Ryan Poles Head Coaching Interviews....

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Caldwell doesn't bother me as much because his resume speaks for itself. Won 2 superbowls as an assistant coach and went to one as a HC. He has a winning record with the Lions. Yea, he's a bit older but maybe you pair him with a Mike Kafka or Pep Hamilton and promise them the HC job when Caldwell steps down if the offense has been performing well. Word on the street is that Caldwell doesn't plan on calling plays. So the OC will have lots of power.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Stop being an idiot. Poles had his choice of jobs. He was a finalist for two others, and word was Minny desperately wanted him.
No need to get angry bro. But if you think that George and Ted picked the EXACT candidates that Poles wanted for HC... well that's just not being intellectually honest with yourself.

Remember George and Ted selected the HC candidate pool before Poles even got his first interview.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Caldwell doesn't bother me as much because his resume speaks for itself. Won 2 superbowls as an assistant coach and went to one as a HC. He has a winning record with the Lions. Yea, he's a bit older but maybe you pair him with a Mike Kafka or Pep Hamilton and promise them the HC job when Caldwell steps down if the offense has been performing well. Word on the street is that Caldwell doesn't plan on calling plays. So the OC will have lots of power.
If this is true, I wouldn’t be as upset with Caldwell as HC.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
If Caldwell is seriously wanting to design an offense around Fields, that would be a huge positive for him. I would not like Fuelds running the same offense Payton, Flacco, and Stafford did. But if he can design a MODERN NFL offense around Fields skill set…

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
No need to get angry bro. But if you think that George and Ted picked the EXACT candidates that Poles wanted for HC... well that's just not being intellectually honest with yourself.

Remember George and Ted selected the HC candidate pool before Poles even got his first interview.
Obviously we don’t know the situation, but maybe Poles supports Quinn or Caldwell as HC and isn’t just a yes man.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

And people were complaining his pool was too big. After the first round of interviews, they narrowed it down. That was AFTER they had an interview with Poles.

Besides, none of us even know who Poles may want to talk to or interview yet. Assuming and complaining about something that literally hasn’t happened yet is quite dumb…

Maybe Poles realizes something clueless fans don’t seem to grasp: we’re looking to hire a HC…not a glorified OC.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Sure but Caldwell's record is a whole lot better than I thought it would be. 24-8 in Indy when Peyton Manning was available. He was 36-28 in four years n Detroit, which is quite impressive considering it's Detroit.
Hell, could Belichick go 36-28 in Detroit?

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I am fine with giving Pep a look. I don't know why Daboll doesn't have a second interview set.
Didn't interview well perhaps, could be he is not on Poles short list. Daboll appears to be on the Giants short list so that could be a tag team hiring of Schoen/Daboll.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Didn't interview well perhaps, could be he is not on Poles short list. Daboll appears to be on the Giants short list so that could be a tag team hiring of Schoen/Daboll.
Just doesn't mesh with Poles allegedly saying "all Fields needs is weapons around him", and you want to take a look at a failed DC candidate in Dan Quinn? If you want to weaponize Fields you would think that hot OCs like Daboll, O'Connell or even Hackett would get a look.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Hell, could Belichick go 36-28 in Detroit?
Belichick lost the best QB in the history of the NFL and is 17-16 over those 2 seasons. Probably the only guy in the NFL that could go anywhere and turn a team into a winner.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I actually wouldn’t mind Caldwell. His experience as a HC can help stabilize the shit show that Nagy left. His connections can help build out the coordinators and staff.

And most importantly, gives an OC a chance to learn under Caldwell and show success calling plays BEFORE he takes over as HC.

Why I really wouldn’t mind Quinn either.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Sure but Caldwell's record is a whole lot better than I thought it would be. 24-8 in Indy when Peyton Manning was available. He was 36-28 in four years n Detroit, which is quite impressive considering it's Detroit.
I saw somewhere that over the last 25 years the Lions have had six winning seasons, and Caldwell has half of them. Not saying this would be a great hire, but what he did in Detroit is impressive considering he had no running backs worth a shit.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Definitely can. But there are other HCs out there who still led their teams to successful season when the starting (good) QB went down. Caldwell is not part of that group. I’d be more interested in Caldwell as the OC, not HC.
How about Caldwell as HC and some up and coming offensive guru as the OC?

To me, that is the best possible solution. Caldwell gives this brainiac his first opportunity to have the OC title while still being able to lead him because of his (Caldwell's) offensive background.

A defensive HC would be unable to guide a young brainiac because he doesn't have the offensive background.

I would be more than ok with Caldwell as HC, a Fangio as DC (he controls the defensive side of the ball) and some young wonderchild who can grow with Fields with gentle guidance from Caldwell.

If Caldwell gets sick, Fangio can be his backup.

Once Caldwell decides to retire, that wonderchild can then become the head coach, having learned the OC position and gotten some insights into being a HC from Caldwell and Fangio. I believe that Fangio will be fine being a DC for the rest of his career.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Belichick lost the best QB in the history of the NFL and is 17-16 over those 2 seasons. Probably the only guy in the NFL that could go anywhere and turn a team into a winner.
There is a world of difference between getting a rookie QB to play effectively (and a has-been QB) in the system that has been run for decades versus going to a new place and having to build from zero.

There is a universe of difference between going to a new place and having to build from zero versus going to DETROIT and having to build from zero.

I hope that clarifies things.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
How about Caldwell as HC and some up and coming offensive guru as the OC?

To me, that is the best possible solution. Caldwell gives this brainiac his first opportunity to have the OC title while still being able to lead him because of his (Caldwell's) offensive background.

A defensive HC would be unable to guide a young brainiac because he doesn't have the offensive background.

I would be more than ok with Caldwell as HC, a Fangio as DC (he controls the defensive side of the ball) and some young wonderchild who can grow with Fields with gentle guidance from Caldwell.

If Caldwell gets sick, Fangio can be his backup.

Once Caldwell decides to retire, that wonderchild can then become the head coach, having learned the OC position and gotten some insights into being a HC from Caldwell and Fangio. I believe that Fangio will be fine being a DC for the rest of his career.
I like the idea, but Caldwell could be the Bears coach for the next 10 years for all we know.