Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It really simple. Find a head coach that has developed young quarterbacks. None of the current candidates really fit that bill.
“Jim Caldwell has been a great coach for me, a great friend for me, a great resource, ally, he was a great fundamental teacher for me, very much a technician, appreciates doing the little things right and he had a big influence on me." – Peyton Manning (Former NFL Quarterback)

"Peyton Manning had put up a lot of numbers in Indianapolis his first three years in the league, but his career really started to take off after Caldwell became the quarterbacks coach." – Tony Dungy (Former NFL Head Coach)

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Has Poles interviewed any of his own candidates or is he just interviewing who he was told to interview?
as far as we know, just the ones already interviewed by the committee.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
So I'm thinking Caldwell brings in Sean Payton as OC or QB coach(wink,wink) negating the Saints rights to compensation, and retires once the Saints clock runs out on his contract and Payton is elevated to HC. @Mighty Joe Young can you verify this for me?

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
as far as we know, just the ones already interviewed by the committee.
Thanks, I just got home and I didn’t wanna read through the entire thread.

I will say if he hired somebody from the committees list without having at least one of his own candidates I’m gonna lose a little confidence in him.

I mean WTF is he interviewing Matt Eberflus for?? Is any other team even interested in him or is it just because of the connection with the committee and the Colts? Serious question.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

I will say if he hired somebody from the committees list without having at least one of his own candidates I’m gonna lose a little confidence in him.

I mean WTF is he interviewing Matt Eberflus for?? Is any other team even interested in him or is it just because of the connection with the committee and the Colts? Serious question.
Yes, the broncos and jaguars

Dpaw

Liked Posts:
Understood. But certainly every candidate came in with a "plan" for Fields. A first round choice that struggled his first year, anybody with a brain knows that is a talking point.

What I am say is show me a candidate who HAS developed QBs. Caldwell, Quinn and Eberflus don't fit that role at all.
I think that’s why it’s important to develop a good staff. You keep saying Daboll should be the guy because of his work with Allen. Well who’s to say these 3 guys can’t bring in quality OC/QB coach to develop Fields?

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think that’s why it’s important to develop a good staff. You keep saying Daboll should be the guy because of his work with Allen. Well who’s to say these 3 guys can’t bring in quality OC/QB coach to develop Fields?
I feel that the most important job is to develop Justin fields. The entire defense can goto shit, if Fields gets developed then we have a shot every year. It’s so easy to find a defensive coordinator and to re-tool the defense.

Justin has an honest shot of being a top-five quarterback and if we don’t develop him in the next couple years he will be average at best. So, why take a chance iron a guy who may or may not be able to find a unicorn O coordinator.

How many average or better D coordinators have we seen on the Bears? A lot! How many average or better O coordinators have we seen on the Bears? Zero! Around the league when A O coordinator who’s average or better emerges he becomes a head coach. That’s not always true with the defensive coordinators.

46plank

Liked Posts:
I feel that the most important job is to develop Justin fields. The entire defense can goto shit, if Fields gets developed then we have a shot every year. It’s so easy to find a defensive coordinator and to re-tool the defense.

Justin has an honest shot of being a top-five quarterback and if we don’t develop him in the next couple years he will be average at best. So, why take a chance iron a guy who may or may not be able to find a unicorn O coordinator.

How many average or better D coordinators have we seen on the Bears? A lot! How many average or better O coordinators have we seen on the Bears? Zero! Around the league when A O coordinator who’s average or better emerges he becomes a head coach. That’s not always true with the defensive coordinators.
Gary Crowton ? The. Bubble screen king

Soterod

Liked Posts:
I agree. I don't care how folks NOW view Dan Quinn. One of the primary reasons he was let go by Arthur Blank and ATL, is because he was terrible in his coordinator and staff hires. Absolutely terrible. Oh, that and the losing big leads in 4th quarters of many many games. Outside of the Shannahan years, his offenses were flat out awful.

To top it off, his teams would go on woeful losing streaks, where the team could not get out of its own way, lots of penalties, sloppy play and ... Sound familiar?

No Thanks. Give me either of the other two guys.
I am not on the Dan Quinn band bandwagon either!!

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers

The early reporting I've read/heard is that these three "finalists" were guys Poles named as people he wanted to talk to when they were interviewing Poles about who he'd be interested as head coach. Whether that reporting is true or not, I don't know.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd agree with this, provided that these weren't already on his short list. You'd think that a guy who has been in strong contention for a GM position the last year or so, who is even remotely prepared, would have a list of potential HCs he would want to talk to.
I just fear that in 2 years from now we’re going to hear leaks that Matt Eberflus was not Poles choice but was pushed on him , And he didn’t have any draft capital his first season so year three should be the first year to evaluate him with his hand picked head Coach and It will be year 3 that Justin is finally ready to be developed in a new system.

Why can’t they just do the obvious choice for once.

Rise

Liked Posts:
The early reporting I've read/heard is that these three "finalists" were guys Poles named as people he wanted to talk to when they were interviewing Poles about who he'd be interested as head coach. Whether that reporting is true or not, I don't know.

I just don’t buy it. 2 of the 3 guys he just so happened to ask to talk to are Polian cronies? Doubtful.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I just don’t buy it. 2 of the 3 guys he just so happened to ask to talk to are Polian cronies? Doubtful.
I don't either but that's what the reporting on it has been. So either the Bears magically got better at not leaking the truth or they're guys he wanted to interview. We'll find out soon enough, I assume.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
A winning defense? Why can’t we get a winning offense, the defense is fine.
Exactly. This is what happens when the Bears have been the doormat of the NFC North over the years to our division's QB's. They never answered the QB or offense question (they got close with Cutler). They keep trying to focus on having the best D to stop the QB's like Rodgers and Stafford/Goff and fill in the blank.

Our defence has always been pretty good and for the most part, consistent. Can it be better? Of course it can, but now is NOT the time to focus on that.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
So I'm thinking Caldwell brings in Sean Payton as OC or QB coach(wink,wink) negating the Saints rights to compensation, and retires once the Saints clock runs out on his contract and Payton is elevated to HC. @Mighty Joe Young can you verify this for me?
His right back tit says it’s “A done deal” but his left back tit says “Michael Scott from The Office will be hired”

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I want a guy with fire and passion. A guy who will drop his pants in front of his team and make them play tough, smash mouth football!
If he has a stiffy on the sidelines, will his pants drop?

Last edited:

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

I suggest grabbing a few beers or whiskeys and reading through the entire Penei Sewell (OFFICIAL LANCE STONE THREAD OF THE YEAR WINNER) thread. Your life will change and you will thank @Anytime23 for that.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
This worries me. If Poles was told that he can pick his HC from the pool of George and Polian's final three candidates then the process is tainted. Perhaps this is why Dodds got cold feet?

Imagine working your butt off for 10+ years to earn a GM position and then getting saddled with Jim Caldwell.

The Bears better do the smart thing and not force a coach on Poles. If his preference really is Caldwell, I'm skeptical, but let it be his decision.

Last edited: