
forget the "offensive guru." term. What was Lions w-l record underCaldwell ? And what have they done since Caldwell?
He was the only coach in the past 50 years to have that team back to back winning seasons ( I think that's accurate ) and he's 6-2 in the playoffs. Not my ideal coach, prefer him over the other two.

EDIT: Sorry, 2-4 in the playoffs

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Maybe Caldwell joins the staff of the hire?
Who knows. I'm not saying he's the best guy for the job but I'm warming up to the idea of him becoming the next head coach... perhaps in part because it just reeks of when Ryan Pace took over and the team wanted an experienced head coach to hedge the inexperienced GM. I know Poles demanded full autonomy but we'll see what happens.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Who knows. I'm not saying he's the best guy for the job but I'm warming up to the idea of him becoming the next head coach... perhaps in part because it just reeks of when Ryan Pace took over and the team wanted an experienced head coach to hedge the inexperienced GM. I know Poles demanded full autonomy but we'll see what happens.

He is a good coach I just don’t think he can be a long term hire. He needs to explain his retirement plan and have an all star staff. Need a top Asst HC in case he has health problems again. That’s literally my only reservation, age bias.