Ryan Poles - Horrific Start

dolemite79

Liked Posts:
From the article
"Pioli challenged him immediately after Poles, who began his scouting career as a player personnel assistant, presented his first player with his head down and read his report without changing his voice inflection. Pioli told him to come to his office.

“Next time you do report, I want you to put your chin up, look people in their eye, project your voice, and do it with conviction,” Poles remembered Pioli saying. “Because it’s what you believe in.”"

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
As much as losing to the Giants pains me, because I think they are one of the bottom 3 s*** organizations, I haven't lost all hope. But the initial returns have been quite dissapointing.

Some things that negatively surprised me:

Justin Fields Development seems to be going nowhere. The coaches seemed full of themselves showing no concern for not signing or trading for any top free agent receivers. The reasoning was that by simply getting rid of Nagy that Fields would benefit by subtraction. Not so! He has no understadning or awareness of where pressure is coming from or when.

Bryan Pringle/ ESB/ Dante Pettis, etc..these guys have barely contributed on a consistent basis. No one really is stepping up. Until today, Mooney was invisible as well

OL Pass Protection - OL has been doing well in the run game, but has been underwhelming in pass pro. I do think Justin takes alot of the blame here as well as the receivers, but there are plays here and there where the OLineman completley whiff and are in the backfield immediatley.

Tristan Ebner is not as fast or elusive on the field as I hoped for. I thought he could be a dangerous pass catching rb who could make an immediate impact and be a safety valve for Fields. But he looks a tad bit slow and doesn't go north and south enough.

Defense stays on the field too long and doesn't force too many 3 outs. We lose the field position battle and time of possession battle because they allow long drives and get gashed in the running game.

Kyler Gordon - I'm being patient, but he has been getting bested the first couple weeks. I don't think anyone would argue that the initial impression hasn't been good. He will still make a play here and there and is positioned well at times, but has far too many missed tackles and gets taken advantage of at times.

Redzone Offense: Attrocious

Some Positive developments:

Running Game: Overall we have been averaging 150 yards a game. At times we are driving down and dominating in the trenches. We have some maulers and good run scheme. But need to learn to balance it better. If we can find a way to get the passing game going (200+ yards) we may have something nice going on offense in the future. But it may not be until next season when we get some upgrades at receiver.

Turnovers: I've noticed a slight difference in turnovers. Though I will admit they were practically nonexistent under Nagy the last few years. Still nice to see strip attempts and a mentality to get the ball back.

Less Penalties: Not as good as preseason and still some costly one, but still a slight improvement over the previous regime.

Unfortunately that's it for now. which is a negative.

36special

Liked Posts:
Fields is not an elite out-of-the-gate QB and needs a supporting cast. Although I think he can develop into a successful QB this will likely be on his second team. At the same time, I am not willing to let Poles off the hook for Fields failures as he was the one who set him up without any above average talent. Our offseason was trash. If Poles has a similar mindset next offseason I think the majority of fans will turn on him.

By the looks of it we are heading towards Dave Wannstedt territory.

I hope not though. I would love for our guys to be coached up and play well so we stay in games and steal a few more.

Rise

Liked Posts:
The problem is look at next years FA class. Where is the help going to come from? Some say trade but with what draft capital? They only have the standard amount of picks, I know that seems like a lot compared to what we are used to but it isn’t.

Honestly best case scenario is a top 3 pick that we can trade into 3 1sts. This team is desperate for talent. It’s a miracle they won two games.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jeebus this board is full of idiots.

For Crissakes we knew this team was going to suck this year. The prior regime spent all of our draft capital bringing in journeymen, blowing large amounts of capitol on quick fixes and gimmicks to hopefully keep their job and essentially strapping the organization with contracts that hamstrung building of any kind of team.

Lets remember a few things here. This is a team with a new coach, now GM, new defensive scheme, a quarterback that had limited reps last year and had minimal development, a defensive unit in which half the players are almost literally out of diapers, an offensive line that is patchwork and several contracts that were still holding the team back. We all knew the Bears were going to suck this year. It was expected. In some cases things are a bit better than expected.

You know what shitty teams do? They fire coaches and GMs constantly. They spend their money on 'niche' players that cost a bundle but hamstring a team in the long run. They go for the quick fix instead of building a team that can win over several years.

Here are some good things to think about. The Bears, so far have given up less than 20 points per game on average. They are top 5 in rushing yards at this point. They have a lot of money to spend next year bringing in people to fill gaps that they will recognize this year. At this point they are not playing good football but they also are not playing as shitty as most of us thought starting out.

Go ahead and fire the coach and the GM after one season. Bring in another staff. I know that doing things like this has a real, positive effect on quarterback development. Spend all the draft picks on quick fix players that might get us into a playoff game on Nickelodian. Do the same damned shit this team has done since Ditka left and expect a completely different result.

This leadership supposedly is trying to change the culture here. You don't change the culture overnight. You don't rebuild a team overnight. If Fields isn't the QB that this team needs then they will have over 100 million to spend on someone to replace him while we draft a long term replacement. Who knows, maybe Giselle will let Tom play a couple more years in a Bears uniform. Maybe Lamar Jackson won't want to stay in Baltimore. Or we draft someone high up who does have the talent to lead this team. What you don't do is spend your money on Nick Foles and Andy Dalton. Those guys were who you bring in to back up a franchise QB, not replace him.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm glad none of you on the bears. We would be firing the head coach in general manager every season and for as bad as we are, we would 100% be worse than even the Cleveland browns at their lowest or the Detroit Lions. We'd be that level of joke if the Bears ran the way you guys wanted them to operate.

This is Year One of a rebuild with an expansion level roster. You all need to sit the fuck down.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
But that skyline though

pablovi

Liked Posts:
I'm glad none of you on the bears. We would be firing the head coach in general manager every season and for as bad as we are, we would 100% be worse than even the Cleveland browns at their lowest or the Detroit Lions. We'd be that level of joke if the Bears ran the way you guys wanted them to operate.

This is Year One of a rebuild with an expansion level roster. You all need to sit the fuck down.
Wait a few years, and even you will be calling for their heads. Look at a real HC in Daboll and what he can do. It’s clear this guys are not even close.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Wait a few years, and even you will be calling for their heads. Look at a real HC in Daboll and what he can do. It’s clear this guys are not even close.

The thing is, with most NFL head coaching gigs you can say that. Most NFL head coaches who start out bomb. There's nothing about what you're saying that's revolutionary or insightful. You're just playing the odds and the odds are you are correct. But that's not from any sort of insight but just like I said, playing the typical NFL coaching odds.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
The only thing I see positive is they are clearing cap space and have a young roster. I don’t much talent on the roster. The OC refuses to take the training wheels off of Fields, but probably doesn’t have much of a choice because the OL pass protection is shit. There is no talent in the receiving corp and the defense is meh. I’ve been a Bears fan for 40 years this year and it’s mostly the same shit over and over. Horrific offense!

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
On one hand, there would still be fire Getsy threads if the Bears lost 36-35. That's just typical CCS after a loss.

But on the other hand people are pretty sick of losing even if they knew this team was bad going into the season. And they are especially sick of the offense looking like it was beamed here from 1972. They deserve to vent a little.

Of course no one yelling for Poles' head on a platter today will remember doing so after he makes a big splash in FA next year.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You mean kmets screens on 3rd and long..

Yep. And his FA OG Patrick didn’t even make it out there to block the only tackler.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For those saying to relax it’s a rebuild, how the fuck does this team “rebuild” when the players you bring in thru the draft are bums?

That’s my point here! Poles is obviously no better at finding talent in the draft than Pace was so far.

Bears fans now have to wait until Poles learns how to draft playmakers, which will take what, 3-5 years? Then we’ll have to wait until that talent is added, so another 3 years?

Poles shouldn’t get a pass on his first draft which is looking below avg at best, just because “it’s a rebuild”. A rebuild relies HEAVILY on the draft. So far, Poles doesn’t appear up to the task.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Not a good look so far when one of your 2nd rounders looks like he should have went undrafted and the approach to the OL and WR positions are yielding the results everybody except visionless expected.

How long till the mock drafts?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
4 games in that's a harsh take. This team was designed to suck BTW. The Gordon pick does scare me but CB is a position that can take a little time to develop. I think Poles got the coaching hire correct.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
4 games in that's a harsh take. This team was designed to suck BTW. The Gordon pick does scare me but CB is a position that can take a little time to develop. I think Poles got the coaching hire correct.
The HC is responsible for hiring his staff. If you think Poles got the HC right, who on this staff do you have faith in to get the best out of the QB (which is the most important position in all of sports)?

Eberflus didn’t bring one single coach in with proven experience/success at developing a young qb. Probably because these guys become head coaches. And instead of Poles getting one, he went defense. And this team has an avg pass defense and the worst run defense of all 32 teams, despite drafting 2 defensive players with the first two picks and hiring a defensive head coach.

Last edited:

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For those saying to relax it’s a rebuild, how the fuck does this team “rebuild” when the players you bring in thru the draft are bums?

That’s my point here! Poles is obviously no better at finding talent in the draft than Pace was so far.

Bears fans now have to wait until Poles learns how to draft playmakers, which will take what, 3-5 years? Then we’ll have to wait until that talent is added, so another 3 years?

Poles shouldn’t get a pass on his first draft which is looking below avg at best, just because “it’s a rebuild”. A rebuild relies HEAVILY on the draft. So far, Poles doesn’t appear up to the task.

i didnt know rookies careers are determined after 4 games and maybe fields is just bad? no amount of support is going to help him diagnose a defense and see the open man or help his pocket presence

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i didnt know rookies careers are determined after 4 games and maybe fields is just bad? no amount of support is going to help him diagnose a defense and see the open man or help his pocket presence
Hahah oh the irony!

So we need to wait longer than four games to see if a rookie is worth being selected in the 2nd rd.

But you can conclude that fields would not be better if he had better pass protection and/or receivers after four games into the new offense?

?